Brewer Fanatic

Starting rotation for 2014

reillymcshane

It's almost as if they want to take the Greinke trade and put it on the mantle as "evidence" of how smart and capable they are.

That is a very good point. The guy has shown nothing at the major league level yet he continues to be allowed to start. In Nashville this season he had 81 walks in 125 innings. And it's not like he lost it this season. That's how he always pitches.

The way Milwaukee treats its pitchers just baffles me.....and probably a lot more people.......and leads me to believe the organization hasn't got the slightest clue what they are doing. Our lack of success in pitching development right now is downright embarrassing. Our entire scouting department needs to go.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's almost as if they want to take the Greinke trade and put it on the mantle as "evidence" of how smart and capable they are.

That is a very good point. The guy has shown nothing at the major league level yet he continues to be allowed to start. In Nashville this season he had 81 walks in 125 innings. And it's not like he lost it this season. That's how he always pitches.

The way Milwaukee treats its pitchers just baffles me.....and probably a lot more people.......and leads me to believe the organization hasn't got the slightest clue what they are doing. Our lack of success in pitching development right now is downright embarrassing. Our entire scouting department needs to go.

Is it the scouts? More and more I think the fault has to lie in the coaches. These guys just aren't developing. None of them.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I said it a few months ago but that low ERA in Nashville when he's basically walking as many as he was striking out was the worst thing that could happen to Hellweg because everyone was going to look at his ERA and say "look how good he is!" when he's just not.

I could deal with him walking everybody right now if he was striking some people out but he's striking out 2 batters per 9 innings. You almost have to try to be that bad.

That's my biggest concern. For a guy that's supposed to have this power arm, he sure struggles badly to miss bats anytime he actually throws a strike.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's kind of hard not to give Thornburg serious consideration for a rotation spot next season. He represents something we have so little of with regards to pitching: upside.

A few months ago, I would never have thought that of Tyler. I thought he was bullpen bound. But he seems to have gotten everything together over the last six weeks. He's only given up one HR in 66.2 innings. That's pretty amazing.

I realize it's only seven starts, but I really hope the team gives him or one of the other young guys, like Nelson, the fifth spot on the rotation next year, instead of bringing in some mediocre veteran with little upside.

Thornburg is having a really weird season. He was pretty bad at AAA and has been pretty good for the Brewers. I'm still not ready to give him a spot in the rotation though. I'd like to see him at AAA for insurance in 14.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't know really what to think as I certainly can't ignore 0-9 with a 5.79 ERA and 1.59 WHIP. On the other hand I also can't ignore his 2 ERA in 66+ innings in the bigs this year so I don't know what to think. Also don't really understand how he has had success but is striking out batters a lot less than his first time in the majors and his career in the minors.

What is going on with Thornburg is he's going from a predominately fastball pitcher to a pitcher that utilizes his secondary pitches way more often, and the results are very positive. He has pretty good secondary stuff and mentally he needs to realize it to move up a couple levels. However, my stance on him is he needs more time to prove him sel over more starts, and should he continue to utilize his secondary stuff he will have much better results.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'll put more weight on what Thornburg did in the majors following his struggles at AAA. To me it's a sign he learned from his struggles and adjusted. That level of maturity is a sign he belongs here. He always had the stuff. His curveball is nasty.

The rotation right now looks set going into next year. It's hard to pick out where each fits, as they all look like mid rotation guys at this point. Hellweg, Nelson and a few others will go in AAA and wait for injury, ineffectiveness to open up a spot. It wouldn't shock me if they brought Narveson back on a minor league deal to give them a lefty option in Nashville too. Another year removed some surgery and maybe the consistency which he lacked this year will return. With Peralta and Thornburg still having options, they have some flexibility too.

If it's not Thornburg who will it be? Some overpriced washed up veteran? Hellweg who has shown himself to be a disaster so far? Nelson who has pitched well but in so little innings it's pretty much meaningless?

Tyler will be like Fiers was this year: based on the previous season's results you have to put him in the rotation until he fails.

