Brewer Fanatic

Starting to feel a little optimism for 2014

The stache
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the only season in the last 22 years where I stopped watching the Brewers was the last season with Macha. Since Ron is light-years better, I'm very happy to have him back. I've made it well known over the years that I loved the Yost-Maddux combo, but Ron isn't far behind.

Every hope I have this season with this team has been crushed.

Hoped to seeing Gamel get regular playing time. Another torn ACL.

Hoped to watch a developmental/small rebuilding year. Signed Lohse.

Hoped to get a good player with our first round pick. Signed Lohse.

Hoped the Yuni signing just being a sick internet joke. It's real.

Hoped the team would ties with Yuni early in the season. He's still here.

Hoped we could get back some good young players in trade at the deadline. One trade.

Hoped Braun was smart enough to get away with using the roids. He wasn't.

Hoped the team would call up a young guy to play 1B instead of Yuni. To little to late.

Hoped to have a high draft pick for next year. They decided to start winning.

Now I hope that management will start looking long term instead of just 2014. Unfortunately I feel they will believe 2013 would have been better if there had not been all the injuries and suspensions. Everybody gets a mulligan.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

....Hoped we could get back some good young players in trade at the deadline. One trade.....

Two trades:

K-Rod to BAL for Nicky Delmonico (top-10 prospect)

Axford to StL for Michael Blazek (wasn't he also a top-10 prospect?)

Not shabby, all things considered.

Other than Michael Gonzalez, who stunk his way out of every trade conversation, most any other "substantial" trade "hopeful" in BF.net-land (thinking primarily of Ramirez, Weeks, Hart) was eventually injured enough to be untradeable.

....Hoped we could get back some good young players in trade at the deadline. One trade.....

Two trades:

Other than Michael Gonzalez, who stunk his way out of every trade conversation, most any other "substantial" trade "hopeful" in BF.net-land (thinking primarily of Ramirez, Weeks, Hart) was eventually injured enough to be untradeable.

It wasn't just the Brewers. This year seemed like the most uneventful trade deadline in the league overall that i can remember, both in the small number of trades made and names involved in the few trades which actually did go down.

I'd assume that we'll see this being more common going forward now that teams can't get a draft pick back for a rental they traded for. That and it seems like more teams have wised up over trading prospects of any serious value for two months of a relief pitcher.

Two trades:

2 trades, whoopty do.

Lohse, Gallardo, Gomez, Aoki and several other bullpen arms. None of which would be 2 month rentals.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

See! We can still have an enjoyable last few months and end up with a protected draft pick :) GO BREWERS!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

We never in a million years should ahve traded Gomez. We would have gottena pile of rocks back from Lhose, Gallardo, or Aoki so what was the point. Yeah maybe if we would have kept the entire salary we could have gotten a top 100 guy; whoopie do. Gallardo was terrible at the AS break anyways

how are they behind the rockies? the rockies won the season series against them

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

forgot about the Jays getting an extra pick this year, but how are they and the rockies ranked higher on the draft list than the brewers with the same record?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

The tie breaker is the team's 2012 record. I guess there probably isn't a huge difference between the #7 pick and the #12. Once you get past the top 5 it all comes down to each team's talent evaluation, I don't think there are really any consensus best players available after the top couple of guys.

Having the #12 pick is both sucky and good at the same. Sucky because I would have loved to get a higher pick to increase the odds of striking gold. It was good because as bad as the Brewers were this year there were still a lot of teams that were worse than us. We were a mediocre team more than anything. Terrible in one month and a .500 team for the remainder while having major pieces miss significant amounts of time.

The tie breaker is the team's 2012 record. I guess there probably isn't a huge difference between the #7 pick and the #12. Once you get past the top 5 it all comes down to each team's talent evaluation, I don't think there are really any consensus best players available after the top couple of guys.

Having the #12 pick is both sucky and good at the same. Sucky because I would have loved to get a higher pick to increase the odds of striking gold. It was good because as bad as the Brewers were this year there were still a lot of teams that were worse than us. We were a mediocre team more than anything. Terrible in one month and a .500 team for the remainder while having major pieces miss significant amounts of time.

I think it's sucky because Mark is probably going to tell Doug to sign another free agent this off season like Lohse that will cause the team to lose another 1st round pick.

I think it's sucky because Mark is probably going to tell Doug to sign another free agent this off season like Lohse that will cause the team to lose another 1st round pick.

well, that FA must have received and declined a qualifying offer over $13 million for next season. I dont think we'll see that many QA this off-season

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

• 1 month later...

My thinking is this will be the quietest off season in Brewer memory. Without boring anyone, I or most readers here, can probably lay out 23 of the 25 man roster for 2014. And the last two spots are neither here nor there (the last bullpen guy and the Yuni-replacement).

Therefore, now that the dust has settled on 2013, with THAT KNOWN 2014 ROSTER, if there are not injuries and the team (on the whole) plays a bit above itself... are we playoff possibilities? I don't mean playoff fluke possibilities. I mean, simply, do we have a roster that is worth having hope in. Loyalty aside, brewer goggles aside... man for man... are we competitive.

Community Moderator

Therefore, now that the dust has settled on 2013, with THAT KNOWN 2014 ROSTER, if there are not injuries and the team (on the whole) plays a bit above itself... are we playoff possibilities? I don't mean playoff fluke possibilities. I mean, simply, do we have a roster that is worth having hope in. Loyalty aside, brewer goggles aside... man for man... are we competitive.

The Brewers could compete, but they need lots of things to go right for it to happen. The three teams ahead of them in the division will compete, unless lots of things go wrong.

So yes, this roster could compete, but only if the stars align.

If hoping for a .500 season is optimism, count me in.

Sadly, there are 3 teams who are better than us, the only chance we have to make the playoffs is a collapse by several teams, and we play over our heads most of the season.

Our pitching just can't compete with the big boys.

:(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Our pitching was 3rd worst in baseball last year and sadly, I don't see how it's going to get any better. Short of a David Price trade or Tanaka signing (completely unrealistic), it will probably get worse. I vote fire sale and play for 2015.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Our pitching was 3rd worst in baseball last year and sadly, I don't see how it's going to get any better. Short of a David Price trade or Tanaka signing (completely unrealistic), it will probably get worse. I vote fire sale and play for 2015.

Actually our bullpen was top 3-4 in NL or MLB can't remember. Our rotation was equal or better than the Cards was in the last 3 month of the season. Our pitching isn't nearly as bad as you think it is.. We just need 1 more Gallardo/Lohse type and we will be just fine considering the offense we have;especially if Hart comes back.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The best thing is that the Brewers could trade some of their Plder assets and get another top 10 draft pick.

That's a potentially confusing statement. Are you suggesting they go young and, theoretically, improve their odds of a very poor season? (I don't think that's an automatic correlation given the other talent on the roster even though that talent's not top-10).

I ask the question because your wording could be taken as a suggestion that they trade players for draft picks, which I still don't think can be done (international signing slots, but not draft picks) -- not that that's what you intended to say, just that it could be taken that way on a quick read.

Archived