Brewer Fanatic

Starting to feel a little optimism for 2014

The stache
I agree with the post 2 posts up, This team can definitely compete, Obviously the Brewers couldn't have all the injuries they had last year, and they need the rotation to step up and for someone to solidify the 7th and 8th in front of Henderson. Those are the 3 key areas even with 1b right now being a Halton/Francisco platoon, as the lineup on paper should still be more than good enough.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice synopsis MNBrew. Like you stated I do think they have room to make a move still, bullpen and first base being the most glaring. Wouldn't mind a guy like Balfour, especially if they try to hide Wang in the bullpen. They could then bring up Blazek/Figaro/Hand if somebody is struggling or hurt. I know this is an optimism thread but I fear the Gorzelanny injury will be worse than thought so another veteran would be nice in the bullpen. Also Braun will be making $10 million next year.

I keep thinking that adding just a "depth" arm doesn't look like a difference maker for the BP. I think they'd be better off making a bigger addition to the bullpen with more certain & significant impact. That's why I think of Balfour.

Heck, even with the improvement of their young guys & proven guys, Baltimore's still got an uphill climb to top Boston, NY, & Tampa Bay. Signing with the Brewers isn't much of a drop in the odds, if any, than Baltimore was. And it was MIL who helped him make it back to the bigs after his injury recovery. (I'd still love to undo that Seth McClung trade even though Balfour's first few MIL outings weren't great. Why? It's because he was pitching SO well in AAA that his success over the past 5 years is hardly surprising.)

Archived