Brewer Fanatic

Khris "KHRUSH" Davis

TURBO
Just curious but with his major league time this year do the Brewers hold his rights for five more years or six.

You have to accrue six full seasons of major league service time to become a free agent, so they still hold his rights for six more years.

And a "full season", as defined by MLB, equals 172 days or more of service time in a single season -- each season has a total of 183 potential days of service time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the Reds telecast today, Dusty Baker was quoted as saying Davis was the most impressive call up he's seen this year. Considering he's seen Puig, that's quite a statement. Reds announcers have been raving about Davis.

I think we need to find a name for this group of rookies (Davis, Gennett, Gindl, Schafer, and Halton) all whom were all drafted between round 3(Schafer) and round 16(Gennett) and none of whom has ever appeared on a Baseball America top 100 prospect list. Heck, Halton's hardly gotten a mention on the Brewers' top 50. I like "The Unheraded 5".

You've also got Hand and Wooten (Also Prince, Burgos and Fiers) from the 2007-2009 drafts. Throw in trades that included LaPorta, Lawrie, Odorizzi and Komatsu and those are three pretty productive drafts.

We have a glut of OFs and no reliable 1b.

We have a disgraced but very good LF who, if he has two brain cells to rub together, will do what he's told, and who needs a break from the past.

I know Braun was among the worst 3b in baseball history, and I know 1b requires some of the same skills. But I would be stunned if Braun couldn't play a better 1b than, just to pick three examples, Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, or Juan Francisco.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We have a disgraced but very good LF who, if he has two brain cells to rub together, will do what he's told, and who needs a break from the past.

I know Braun was among the worst 3b in baseball history, and I know 1b requires some of the same skills. But I would be stunned if Braun couldn't play a better 1b than, just to pick three examples, Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, or Juan Francisco.

Braun's issue at third was throwing. He wouldn't have to do that much at 1B.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hart actually ended up being a pretty solid defensive 1st basemen though. If Braun could match him I would be happy.

Davis needs to find some consistent playing time in 2014 one way or another. It is a long offseason and a lot can happen but I fully expect Davis to atleast be in platoon situation on Opening Day. Its really anyone's guess if that is in RF or LF at this point.

I also still would not be opposed to the idea of Melvin flipping him this offseason either. If keeps hitting like this he could get some nice pitching back in return. I just don't know yet if this is just a flash in the pan or if he has the sticking power.

Why not give Khrush some starts in RF to close out this year to test him out?

As far as I know the issue with Krush is that he doesn't have the arm for RF. So there is no "learning the position" for him, as that isn't going to improve his arm strength.

Put me down in the trade Aoki camp and Braun, Gomez, Davis, Gindl and Schafer will be the 5 outfielders, even though I don't think Aoki will bring much back alone.

Just watching his routine throws, it does appear that Davis' arm is an issue. Maybe it's slightly better than say a Juan Pierre, but in RF, guys would routinely go from 1st to 3rd on hits to RF if he were out there. Maybe Braun to 1B is the solution. Braun is certainly in no position to fight a move and doing so actually might help him in the clubhouse. If I were advising him, I'd have him offer to make a move.

I'd still deal Aoki, then open up RF to a platoon of Gindl and Halton.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm totally on board with Braun at 1B. Let Davis and Gindl and Schafer handle LF and RF (I'd trade Aoki). Gomez handles CF, with an occasional rest from Schafer.

I guess you could do a strict platoon for Davis, but I really like the power and hate to only let him bat against lefties.

I'd personally try to shop Aoki, move Braun to RF, and start Davis in LF.

I want absolutely no part of Braun anywhere in the infield whatsoever. It wasn't just his throws that were a problem at third; it was his range, his reactions, his pretty much everything.

I want absolutely no part of Braun anywhere in the infield whatsoever. It wasn't just his throws that were a problem at third; it was his range, his reactions, his pretty much everything.

He can't be worse than Francisco. Your lineup, with Braun in RF, Davis in LF, would almost force them to use a LH bat at first and I'm not sure any of the guys they have in Francisco, Gamel or Morris is the answer there. Of course they could sign a Loney or a Morneau I suppose too. I'll take a Gindl/Halton platoon or Gindl everyday in RF over any one of those guys in the batting order.

Third base is a lot harder than 1b and it's just not the throws. It's coming in on slow rollers etc. Braun's a good athlete. He can play there.

He can't be worse than Francisco.

That's not much different than saying Braun can't be worse at 1st than he was at 3rd. Or simply saying he can be worse than totally unacceptable. Davis supposedly wasn't any good at first, but I'd like to see him given some more off season work just to make sure. If he still can't hack it, go with svuemrules' suggestion.

I definitely remember it being kind of a sucking-at-everything-on-defense issue at 3B for Ryan.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

But I would be stunned if Braun couldn't play a better 1b than, just to pick three examples, Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, or Juan Francisco.

I seriously doubt he would be even close to playing 1B as well as Hart did last year...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I definitely remember it being kind of a sucking-at-everything-on-defense issue at 3B for Ryan.

That is how I remeber it also. He didn't have fielding instincts coupled with a very inaccurate throwing arm.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

That is how I remeber it also. He didn't have fielding instincts coupled with a very inaccurate throwing arm.

Which is really surprising considering he was a short stop at a DI program.

Braun was also scared of ground balls. He knew in his head he couldn't field them cleanly and get a throw off. That may have just been self doubt feeding itself through a horrible rookie season, or it could be that he can't hack the infield.

People always forget about Hart's history. He wasn't a corner outfielder who successfully moved to first. He was a first baseman that was pushed to a corner outfield spot because we had a better hitting first baseman in the system. They tried 3rd for a while, but Hart couldn't play it well enough. Hart in the minors: 235 games in the OF, 179 games at 1B, 187 games at 3B. It shouldn't have been a surprise that he could play 1B last year.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I didn't think Hart was great at 1b. He had size, which is a big help, and sure hands. But his range wasn't much, and he's only getting less mobile as he gets older and the injuries pile up.

It would be very unusual if a guy who can play competently in LF, has a history of playing the infield, and has good overall athleticism couldn't play 1b effectively. Maybe Braun's that guy. But moving him to 1b would make a ton of sense if he can play it, and I wouldn't want to assume he couldn't play the position without trying him there.

Archived