Brewer Fanatic

Starting rotation for 2014

reillymcshane
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what I see for 2014 if no FA is signed and no trade happens.

Gallardo: He will rebound, I am certain.

Lohse: I see him regressing slightly.

Peralta: He will continue to progress and I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the year as the teams best pitcher.

Estrada: I think he is about maxed out. Don't expect a whole lot from him, but he deserves a spot in the rotation to start the year.

Thornburg: As others have said, he needs to be starting right now so they can see what he can do. I just don't think anyone else is ready yet, and I would rather have a high upside guy over a guy like Narv or Gorzo.

....Thornburg: As others have said, he needs to be starting right now so they can see what he can do. I just don't think anyone else is ready yet, and I would rather have a high upside guy over a guy like Narv or Gorzo.

Not that you're suggesting Narveson is a rotation candidate, but if he's anywhere near a candidate for the 2014 rotation, it's a bad sign. He was a #5 starter before he was hurt, a borderline #4 at best. He missed all of last year and hasn't pitched terribly well this year (5.14 ERA in AAA) after a couple months on the big-league DL with a sprained finger (I think that's what I'm remembering the injury was, anyway -- seems he missed a lot of time for a seemingly simple injury).

I think Narveson's chances for future contributions became slim-to-none between last year's surgery & this year's injury.

I like what our 2014 rotation has the potential to be, although it would take some planets lining up for everyone to stay healthy and productive:

Gallardo

Lohse

Peralta

Estrada

Thornburg (or anyone else like Hellweg or Nelson, possibly someone like Burgos if he's healthy again)

An SP acquisition obviously changes the dynamics, but any specifics are like predicting the weather this far ahead of mid-winter.

• 2 weeks later...
It's interesting, after all the ups and downs this year, 2014 rotation will be almost exacty the same as it was going into this season. Only difference, which is a positive, is that instead of Fiers, Burgos, Rogers as your 5-7 starters you have Thornburg, Nelson, Hellweg. Plus you still have these other guys like Fiers and Burgos coming back. Certainly a lot of depth, they just need someone, Peralta maybe, to establish himself as an ace.

I like Thornburg a lot and love the fact that he is MAKING Roenecke keep him in the rotation because everyone here knows Roencke doesn't want him there. I'm hoping for a strong finish to the season and an improved BB:K ratio.

Speaking of BB:K ratio I've been trying to figure out how Hellweg had so much success in Nashville with a ratio that was basically 1:1. I love the guy's potential but can't help but think he still needs to vastly improve his control if he is going to have any success in the majors.

As far as 2014 I think Melvin would be foolish to sign anyone. If he wants to waste money his first move should be the release of Rickie Weeks. I think Lohse, Peralta and Gallardo are locks for the rotation and Estrada is a near lock. That leaves one spot for Thornburg, Hellweg, Nelson, Burgos, or someone else. Ultimately I think it goes to Thornburg. I think Fiers moves to long relief. That leaves a Nashville rotation of Nelson, Hellweg, Burgos, Jungmann, and maybe Pena?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Estrada since he came off the DL:

44.2IP 42K 8BB 2.62ERA .828WHIP

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

ive always been a fan of Estrada

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/799/556/76507830_display_image.jpg?1300667828

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I like Thornburg a lot and love the fact that he is MAKING Roenecke keep him in the rotation because everyone here knows Roencke doesn't want him there. I'm hoping for a strong finish to the season and an improved BB:K ratio.

Actually, isn't the only reason Thornburg is back in the rotation is because Gorz got hurt?

Thornburg was sent back to the bullpen when Gorz got healty. It made no difference to RRR that Thornburg was excellent in the rotation. RRR saw a vet ready to return and quickly delegated Thornburg to the bullpen. Made no sense then, and still makes no sense.

If Gorz stayed healthy, I believe Thornburg would still be toiling in the bullpen.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think these three guys are locks (I doubt they trade Yo):

Peralta

Gallardo

Estrada

Lohse is a probably

After that, I bet Doug signs a vet. I don't think he trusts Burgos or Hellweg or Thornburg to fully commit a rotation spot to one of them.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Actually, isn't the only reason Thornburg is back in the rotation is because Gorz got hurt?

Thornburg was sent back to the bullpen when Gorz got healty. It made no difference to RRR that Thornburg was excellent in the rotation. RRR saw a vet ready to return and quickly delegated Thornburg to the bullpen. Made no sense then, and still makes no sense.

If Gorz stayed healthy, I believe Thornburg would still be toiling in the bullpen.

Gorzelanny got sent to the bullpen after he predictably sucked after a few good starts. Gorzelanny got hurt when he went back to the bullpen.

