Brewer Fanatic

AT&T UVerse

TURBO

Anyone have it? I am considering dumping Time Warner cable once and for all.

We have TV, Internet and Phone with TWC, and would be switching the entuire works over if we change carriers.

Just looking for input to see if anyone else uses them, and if so, pros and cons. Their prices seem to be pretty darn good.

Thanks in advance.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

My inlaws have Uverse and absolutely LOVE it. They moved from TWC and saved over $60 per month for the 1st year and $25 per month after that. Great picture, decent HD Box and the lineup is fantastic. I can't wait to have it here in my corner of the Fox Valley...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I only have experience with UVerse internet, and while the service is decent, the customer service is absolutely atrocious. I was supposed to get a promo rate, didn't, called 8 times and waited on hold for a half hour, was assured each time that they fixed it and I had a credit on my account for my over-payments. Next, my account was sent to their freaking collections department because I didn't pay the bill after the customer service person said not to because I had been paying double for 5 months and had a $120 credit. The letter told me that "this is your final opportunity to pay voluntarily". Sounds more like what a loan shark or Walter White would tell you.

I've talked to AT&T about Uverse, but the disqualifying factor for television is that they don't offer Extra Innings. The MLB.tv package would be an option for a lot of users, but in our case, the simplicity of getting the games on cable wins out. Still, it's annoying that Time Warner doesn't offer Extra Innings games in HD; MLB.tv would win in that regard.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've heard lots of good things about it. But stuckwith TWC because I have many TVs in the house, and don't want to pay for a bunch of boxes. Also, the trmendous pain of changing my email address. If it wasn't for those two things, would have changed a long time ago.

I was a TWC customer since 2009, we just switched to U-Verse two weeks ago. Really like it so far. Prices are good and all my customer service experiences so far have been good. I had been charged $49 for installation even though when I signed up online it said that would be waived. I did a chat with a U-Verse rep and they credited my account the $49 right away. Also thought my installer was great. He was in and out in a decent amount of time and was very nice and answered all our questions.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Had for 6 years and moved where the only option was TWC and then moved again and went back to U-Verse. Night and day difference. TWC is terrible. Highly recommend U-Verse.

Great channel lineup even in the lower tiers, great HD picture. Can record more shows at the same time as TWC and have way more space on the DVR (I think I'm over 200 hours of HD recordings right now with some room left).

Not a fan of the HD on Uverse. Seems that they are a step below TWC on HD and internet but cheaper especially during promo period. Can be tempting with the issues TWC has with ch. 4 right now but I wouldn't switch to Uverse.

Community Moderator

We had U-verse U200 for three years but decided to drop when we moved to save money. It was far superior to Charter. There were a number of positive aspects: 1) not a single service interruption in 3 years; 2) wireless router and battery backup included so we still had internet when power was out; 3) universal system, easy to use remote; 4) no hassle when we wanted to cancel, just drop equipment off at UPS store.

Internet and U200 was about $140/month after the promotional period expired. Way too much for a grad student budget.

I know a lot of people don't like it but I love DirecTv.

All the sports channels in Hd. MLB Network, NFL Network, NHL Network, NBA TV, Tennis and Golf channel, Espn 1 and 2 and ESPN News, Nbc Sports Network, Cbs Sports Network, Fox Sports 1 and 2 and Big Ten Network.

Plus if you're new you could get NFL Sunday Ticket for free for a season.

I just did this two weeks ago. First year it's $52/month without movie package, which you get free for first 3 months. My rate is lower because I also used a referral to save $10/month for 10 months. Plus I have another friend who's going to sign up and use my referral to save us both an additional $10/month.

I know this was about ATT, just wanted to chime in.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I've heard lots of good things about it. But stuckwith TWC because I have many TVs in the house, and don't want to pay for a bunch of boxes. Also, the trmendous pain of changing my email address. If it wasn't for those two things, would have changed a long time ago.

This is the main reason I have stuck with TWC as well (several TVs). TVs in the basement, kitchen, bedrooms...don't need boxes for those. Although, I heard something the other day about TWC taking 4 or 5 channels off the "non-box" option and I'm wondering if this will be the trend and eventually all TV's will need boxes to get cable TV.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A Time Warner technician who came to the house recently said that the "straight from the wall" option will be going away. She said that the product they'll be using won't be a full-fledged behemoth box. She also said there were issues with getting these things to install properly, so hopefully, we don't see this change until the bugs are ironed out.

Even without Time Warner making the decision for us, "straight from the wall" cable is becoming less and less viable as households fill up with HD sets. If you don't use a box on an HD television, the picture is pretty crummy.

FVBrewerFan, are you sure that you'll lose your Time Warner e-mail if you drop their service? AT&T will let you keep your e-mail if you drop them.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I just did this two weeks ago. First year it's $52/month without movie package, which you get free for first 3 months. My rate is lower because I also used a referral to save $10/month for 10 months. Plus I have another friend who's going to sign up and use my referral to save us both an additional $10/month.

I know this was about ATT, just wanted to chime in.

The one thing that is spotty is the DirecTv customer service but my GF and I found a good way to work around this. If you have an issue, and you need to call DirecTv and get a crappy service person, just hang up and call back. We did this when our DVR took a crap and needed a new one and the first lady was being [expletive deleted]. We hung up, called back, got a really nice woman and got everything taken care of.

I really like the whole home DVR and also the ability to record more than one show at a time. Also with the push of a button you can view the weather, sports scores, etc with built in TV apps.

Each wireless TV receiver is only $7 for AT&T so it's not like you're spending a ton on them either. Even if you have 8 TVs it's still only $56 and being able to record and watch recorded shows from any TV in the house and move TVs where you want them to is well worth it.

We have three TV’s: one in the living room, one in my man cave and one in our bedroom. The wired box is on our big TV in the living room, that box is free of charge. I got one wireless receiver that I can move from my man cave and to our bedroom so I only have to pay an extra $7 a month. The tech even gave me remotes for each room and HDMI cables for each so I just have to disconnect from the HDMI and the wall outlet to move the wireless. Not bad.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

FVBrewerFan, are you sure that you'll lose your Time Warner e-mail if you drop their service? AT&T will let you keep your e-mail if you drop them.

Good question, I just assumed if I left TWC (incl internet service) I would lose my email with them. Now I'm going to look into this.

Still have an issue with multiple TVs, until I'm forced to do so I just don't want to pay for multiple boxes every month. I realize I'm not getting a good HD picture on my other sets, but I don't mind because I don't watch those sets. Wife and kids don't care, so as long as the "main" TV has HD, that's all that counts. In my set-up I would need at least 4 boxes, even using wireless boxes. So that's an extra $21 a month just for boxes.

I know this topic is about U-Verse, but I'm seriously thinking about jumping from Charter right now. Seems like both Dish and Directv have some good deals going right now. U-Verse isn't an option in our city.

Our current "deal" with Charter is up in October or November so I'm weighing options. We currently have a bundle with cable, internet, home phone. Probably going to drop the home phone line permanently as I don't need a fax machine as much as I used to.

The big thing I know I would hate with satellite is picture cutting out in rain or snowstorms. And yes, it does go out...my parents have Dish, have a house on top of a hill, and it goes out whenever there's a decent rainstorm.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The big thing I know I would hate with satellite is picture cutting out in rain or snowstorms. And yes, it does go out...my parents have Dish, have a house on top of a hill, and it goes out whenever there's a decent rainstorm.

It may be their install as opposed to that single instance meaning its true for everyone. I haven't had a dish in a while, but when I did I installed it myself and took the time to make sure it was aimed perfectly and had zero deflection no matter how windy or rainy it got and I was able to easily clean it since it was off a deck. I had less problems with losing signal than I have ever had with TimeWarner, Comcast, and UVerse.

Archived