Brewer Fanatic

RIP Johnny Logan

DocLuna7
I just heard that Johnny Logan had passed when watching the game tonight. He is definitely a colorful character who loved Milwaukee and baseball. RIP to a man who played a vital role in the first and only world championship in Milwaukee history.

Thankfully, he made it into the walk of fame before he passed.... unlike, the much deserving George Scott.

RIP, Johnny.

I want to make a point to share this, as I forgot and failed to add to it for this season. I feel like we, as a huge fan community, can make this happen for 2014.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=26685

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Aw, damn :( RIP Johnny.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

For some reason I found it fascinating that Johnny was at the VA Hospital practically next door to the ballpark. We are rapidly losing the MLB players who developed a strong bond with Milwaukee as a city.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

When I was about 12 years old, my dad recognized Johnny Logan at a game and asked if we could get an autograph. Johnny not only signed an autograph for me and my two younger brothers, but he took us all into the game and asked us who are favorite Brewers were. He would keep yelling out to Brewers players that were near by and they would come running over and sign for us. At the time I thought it was great that I was getting autographs from Burnitz, Cirillo, ect. not realizing how much cooler it was that Johnny Logan was spending that kind of time with us. I had no idea who he was then, but it's definitely an experience I'll never forget though. I wish I would have been a little older so I could have appreciated it more at the time.

The Braves might still be in Milwaukee if guys like Logan were allowed to end their careers in Milwaukee. Logan was indeed slipping in his last year as starting SS in 1960, but not to the point where they needed to surrender two outstanding young pitchers, Joey Jay and Juan Pizarro to acquire the very overrated and offensively challenged Roy McMillan.

John McHale, who later uttered the infamous lie "The Braves will be in Milwaukee this year, next year and as long as the are wanted", even though he knew an agreement was already in place to move the team, seem determined to trade off every hero the Braves fans loved save Aaron and Mathews: Bruton, Logan, Covington, Crandall, Adcock, Buhl and Burdette were all traded off within a 2-3 year period as attendance plummeted. With the possible exception of Bruton who brought back a decent 2B, Frank Bolling and Burdette who brought handyman Gene Oliver, none of those deals really helped the team either. Not surprisingly, for helping lower the value of the franchise through his inept GM stint, McHale got a piece of the team when it was sold by Lou Perini to the Chicago boys.

Archived