Brewer Fanatic

Greinke to his Catcher: You're gone!

ilikewisco

Found this in a Ken Rosenthal piece linked in MLBTR's. Thought everyone might enjoy.

GREINKE TO HIS CATCHER: YOU’RE GONE!

Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander Zack Greinke is famously blunt, but even catcher A.J. Ellis was taken aback by an exchange he had with the pitcher during a Sunday afternoon game in San Diego in late June.

The Dodgers were struggling at the time, so Ellis enlisted Greinke, a student of the game, to play GM. Neither was playing that day, so Ellis told Greinke during batting practice, “Let’s figure out how to make the team better.”

Greinke replied, “Let me think about it.” Then, while sitting on the bench during the game, he informed Ellis of his solution.

“The first thing I’m doing is trading you and signing Brian McCann,” Greinke said, referring to the Atlanta Braves’ catcher, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

Ellis, who is earning $2 million, said that Greinke also has told him that he is pricing himself out of the Dodgers’ plans, as if such a thing is even possible. When I asked Greinke about that, he denied the charge.

“He’s not pricing himself out,” said Greinke of his teammate, who has two years of arbitration remaining. “He’s not a home-run hitter. Home-run hitters are the ones who price themselves out.”

TRUE COURAGE

Some athletes are best remembered for heroic actions off the field.

Ellis indeed has only 21 career homers in 912 at-bats, but he doesn’t take offense at Greinke’s candid assessments. Indeed, the debate over Ellis’ value has become a running gag between the two.

“He’s probably the most refreshing teammate I’ve ever had,” Ellis said. “I’m enjoying every second with him.”

Archived