Gorzelanny got sent to the bullpen after he predictably sucked after a few good starts. Gorzelanny got hurt when he went back to the bullpen.

I dont see how Thornburg hasnt earned a spot in the rotation for 2014. I actually think the rotation should be set as of right now but hopefully a trade or two opens the door for someone else.

Peralta, Gallardo, Thornburg, Estrada, and Lohse should be the rotation barring injury or trade. If they are serious about building for the future Gallardo, Lohse, and even Estrada could be potential trade targets. Nelson, Burgos, or maybe Hellweg could have shots to take the 5th spot if there is a trade.

I have liked what I have seen out of Nelson so far but it would be hard to justify kicking any of the 5 guys you just mentioned out. They just better not stick Nelson in the bullpen and screw him up.

AAA rotation could be pretty entertaining to watch next year with Pena, Nelson, Hellweg, and Jungmann. They should have a mariad of options should the choose to trade some people or if there is some underperformance.

I have liked what I have seen out of Nelson so far but it would be hard to justify kicking any of the 5 guys you just mentioned out. They just better not stick Nelson in the bullpen and screw him up.

AAA rotation could be pretty entertaining to watch next year with Pena, Nelson, Hellweg, and Jungmann. They should have a mariad of options should the choose to trade some people or if there is some underperformance.

Not sure if you were responding to my post but the only way I said Nelson would get the spot is if there is a trade. I think there is a chance either Lohse, Gallardo, or Estrada is dealt. If that happens Nelson becomes the number 5 guy. It really depends on if Melvin thinks they can win next year, if Mark A is okay with rebuilding, and if the market is good for anyone of those guys. Gallardo has definitely got his value back up after taking the time off.

I don't want Burgos anywhere near the big league rotation....ever. He's just not a big league pitcher.

He was pitching hurt in the big leagues. He looked like a completely different guy than the guy who was dominating major league hitters in the WBC. Let him get healthy before you make such a blanket statement.

I didn't want to start a new thread on this but someone needs to explain to me what Roenicke sees in Johnny Hellweg right now. I get that the guy has potential but these are his numbers so far:

26.2 IP 38 hits 22 ER 22 walks 6 K's and a 2.25 WHIP. Opponents hitting .345 against him.

The only way to describe these numbers is to say they are downright awful. I watched a little bit of the game last night and watching Lucroy try to catch Hellweg was like watching Lucroy try to catch a knuckle ball pitcher. It's like once the ball leaves Hellweg's hand nobody has any idea where it is going. Plus he seemed to be sitting in the 93mph range with his fastball, occasionally touching 95. Not bad but I thought he could get it up there in the upper 90's. The guy has no control whatsoever and he'll never make it as a major league pitcher unless his control improves drastically. Yet somehow he has earned another start. The same manager who briefly took Thornburg out of the major league rotation because of his Triple A numbers is giving Hellweg another start.

I don't dislike Hellweg and I certainly want him to succeed because the lord knows that what the Brewers need. But if anyone profiles as a reliever right now isn't it him? Wouldn't he be more successful in one inning stints where he could let it go in the upper 90's and rely mainly on fastballs? Relievers have to throw strikes too but if he could focus on two pitches he may be able to learn to control them a little better.

I don't know. I just don't see any way this guy can be considered as an option for the starting rotation next year.

I said it a few months ago but that low ERA in Nashville when he's basically walking as many as he was striking out was the worst thing that could happen to Hellweg because everyone was going to look at his ERA and say "look how good he is!" when he's just not.

I could deal with him walking everybody right now if he was striking some people out but he's striking out 2 batters per 9 innings. You almost have to try to be that bad.

I said it a few months ago but that low ERA in Nashville when he's basically walking as many as he was striking out was the worst thing that could happen to Hellweg because everyone was going to look at his ERA and say "look how good he is!" when he's just not.

I could deal with him walking everybody right now if he was striking some people out but he's striking out 2 batters per 9 innings. You almost have to try to be that bad.

+1. At least Nelson and Thornburg have shown the ability to make adjustments to the strike zone over time while striking people out. For whatever reason, it seems this regime has Hellweg rated higher. The same Johnny Hellweg who's never been able to find the strike zone at any level. It's almost as if they want to take the Greinke trade and put it on the mantle as "evidence" of how smart and capable they are. It takes me back to what I've heard from scouts at TRat games. These guys not only don't know how to develop pitching talent, they don't even know how to properly identify it when they have it. How is that supposed to make you feel as a Crew fan when multiple scouts from different organizations say the same thing? Yeesh.

Archived