Brewer Fanatic

Khris "KHRUSH" Davis

TURBO
I honestly wonder if Davis is even better than Aoki at all.

The hype on a guy who had a few good weeks is pretty comical though.

Unless you're one of those people who think minor league stats don't mean anything, there's a lot more evidence of Davis' potential than his few good weeks in the majors. The guy has hit at every level. With the exception of an adjustment trauma in his first 135 PAs at AA in 2011, his .822 OPS at Nashville this year is his lowest at any minor league stop. That OPS was driven down by his unusually low .255 BA, so even there his secondary skills were consistent. He has a career .897 OPS in the minors.

What Davis has done so far in the majors isn't enough to project anything, but it's also entirely consistent with his excellent career norms. Expecting an .800 OPS from him seems very reasonable. He definitely has earned a shot to be a starter at this level.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Mark Attanasio sat a few rows in front of me at Citi Field on Thursday and I talked to him for a few minutes (and got a sweet picture) and he brought up how much he liked Khris Davis two or three separate times without any prodding. When ever young players came up he mentioned Khris Davis and didn't mention any other names. I would say that it is likely that they will find a spot for him if Mark has any say. I also thought it was funny when I told him that I thought the team played hard and well after May that he told me that I sounded like Doug Melvin :)) I got the idea that he really doesn't like losing and therefore it is unlikely we will ever see a complete rebuild (which I'm fine with but bothers other people).

"it is unlikely we will ever see a complete rebuild"

I agree. Tearing down a franchise and basically fielding an expansion level (or worse) team will never happen under MA. Pundits, many of whom have praised the Cubs for doing just that are now warning that it will take closer to 8 years, not the initial 4-5 years first thought and there is still no guarantee it will work.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've been following Kh Davis in the minors all along the way and there have been numerous discussions about why he has such a low prospect rating (I normally on the side of saying he was too lowly ranked).

The gist of it is this: He has a weak arm (due to some past injuries/surgeries) and a long swing. But yet, he continues to perform at every stop.

I'm not looking at the 950 OPS he just put up in his 136 ABs. I see his 25% K rate, which is pretty much exactly what his MiLB rate was also. If MLB pitchers find a hole in his "long swing", his K rate should spike (still too small of a sample size to judge here).

So, if I were the GM, I'd push Braun to RF and install Khris as the everyday LFer.

- If he is legit, he probably provides a .850-.900 OPS player

- If not, he probably fails to a .750 OPS player and you do a platoon with Gindl.

But right now, he has shown too much power and eye at the plate to not let him prove himself.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've been following Kh Davis in the minors all along the way and there have been numerous discussions about why he has such a low prospect rating (I normally on the side of saying he was too lowly ranked).

The gist of it is this: He has a weak arm (due to some past injuries/surgeries) and a long swing. But yet, he continues to perform at every stop.

I'm not looking at the 950 OPS he just put up in his 136 ABs. I see his 25% K rate, which is pretty much exactly what his MiLB rate was also. If MLB pitchers find a hole in his "long swing", his K rate should spike (still too small of a sample size to judge here).

So, if I were the GM, I'd push Braun to RF and install Khris as the everyday LFer.

- If he is legit, he probably provides a .850-.900 OPS player

- If not, he probably fails to a .750 OPS player and you do a platoon with Gindl.

But right now, he has shown too much power and eye at the plate to not let him prove himself.

The major league left fielder had a .735 OPS last season. So even if you could get a .800 OPS out of a guy like Davis, you have a better-than-average hitter at the position. Of course, his fielding won't be very good, but even if he comes out an average player, it's not a bad thing - especially at his price. You would hope he would improve in subsequent seasons, making him a valuable player.

One nice thing about Davis is that he hasn't shown big splits in the minors, so hopefully he could go out there everyday.

His fielding has actually been that bad has it? It seems like his routes have been OK and he generally gets to balls you would expect a LF to get too. The only issue I have seen is you can obviously run on him.

I would be all for keeping him in LF and moving Braun to RF. If I were DM I would also listen of offers on Khris if they come in. Some one might overpay for the year he had even though in the long run he is probably a league average LF. Don't shop him or anything but I would at least listen. You never know.

Archived