TT has a rough start in 3a but what he has done in the Majors have to make people take notice. Hellweg has niot shown the control to be a major league pitcher.and unless he gets taught how to throw strikes he never will. It wierd he the Opposite of TT did well at 3A and a disaster in the majors.

Thornburg, at the very least, has earned his shot at one of our starting 5 next season.

Not giving him a serious look would be ridiculous. What else does a guy have to do?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

2nd half numbers for 2014 projected rotation:

Lohse 5-3 3.27

Peralta 4-6 3.99

Gallardo 4-2 3.10

Estrada 3-0 2.26

Thornburg 2-1 2.19

Runs are down all over baseball, so those aren't spectacular but encouraging nonetheless.

Those numbers, while pitching at Miller Park, are spectacular. If we see anything approaching those type of numbers (doubtful) next year, the Brewers will be at minimum contending all through September.

Lohse 5-3 3.27

Peralta 4-6 3.99

Gallardo 4-2 3.10

Estrada 3-0 2.26

Thornburg 2-1 2.19

Runs are down all over baseball, so those aren't spectacular but encouraging nonetheless.

Runs may be down but the best ERA in the NL for starters over the course of a year is the Dogers at 3.16. The average ERA of those 5 guys has been 2.96 for the second half. Even if they increased a half a run they would be tied for 3rd. If they come close to that next year this team would surprise a ton of people.

The Brewers will score runs with Gomez, Segura, Braun, Lucroy and others. If the rotations is somehow top half of the NL this team will be contending for the playoffs

Lohse 5-3 3.27

Peralta 4-6 3.99

Gallardo 4-2 3.10

Estrada 3-0 2.26

Thornburg 2-1 2.19

YUP!!! I posted poretty much those exact numbers in the optimism thread a few days ago, before Lohse CG last night. its really exciting to see how good they've been in the 2nd half

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Isn't this what happened the 2nd half ( aug and sept) last season? Look how that turned out

Not exactly..no. The sample size wasn't nearly as large across the board. This season the pitching has been stellar since about the 2nd week of June, about the last 100 games. Of the projected 5 for next year, only Thornburg has less than a season of starting experience. That wasn't the case last year.

Isn't this what happened the 2nd half ( aug and sept) last season? Look how that turned out

who is last years shaun marcum?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Jimmy Nelson did well for his first start. Seems to throw a pretty effortless 95 mph fastball.

I would like to think Jimmy Nelson has an opportunity to win a spot next year. He will turn 25 and I would like to see what he has.

So my starting 5 would be

Lohse, Gallardo, Peralta,

Then you have 2 of

Nelson, Estrada, Thornburg

I'm fairly optimistic of the potential of the top six. There may not be a true ace in the mix, but they all look like they could be above average. And I'm not overly concerned about any of them falling off a cliff due to health or the league catching up with them.

Certainly the way they finished the season, plus what they should have at AAA, should keep the Brewers out of the starting pitching free agent market.

If I were the Brewers I'd look to move Estrada. I think he's been pitching over his head the second half of the season and he'll regress to his normal 4.50 ERA type pitcher next year. Maybe we can find a team desperate for pitching that is willing to give up a solid but not spectacular prospect for him.

IF they can find some IF help next year i dont know if I would move a pitcher unless someone offers great value. I know a lot of people disagree but I think this team can contend for a Wild Card spot next year. Gallardo has regained his form. Lohse has proven he isnt a fluke but a solid started. Peralta has very good upside and found consistency after a terrible start. Estrada may be pitching over his head but he is still an effective back of the rotation guy and Thorburg has earned the right to pitch next year. Nelson could go back to AAA or be a bullpen arm.

On offense they will have a very good hitting OF, SS, and C. Hart could come back cheap at 1st. However I still dont know what we do at 3B and 2B. Scooter probably has earned the right to play 2B next year but his lack of walks scare me.

Estrada's numbers since coming off the DL:

9 starts

58.2 IP

33 Hits

11 BB

56 K

.75 WHIP

2.15 ERA

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived