Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun issues his statements (split from previous thread)

markedman5

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think what Tom H. did was wrong, he pretty much reported on it and ended by pretty much saying "come on, really?", but Buster Onleycaresaboutaheadline can turn in his credentials at the nearest garbage can on his way home tonight

He was printing all the "details" of the lawsuit as if they were basically facts, touting his "exclusive" interview with Sasson, and nobody at the JS ever clarified that all of the most inflammatory allegations actually had nothing to do with the substance of the lawsuit -- leading the average reader to be totally misled.

It's like a homeless person suing Obama for being a space alien and the New York Times printing multiple stories on it. It doesn't make it better if they just preface everything with "The lawsuit alleges ..."

He's not as bad as Olney or anything, but I've noticed that Tom H tends to have players he personally likes better and worse than others, and there is often a slight bias in his reporting. Definitely don't think he's a fan of Braun at this point...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Now TJ Quinn is tweeting the anti-semite stuff as if it was fact.

As for the statement, I agree he needs to face the press in person at some point and answer every question. Also, I have doubts as to his timeline of using only in 2011 but I guess even if that is the only time he used I still wouldn't believe him.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well, that seemed like a pretty reasonable mea culpa, at least in terms of admitting guilt and taking responsibility. Some will feel that was sufficient. There are others who won't be happy until he's confessed every single detail, the date & time & reason of every pill and/or lozenge and their chemical contents, and even then they'll doubt if he's being completely truthful. He'll never please everyone. And some will want to continue to believe every other assertion or inuendo that's floated out there, true or not.

I'm inclined to take his statement at face value. I hope he's said the whole truth. Any further dishonesty or deceit will justifiably dig an absurdly deep hole even deeper.

The one other thing I wish he'd said was something acknowledging that for some people, he knows his words alone won't be sufficient -- basically acknowledging the skeptics (but not their viewpoints and not using words to attempt to convince them) -- but that by his actions over time he will show he's worthy of fans' & teammates' support & trust. . . . . In other words, words are only words but actions usually tell a greater degree of the truth.

Also, I have doubts as to his timeline of using only in 2011 but I guess even if that is the only time he used I still wouldn't believe him.

I get that. Even if he used it once or 100 times, it doesn't matter. He was caught, fought it, denied using it and wasn't honest about it. How many people even remember about Andy Pettite and PEDs? Not many, I bet, because he owned up to it. If Braun owned up to it, I bet there wouldn't be as much other stuff being said. Still, going forward, it all depends on his play on the field.

I sincerely hope he is being truthful in his statement because he lists pretty specific information that could easily be refuted by MLB such as his claim that he wasn't shown any evidence by MLB. Additionally, if there was any evidence that Braun did use other in late 2011 from the Bosch files then MLB could easily squash this statement as well. Oh well, lets hope this is the first step in a long road of rehabilitating his image and reputation.

I sincerely hope he is being truthful in his statement because he lists pretty specific information that could easily be refuted by MLB such as his claim that he wasn't shown any evidence by MLB. Additionally, if there was any evidence that Braun did use other in late 2011 from the Bosch files then MLB could easily squash this statement as well. Oh well, lets hope this is the first step in a long road of rehabilitating his image and reputation.

after everything he's been through, why would he lie more? not you, but people honestly think that are tinfoil hat wearing suckers

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

after everything he's been through, why would he lie more? not you, but people honestly think that are tinfoil hat wearing suckers

Yeah I know!!!

The guy who has lied and lied and lied and even bet his life that nothing entered his body would definitely NEVER lie again!!!

I'm glad he at least acknowledged his usage, and the how and why.

I don't care if he used in college, and I'm willing to bet that the production we got from him last year is pretty on par wig what we'll get in the future. He must have been tested like mad during 2012 on the heels of the failed test.

The reality is that nothing he says will satisfy everyone, and there will always be doubt, but I tell you this, I'd rather he see a career rebirth here rather than New York or LA.

"the fans"

I searched the Braun statement for a reference to brewers fans or Milwaukee fans or a combination and the only thing I saw was the above quote. In his previous comments he also dances around naming Milwaukee or brewers fans in particular as if his greatness and fanbase is universal. It might not bother anyone else, but it bugs the crap out of me that he can't/doesn't acknowledge the brewers fan base specifically. The revenue from Brewer fans is the majority source for paying his salary. They are the fans of the team he plays for and the city he works for and it really is offensive that he doesn't have the PR sense to play to the home crowd.

Only once in 2011 to recover from an injury? Yeah right...

What difference does it make if it's in front of a microphone or a written statement? Honestly, the people who think he used for more than 2011 will still believe that, the people who think it was a one time injury thing will still believe that.

Intersting read from Ken Rosenthal. His "sources" actually seem to back Braun's story. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/ryan-braun-breaks-silence-on-suspension-no-one-to-blame-but-myself-milwaukee-brewers-bud-selig-082213

Braun, as he said in his statement, realized that he had made a mistake — and the extent of his mistake — only when baseball interviewed him in June, asking him pointed, specific questions.

Shortly after that, he requested a second meeting with baseball, admitted to his wrongdoing without even hearing all of the evidence against him, said he was sorry and deserved to be suspended.

Here is a fuller explanation of what happened, according to sources:

As Braun mentioned, he dealt with a left-calf strain in July 2011 and also left a game because of left hamstring tightness. During that time, a third party reached out to him and said that he could get him a product to help accelerate his recovery. The third party obtained the product from Biogenesis, the anti-aging clinic at the center of baseball’s latest PED scandal. Braun did not obtain the product directly from the founder of the clinic, Tony Bosch. Braun did not know Bosch at the time.

Braun used the substance, a cream that he believed to be an anti-inflammatory. Later that season, he took lozenges provided by the same third party. That October, Braun tested positive for elevated testosterone. One of the substances, or the combination of the substances, likely produced the positive result.

Did Braun check the substances with the Brewers’ athletic trainers or other medical professionals, something all players are advised to do in this era of testing? No, he simply trusted the third party, who assured Braun that he was not taking anything illegal.

So, whether Braun cheated intentionally — and it will be difficult for many to believe that someone so smart could be so naive — he had no excuse.

He acknowledged as much in his statement, fully aware that he faces a long road ahead.

"the fans"

I searched the Braun statement for a reference to brewers fans or Milwaukee fans or a combination and the only thing I saw was the above quote. In his previous comments he also dances around naming Milwaukee or brewers fans in particular as if his greatness and fanbase is universal. It might not bother anyone else, but it bugs the crap out of me that he can't/doesn't acknowledge the brewers fan base specifically. The revenue from Brewer fans is the majority source for paying his salary. They are the fans of the team he plays for and the city he works for and it really is offensive that he doesn't have the PR sense to play to the home crowd.

Only once in 2011 to recover from an injury? Yeah right...

Beyond his statement of apology/guilt released Thursday night by suspended Brewers slugger Ryan Braun, he also sent a letter of apology to Brewers fans who receive emails from the club.

Here is that letter:

August 22, 2013

Letter to the fans of the Milwaukee Brewers:

I have always been very grateful for the privilege of playing baseball in the great city of Milwaukee. I am so sorry for letting you down by being in denial for so long and not telling the whole truth about what happened. I am ashamed and extremely embarrassed by the decisions I made. There are no excuses for what I did and I take full responsibility for my actions. I apologize to all Brewers fans for disappointing you.

I came forward because I knew it was time for me to tell the truth and accept my punishment. I understand I have abused your trust and that of our great owner Mark Attanasio and the entire Brewers organization. Admitting my mistakes and asking for your forgiveness are the first steps in what I know will be a lengthy process to prove myself to you again.

It is an honor to represent the people of Wisconsin by wearing a Brewers uniform. I want all of you to know how much I have appreciated the support I've received from so many of you throughout my years with the organization. I will continue to work on improving myself and making amends for what I have done. I am deeply sorry for my actions and I apologize to everyone I have let down. I am committed to doing everything I can to earn back your trust and support.

Sincerely,

Ryan Braun

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/220753471.html

[language cut] Mod note: I know that was meant to be sarcastic, but let's not use that language here.

Just something off about the part where he said he didnt see any of the evidence that MLB had against him and yet he just accepted 65 games because he knew he did wrong?

Not buying it.

You're right, no one has ever confessed to something that they did simply for the fact that they want to come clean.

People do this all the time, whether because of guilt or they just get sick and tired of covering up the truth.

Well, the written statement and letter aren't nothing. He does take responsibility for using a cream and lozenge.

But you issue a written statement when you don't want to face live questions.

There's so much more to this story, and he doesn't want to tell it.

Eventually he will have to actually talk about this. But the letter is a decent start. Like people have already mentioned MLB could easily refute several of his claims if he is indeed lying again. I really want to believe him, I am just not sure yet.

The apology sure is long winded though and I understand why he didn't want to just hold a press conference. At this point it is easier for him to articulate in writing what he is feeling. If he just held a press conference I don't know that he could have gotten the point across that he wanted too. Braun won't be able to hide from the media forever and it would be in his best interest to do it before Day #1 of spring training

Why should he tell it? He either confesses that he's done steroids since his college days and makes MLB's drug testing policy look like a joke, he only did it once in 2011 in which case maybe 5% of the people who care believe him or it's somewhere in between which still sort of makes MLB's testing policy look like a joke.

Eventually he will have to actually talk about this.

I would hope that Attanasio would force that, but I don't know. I could very easily see a scenario where Braun disappears until Spring Training, and then gets questioned, and then says "I have made my statement, and don't really have anything else to add."

I'd like to be outraged by all the lingering questions I have for Braun, but really, I'm more resigned that he's incapable or unwilling to be fully truthful.

Archived