Brewer Fanatic

Khris "KHRUSH" Davis

TURBO

There is no excuse not to have this guy starting for the 2014 club.

There are options out there to make this happen, but we can't have a bat like this rotting on the bench, or crammed away in the minor leagues.

At the very least, he has earned the right to be considered as a starter for the 2014 season. we are getting the exact kind of look he deserves with the misfortune of the Braun situation, and he is making the most of it. Surely RRR and DM have noticed right?

It is time to move Braun to RF and give LF to Davis. Trade Aoki and be done with it. If not, teach this kid during the off-season to play 1B, but I just don't think he has the stature for that position. He is an outfielder, play him in the outfield, simple as that. A good organization will find a way to play him, his bat is just too good to waste. I don't want to see Braun at 1B, get a real true 1B and let the outfielders play outfield.

23 games as our starting LF and the kid has 8 homers and 17 RBIs. Ryan Braun who?

Now if only Hunter Morris can have his shot, we may be pleasantly surprised...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I've noticed is that Khris loves to jump on the first pitch. Off the top of my head, at least three of his home runs, including his second tonight, have come on the first pitch.

He's got some serious power. I mean hit it out of any park power. For 5'11" 200 lbs, he's got some serious thump.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Ok, my first three Khris Davis autos:

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/9779/2011chromekdavisbgs.pnghttp://imageshack.us/a/img32/151/11chromekdavisgoldref.pnghttp://imageshack.us/a/img521/6582/11chromekdavisref.png

I have another base and a blue Chrome refractor auto on the way. I got the graded base for $15. That could end up being a really nice bargain the way Khris is hitting the ball.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I agree - hopefully he is part of the 2014 plan. I have been saying this for a while - if the Brewers want to contend in 2014 it will take a trade of an existing outfielder for a starting pitcher. And 1 year of Aoki won't be enough unless you are packaging him with something. In the end your 3/4 are Peralta /Gallardo so Lohse can be a 2 but you still need an ace.

Bombers, how would that get us an ace? Aoki, Morris, and Thornburg might get us a very good pitcher, but no ace.

Our rotation is currently Lohse, Gallardo, Peralta, Estrada, and Gorzy for next year. That's not counting Nelson, Fiers, Thornburg, Nelson, etc as options. I'd say that unless we can add another Lohse or Wolf-type, we're going to battle with what we have. I'd consider trading Aoki. I'd consider dealing Kintzler and Badenhop.

Prince is playing tons of SS lately, so expect him to join Bianchi on the bench. What happens with Weeks? Is there any starting pitcher with a terrible 2014 contract we can trade him for?

One thing I've noticed is that Khris loves to jump on the first pitch. Off the top of my head, at least three of his home runs, including his second tonight, have come on the first pitch.

He's got some serious power. I mean hit it out of any park power. For 5'11" 200 lbs, he's got some serious thump.

That's very smart of him to jump on the first pitch since batters are having a ton of success hitting the first pitch for like the last 20-30 years. However, that AB aginst Homer Bailey tonight he worked the count and crushed a mistake pitch. That's a sign of a really good hitter.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Dhonks - that is where I am at. Trading Aoki won't be enough. So you need to package him with probably our best minor league pitcher in order to get a Lohse type. That would be tough to swallow future pitching for a 1 year stop gap.

There's no magic formula for ensuring the Brewers will contend in 2014. Right now the most logical scenario is that they are near the top of the league in runs scored and the pitching is middle of the pack. The emergence of Davis and Gennett would seem to strengthen the lineup to the point where the first requisite seems quite possible. What they need is for the pitching to be what it's been since June 1.

I'm quite certain Aoki will be dealt, if anything just to make room for one of the young OF. Right now that appears to be Davis, though Gindl and Schafer could still have a say too.

If he continues to hit through the end of the season I think they have to consider moving Braun to RF and giving Davis the LF spot. Braun should be able to handle RF no problem and I think Davis has started to look better in LF then he did earlier in the season. Just have to find a taker for Aoki which I think they can do. Schafer and Gindl can be the 4th and 5th OF. With Aoki gone I would move Segura to the leadoff spot.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Remember how Maldanado and Fiers did last year? How about this year?

I think if Davis gets consistent at bats he'll continue to hit. Hitting has always been his strong point. Maldonado did ok for him but it's not like he was putting up all-star numbers. And I think everyone knew Fiers was pitching over his head. He really tailed off towards the end of the year.

I'm at the point with Melvin and Roenecke where I won't believe Davis will play every day next year until I see it. Roenecke quickly threw cold water on Tyler Thornburg's 3 very successful starts and I expect he'd do the same with Davis. These guys just seem dead set against playing younger players unless they have to.

Like I posted in the Scooter thread...

Remember how Maldanado and Fiers did last year? How about this year?

To my best recollection, Maldy and Fiers didn't have the track record of success coming up that Davis and Scooter had.

I think Fiers and Davis are pretty comparable. Unheralded prospects with excellent minor league numbers (Fiers's career line in the minors is 381.1 IP, 2.81 ERA, 1.036 WHIP, 9.6 K/9, 2.4 BB/9). The potentially huge difference being Fiers was way older than everyone at every level, so may have just been outsmarting hitters. I wouldn't say Scooter has had a lot of success either, with a .745 OPS in the minors (though Scooter has actually been heralded as a decent prospect).

I think they are in a perfect position if they keep Aoki, because he is signed so cheaply and is a passable starting RF, so they can give the starting job to Davis but if he struggles can replace him with Aoki. Trading Aoki away is a mistake because if Davis has a rough spot you suddenly have a huge hole at a marquee offensive position and it starts turning into another disaster season.

There is some validity to the Fiers comp, but hitting lines tend to track into the majors more reliably. AAA repeaters (which doesn't apply to Davis) can sometimes pick-up tricks to inflate their batting lines beyond what they can do in the majors. I fully expect Davis to cool off, but cooling off looks more like an above average bat right now with a chance he could be a .900 OPS guy. Scooter is a bit of a different case for a couple of reasons. 1) He is quite a bit younger than Davis and showing unexpected performance in the latest developing tool, power. In that sense there is some plausibility to the development. On the other hand if you combine his MLB and AAA stat lines for the year the overall totals are consistent with his A ball lines. For me I'd put it in the category of him having shown enough power to answer the question of whether or not he will have enough pop to keep pitchers honest. Overall I'm still think he's probably about a league average bat at 2nd, but I could see him becoming a bit more than that now.

Bombers, how would that get us an ace? Aoki, Morris, and Thornburg might get us a very good pitcher, but no ace.

Our rotation is currently Lohse, Gallardo, Peralta, Estrada, and Gorzy for next year. That's not counting Nelson, Fiers, Thornburg, Nelson, etc as options. I'd say that unless we can add another Lohse or Wolf-type, we're going to battle with what we have. I'd consider trading Aoki. I'd consider dealing Kintzler and Badenhop.

Prince is playing tons of SS lately, so expect him to join Bianchi on the bench. What happens with Weeks? Is there any starting pitcher with a terrible 2014 contract we can trade him for?

Of the guys in the bullpen, Kintzler's good & cheap, so I think he's someone you don't look at trading.

Prince joining Bianchi on the bench? Why? 2 reserve middle IFs? We certainly don't need him as an OF reserve with Schafer, Gindl, Khris Davis, & maybe also Kentrail Davis & D'Vontrey Richardson also in the pipeline as true OFs with better overall skill sets. . . . Other than the AFL last year, Prince has never hit terribly well and is NOT having a good year with the bat in AAA, so I don't get why he'd be on the MLB bench next year. Bianchi is solid enough as a middle IF reserve. You need a corner IF option or two, esp. if Hart's gone & Gamel's starting (remember that Gamel, if healthy, should have a roster spot since he has no options left), and Taylor Green should be in line well ahead of Prince, too. If Francisco's still on the team next year (I hope not), he's also earned more PT than Prince coming into next year.

To me, Josh Prince, for all his darkhorse/underdog qualities, is a guy whose place on the 40-man going forward is hardly guaranteed. Whereas Prince is a depth guy at best, a guy like Khris Davis at the very least is pushing for regular playing time and at the very least would seem to be a far greater roster priority than Prince.

Love Davis's power but this is still his first time around the league....pitchers will find weaknesses and he will have to show he can adjust.

It has been fun to watch both he and Scooter take advantage of opportunities but I'm not penciling them in as starters just yet.

I agree that given Aoki's salary I don't see any reason that he can't be a 4th outfielder. He could start against the tougher right handers but I wouldn't want a straight platoon. Aoki is fallen off a bit this year and shouldn't just be handed a starting job next year especially if Davis continues to hit. Braun, Gomez, and Davis is a pretty nice offensive outfield and I don't think they would be any worse defensively than right now with Aoki.

Or Melvin could try to capitalize on a big hot streak on Davis and trade him this offseason. He could maybe convince a team that he is better than he really is and get a nice starting pitcher in some sort of package.

Lets please keep this to discussing Khris Davis and not about the state of the franchise, trading Aoki, the 2014 roster, the 2014 rotation, or anything else that there is already a thread on and discussion ad nauseum.

I've said that if Davis was able to play RF he would have already been playing there in the minors. Braun has been in LF since before Davis was drafted. I also think that one of the Brewers problems has been that they are too RH-dominant and need more LH balance. I hope that Davis keeps this up, and that the Brewers can flip Davis for pitching or a young 3B prospect. And since Davis isn't eligible for arbitration until 2016 I think they can do this.

Lets please keep this to discussing Khris Davis and not about the state of the franchise, trading Aoki, the 2014 roster, the 2014 rotation, or anything else that there is already a thread on and discussion ad nauseum.

I mean no disrespect but any discussion about Khris Davis as a full time player is going to have to involve discussion of how exactly he'll get that chance. I do think this is yet another advantage the AL has over the NL. If we were in the AL there wouldn't even be a discussion. Davis would be our DH. Unfortunately if he is going to get any significant time one of three things will have to happen

1) Braun will have to be moved to RF. This would actually be a great PR move by Braun. Voluntarily moving to RF to make room for Davis would show the fans he's about the team, not himself.

2) Of course this isn't an option unless Aoki is moved

3) Or Davis could learn to play RF. However almost everyone agrees he is not a right fielder.

I think the whole "Capable of playing LF but not RF" mantra is overblown by scouting types who like to get lost in details. Yes, your arm is tested marginally more than in LF, but how many extra bases does Davis give up in a full season at RF than he would in LF? 10? I don't think the miniscule difference is enough to justify either not starting Davis or moving an MVP-caliber player (who has settled in fairly well in LF according to the eye-test).

at this point Gindl and Davis have the minor league resume and big league potential to deserve playing time. Dealing Aoki, putting Braun in RF, and letting Davis and Gindl split in LF makes sense. Given Braun and Gomez's inevitable nagging injuries, we could definitely get both about 350 plate appearances. Schafer should be able to get 150+ as well with starts or as a ph and defensive replacement

If he can justify it with his bat he can definitely play RF, it sets the bar higher for his bat though if he's going to be a below average corner OF
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived