Brewer Fanatic

Byrd and Buck to the Buccos for class A 2nd baseman

torts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/pirates-acquire-marlon-byrd-and-john-buck.html

Pirates Acquire Marlon Byrd And John Buck

By Steve Adams [August 27 at 1:09pm CST]

1:09pm: The Mets will receive minor league second baseman Dilson Herrera and a player to be named later, according to MLB.com's Anthony DiComo (on Twitter).

Herrera, 19, is having a strong season at Class-A West Virgina. The Colombian infielder is hitting .265/.330/.421 with 11 homers and 11 stolen bases in 479 plate appearances. Herrera ranked as the No. 20 prospect in the Pirates system prior to the season, according to Baseball America, and his solid play in 2013 has him currently ranked 11th among Pirates prospects by MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo.

In their scouting report, BA noted that Herrera has plus speed and surprising power for someone of his size (he's listed as 5'10" and 150 pounds) with the ability to hit the ball to all fields. BA feels that his lack of arm strength will limit him to second base, and Mayo agrees. Mayo adds that Herrera had no problem adjusting to the game after coming to the United States, and he projects an above-average hitter and well-above average runner. Mayo also ranked Herrera as the ninth-best second base prospect in all of minor league baseball.

1:01pm: The Pirates have acquired outfielder Marlon Byrd and catcher John Buck from the Mets, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York (on Twitter).

Earlier today, Rubin reported that in the wake of Matt Harvey's injury, the Mets were exploring trade options and had placed five players on waivers, including Byrd, Buck and Pedro Feliciano. Byrd (pictured on the right) was claimed by an unnamed NL team shortly thereafter, which clearly was the Pirates. It's unclear whether Buck cleared waivers or was also claimed by the Pirates following a season-ending injury to backup catcher Michael McKenry.

Byrd, who turns 36 on Friday, is having a surprising career year despite his age. In 464 plate appearances, he's batting .285/.330/.518. His 21 homers and 136 OPS+ are both career-bests. Byrd is no longer a regular center fielder (just two games there in 2013), but his defense in right field grades out to a solid +6.6 UZR/150, and The Fielding Bible pegs him at nine runs saved. He's owed just $130K for the remainder of the season before he will be a free agent, so he's an affordable upgrade for the Pirates, financially speaking.

Given that salary, it's a surprise to see that the Reds didn't place a claim to block the Pirates from acquiring him. Cincinnati is just 3.5 games out of first in the NL Central while the Pirates are a half-game back of the Cardinals. All three NL Central teams would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, but the Reds and Pirates would face each other in the one-game Wild Card playoff.

Buck, 33, has cooled off considerably following a meteoric start that saw him club 10 homers in his first 25 games (23 starts). Since May 1, he's hitting just .206/.290/.302 with six homers, and he's owed $1.1MM. However, with McKenry out for the season following surgery to repair a torn meniscus, his pop and veteran leadership should be welcome additions for Pittsburgh. Buck has also caught a strong 30 percent of potential base-stealers.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

apparently the PTBNL could be "substantial", as in an MLB'r

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

IIRC, the PTBNL can't have played in the same league as the receiving team. I don't think the Pirates would be allowed to give the Mets any player that has seen time in the majors for them.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I think a PTBNL can't be on the 40-man roster.

If a "Player to Be Named Later" (PTBNL) is part of a trade, the PTBNL cannot be on an MLB 25-man roster (MLB Active List) at any time starting when the trade is executed up until the PTBNL is announced. Clubs have six months to agree on a PTBNL. A cash payment (typically $50,000 for trades involving players on the 40-man roster) can be substituted for a PTBNL if no agreement can be reached within six months.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I think a PTBNL can't be on the 40-man roster.

daniel ray herrera was on the brewers 40-man and we was one of two players to be named in the francisco rodriguez trade.

Based on a previous post I must have been thinking 25 man. I knew there was a roster you couldn't be on and I guess it was 25.

cant be on the 25-man, can be on 40-man, almost always ends up being a MiLB player, rarely ever anyone from the MLB roster unless they're a journeyman type player who is bouncing back and forth from MLB/MiLB

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived