Brewer Fanatic

comedies that others haven't seen

DHonks

Hey all, the movie quote thread reminded me of another set of movies....hidden sleepers. That is, movies I find hilarious but most haven't seen. These aren't the classic comedies, but movies I enjoy

Real Men

Death to Smoochie

oooh, I forgot about "Noises Off." Yes, I realize it is based off the stage production of the same name, but the movie is hilarious, especially if you've ever been a part of the theater.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

"A Shot In the Dark" was a Pink Panther movie that sometimes gets forgotten because it didn't have Pink Panther in the title. It was also the only one that didn't have the Pink Panther theme song. Another lost Peter Sellers gem is "The Mouse That Roared"

I think Martin Mull's "Serial" is pretty funny.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The problem I have with British shows is that sometimes I have no idea what they are saying.

That's where closed captions come in very handy. It's nice to not have to be stressed out about understanding what some mush-mouthed cockney is saying and worrying that whatever it was might have been integral to the plot. It can be a little annoying when watching comedies because the punchline'll be spoiled sometimes but I still prefer to use them when watching shows featuring people with thick accents. Makes the shows much more enjoyable, imo.

Strange Brew is one that I always feels like hasn't been seen enough.

Agreed...they never have it on TV. This is some of the old John Cusack 80's movies like "Better off Dead" and "A sure thing". Never see these on TV.

Then there are others like Idiocracy that are on all the time. Not that I don't like Idiocracy, but it kills me when someone says they never saw it. How could you avoid it!?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Also not a movie, but Fishing With John.

John Lurie knows nothing about fishing but that doesn't stop him from taking his friends Jim Jarmusch, Tom Waits, Willem Dafoe, Matt Dillon and Dennis Hopper fishing in exotic locales like Montauk, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Maine and Thailand in search of Great White Shark, Red Snapper, Giant Squid and more.

Be Cool....Specifically, Vince Vaughn is great in this.

Rat Race....thought John Cleese and Rowan Atkinson were particularly funny in this.

Three Amigos....I know it was huge at the time it came out, but you don't really see it on TV anymore (at least I don't). Still one of my favorites.

Top Secret!....Val Kilmer at his early comedic best.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I bought Top Secret at Best Buy for $5. Felt like I was stealing it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Another couple that are a lot like Top Secret are Kentucky Fried Theater and Young Doctors In Love. Kentucky Fried Theater was originally the name David and Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams gave themselves for their theater group while at UW. They are all Wisconsin through and through. Young Doctors In Love was not from them but along the same line of silliness. Maybe a little more like a National Lampoon spoof than the Zucker/Abrahams stuff.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Top Secret!....Val Kilmer at his early comedic best.

Add "Real Genius" to the early Val Kilmer stuff.....

I liked that one a lot too, I've just see it replay quite a bit, so that's why I didn't include it. Good call!

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Archived