Brewer Fanatic

Ramirez activated Gindl to Nashville

markedman5

I don't like to see Gindl sent down though. He has done pretty well when they have asked him to play. I suppose it is just a numbers thing and he will be back up in 3 weeks anyways.

Even if he comes back and plays well I don't see any team offering anything more than salary relief. Have we heard of DM sent him through waivers yet or was he going to wait until he comes back and plays a bit? I hope he waited

I'd rather one of the, get ABs in the big leagues and the other in AAA than see both split time in the big leagues. Let Davis get 50-75 PAs over the next few weeks, and then bring Gindl up and let them split time, and play some for Aoki down the stretch.

when you're not playing for anything but the top pick, why get rid of the problem?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

when you're not playing for anything but the top pick, why get rid of the problem?

Because you risk poisoning the well with your paying customers. The Brewers are going to have an early draft pick anyways. Show you care about your customers' experience by putting your best players on the field.

Gindl deserves to stay, but they would have had Aoki, Davis, Schafer and Gindl for two spots, they basically picked an outfielder, and sent him down.

It's not about Yuni, who certainly deserves to go, it's about numbers. I would have done the same thing.

Caleb will be back Sept. 1.

What splitterftj said - do you keep two backup OFs for two positions, or do you keep two backup IFs for four positions?

For those who haven't noticed, Roenicke has been doing a good job of putting the young guys in positions to succeed. He's playing L-R matchups, guys who have had success against certain guys in the past, etc., which has helped Gindl, Davis, and Francisco have success. Build the confidence of those guys so they can either perform better in the future, or make them look better in case you need to deal them in the offseason to acquire young pitching.

this move keeps the brewers with a four-man bench. that essentially becomes a three-man bench if they continue to ease ramirez in and replace him mid-game as they did last night.

I'm always leery of knee injuries. I really hope this is something that was cured with rest and is now 100%. If they need to "ease him in," substitute for him, and give him a couple of days off a week, then the knee is not fixed. Either it needs more rest or surgery or it will continue to be an issue. I hope they're not foregoing surgery just so he can get some playing time in this season, which may mean he ends up having surgery in the offseason or that he will be a part-time player for the rest of his tenure with Milwaukee. If he needs surgery or to be shelved for the rest of the season, just do it so he's 100% to start next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, but even in a down year Ramirez still has the highest OPS of any 3B in the NL Central and I don't think an argument can be made that he's not the best. The only one who is close is Alvarez, and his poor defense (most errors of any player in baseball regardless of position this year and last year) negates some of that OPS. Freese, Frazier, and Valbuena are all almost .100 lower in OPS. When I expand to 275 PAs Ramirez ranks 9th out of 28 ML 3B in OPS, and in a down power year for him because of injury his SLG ranks 11th out of 28.

Point being, I think some have unrealistic expectations of him and he is better than some think. And if the Dodgers don't win the World Series this year, I think it will be easier to trade him and bring back more in return than some people think too.

His OBP this year is the same as it was the two previous years (.356 this year versus .360 and .361). Since he came off the DL his OPS is .836, right in line with his career of .844. If he wouldn't have played when his knee was injured his would be having a great season. Yes, injuries are a concern but he's not really declining with age yet.

Archived