Brewer Fanatic

Calling all baseball coaches

Hammer

I am one of the coaches for my 7 y/o sons baseball team. This past summer he played in the 7U and 8U age group and next year he will be in the 8-9U team. He (along with about 4-5 other boys) can really hit...I'm talking about hitting embarrassingly well for children their age. The struggle for the team, though, is developing a consistent and accurate throwing motion. I know that there are tons of videos on youtube but most of them fail to address the beginning baseball player. Have any of you found a go-to video or training technique that helps develop arm strength and throwing consistency?

Thanks all!!

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Not sure what the exact issue is with the throwing but I'm guessing it's they don't take the ball back properly. Some the "visualization" that I used when coaching my son's youth teams was to imagine "snake eyes" on the knuckles of the two fingers that grip the ball (the forefinger and the middle finger) and that the two "eyes" should "look at" the target when you bring the ball back (and not be behind the ball like most kids tend to naturally throw).

Another drill that I would use to help reinforce this image (I would use this a lot with pitchers), is to stand behind the player holding the ball behind them and about head high or higher. I would ask them to start their throwing motion without the ball and then bring their hand back and grab the ball forcing their arm and hand to be in the correct throwing position.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ooh...I really like that 2nd one Patrick...thanks! The troubles are mainly in accuracy and repeating throwing motions. We have a sidearmer, a 3/4, and a couple of over the top throwers. None of them bring the ball back to the correct distance and all of them have trouble with accuracy upon release...

Are you talking about pitching mechanics, or throwing in general?

Yes there is a difference, especially with the lower body mechanics...crow hops for OF's...foot "shuffle" or what we would sometime's refer to as "heel clicks" for infielders. However, my guess is with 7 and 8 year olds it's has a lot to do with arm location, extension, grip, etc.

One other drill that I thought of and I have seen done at the HS level as well is players doing warm up tosses on one knee (kneeling on the same side as the throwing arm). Then drop the arm down, past the belt, and then back up behind and above the head. Repeat 3 times before making the actual throw, stopping each time to look back at the position of your arm, hand, grip, etc. Then when completing the throw making sure you followed through and the throwing arm goes across the "up knee" (this part mostly beneficial for pitchers). If you pair the players up and in a line and have them do this you can easily check each players "throwing position" when they pause at the top. For the players who are not at the proper position, you can go to them and manually move the arm/hand to where they should be, so that they get the feel of the "proper" position.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

What Patrick describes is what we call a "pitching progression" for our high school and 14U leaguers. We initially wanted everyone to do it but ended up just doing it for the pitchers who were doing their throwing that day. We actually have a few more stopping points during the progression, but you should be able to isolate issues very well as described by forcing the kid to have to think about each step.

I really like the one where the kid has to reach back and grab the ball. Makes me wish I was coaching that level again!

I should also add that I don't think the crow hops/setting feet is stressed nearly enough at the youth level. By all means, introduce those concepts so they are burned in early.

The most important advice I can give you is to just have the kids throw. I know it sounds really simple but it is really important. Most of my high school players don't touch a baseball between the last game of the season and the first practice of the next year and it's embarrassing to watch them try to play catch to warm up. Their mechanics are terrible and they are gassed after about 5 minutes.

At the age you are talking about keep it really simple. They aren't going to understand too much about mechanics and it will probably make them disinterested if you talk about it. Just have them throw and focus on making sure they are reaching back and following through.

Thanks for the tips all! We are going out to the park tonight to take some swings (their favorite part) and work on throwing mechanics. The kids have been watching a lot of the LLWS and have a goal of trying to be the Wisconsin representative in 3 - 4 years. While **I** understand how hard that will be the kids are thinking that they can do it if they continue to "work hard and have fun".

Those last 5 words made my day when I heard them...

Thanks for the tips all! We are going out to the park tonight to take some swings (their favorite part) and work on throwing mechanics. The kids have been watching a lot of the LLWS and have a goal of trying to be the Wisconsin representative in 3 - 4 years. While **I** understand how hard that will be the kids are thinking that they can do it if they continue to "work hard and have fun".

Those last 5 words made my day when I heard them...

That really is all-important. Good luck, & definitely keep us updated!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Kids had a blast tonight! I used the drill where I stood behind the kids during their throwing motion and put the ball in their hand when their arm was in the correct position. It seemed to help quite a bit. We also did a "power position to a crow hop" drill that the kids loved only because of the name. :)

I also have to brag a little bit. My 7 y/o son one hopped the fence at the 220' sign during BP. Yep...really proud here :)

Great to hear Hammer and yes the working hard and having fun should go without saying and sometimes sounds "cliche", but there are so many youth coaches out there that say they just want the kids to have fun, but then coach the team in a way that does not really coincide with that line of thinking.

My son just finished his first year of HS baseball this year and is now playing Fall Ball. I coached his youth teams from the time he was 5 through U14. I was volunteered to coach against my will at the pee wee level, and there was no getting out from there (Of course, looking back, I'm so glad that I was forced to coach as I ended up really enjoying it). One thing I always tried to stress is the importance of being good team mates and that there is no room for egos (on or off the field). I never hesitated to sit one of the better players if I thought they were not being a good team mate, not exercising good sportsmanship, or not giving there best effort. I'd rather lose a game than allow these type of behaviors to happen. You can never let any kid on the team believe they are so good that they can do what ever they want and not have to worry about ever being benched. Winning is never that important.

Best of luck. Coaching can be quite a commitment and hopefully you can avoid the politics that unfortunately goes along with youth sports at times.

Archived