Brewer Fanatic

Brian Anderson's Future?

JohnBriggs12

Fox just landed a long term deal with the USGA starting in 2015. For those who don't follow golf, the USGA sponsors the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women's Open, the U.S. Senior Open, the U.S. Amateur, etc all of which will now be covered on Fox Sports 1, with I assume the big events also on Fox network.

Brian Anderson would seem to be a logical candidate for the lead announcer, ie. the Fox version of Dan Hicks, or Jim Nantz unless they trot out Joe Buck.

With each passing season, BA seems to get higher & higher up the 'prestige ladder' of sports announcers. I've been worried that he'll leave for greener pastures each of the last two or three offseasons, so now that concern will only increase.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brian Anderson doesn't do anything for me. So often he says something just to fill air time and it's usually pretty dumb and I find him to be all around boring. I wouldn't miss him a bit if he were to leave.

They need to dump Bill and replace him with Dan Plesac from MLB Network. Maybe they could poach Matt Vasgersian back while they're at it. They could probably work it as part of Braun's plea deal.

Anderson has grown on me......I could do without him saying "no stolen base... defensive indifference" every night but other then that I like him.

Joe Block on the other hand.......snoozeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm with you on Joe Block. I still don't know how he ever got the job. It's not that he puts me to sleep or lacks any genuine enthusiasm, it's just he's inept. He's got excellent vocal tone, so it's understandable how he chose a career in radio, but he doesn't describe action very well, and there's no tension build up of any kind as a game reaches it's critical points.

Brian Anderson doesn't do anything for me. So often he says something just to fill air time and it's usually pretty dumb and I find him to be all around boring. I wouldn't miss him a bit if he were to leave.

They need to dump Bill and replace him with Dan Plesac from MLB Network. Maybe they could poach Matt Vasgersian back while they're at it. They could probably work it as part of Braun's plea deal.

Agree so much with this. Brian just never shuts up, I don't care that this pitcher is from Texas close to where you're from. Just shut up once in a while.

I would not be surprised to see Sutton back in the mix either, if he didn't burn bridges last time.

I remember hearing insinuations that Bill Schroeder didn't like him. I also recall Sutton saying some rather back handed things about the Brewers as well.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Given the Fox Sports 1 & 2 launches, there will likely be plenty of opportunities inside the Fox family for BA. The beauty of the Brewers gig is he can be the play by play guy for us then still get in plenty of extra work at Fox, like he's done for Turner and BTN. My personal opinion is we're really lucky to have him...real lucky. He's by far one of the better ones out there.

Agree on Joe Block...I was hoping we'd trade him for a prospect before the deadline.

Brewerfan.net's biggest BA fan over here. I think he is the best. Great commentary, great level of quirkiness/humor, great chemistry with BS and makes BS better. Bill used to bug me a bit but I like him a lot now, too. I am going to be really depressed when BA leaves the Milwaukee market. I hope they find a way to keep him, but it seems very unlikely. He seems to be recognized as one of the better play-by-play guys out there today, as TBS picks him to do their playoff games each year.

You should listen to some of the other idiots other teams trot out there. I'm glad BA talks a lot (for one, he's told do things that way by his higher ups), it also means Schroeder doesn't talk as much. Those games that Coshun/Schroeder call are so amazingly painful that I cannot even stand watching.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

You should listen to some of the other idiots other teams trot out there. I'm glad BA talks a lot (for one, he's told do things that way by his higher ups), it also means Schroeder doesn't talk as much. Those games that Coshun/Schroeder call are so amazingly painful that I cannot even stand watching.

I actually do listen to other teams when they have games on MLB Network. Some guys are terrible, some are so-so. I love the Nationals guys FP Santangelo and whoever the other guys is. I just don't get the love for Brian. He's dry and boring. He says stupid things to fill air and when he talks about advanced stats like OPS (gasp!) he always sounds tongue in cheek about it.

I actually do listen to other teams when they have games on MLB Network. Some guys are terrible, some are so-so. I love the Nationals guys FP Santangelo and whoever the other guys is. I just don't get the love for Brian. He's dry and boring. He says stupid things to fill air and when he talks about advanced stats like OPS (gasp!) he always sounds tongue in cheek about it.

Keep in mind the audience when they talk about stats. If it's outside the triple crown stats it outside of most casual fans' knowledge. I believe most casual fans to be luddites.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I hate Sunday games because very often it's Craig filling-in, and he is just not an acceptable replacement.

I can tolerate him in small doses, but there's no way I would want him to be the everyday guy in the event BA departs for other pastures. It's not like he's horrible, but the Brewers should be able to do way better at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

TV broadcasters doing the play by play often only stay around for 5 years. An ex player like Schoeder or a (HOF'er like Jim Palmer) will stick around for a while as the color guy. So Anderson had been around plenty long to warrant packing up for somewhere else with a more lucrative offer. Most likely he will just take every gig he can get and coordinate.

I saw the Brewers get a ranking of 21 of 30 MLB team broadcasts from 2012. The comment was as follows (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1146624-mlb-tv-power-rankings-ranking-every-mlb-teams-announcers-heading-into-2012/page/11)

Anderson does a good job with the play-by-play but does have a tendency of being distracted at times when discussing off-baseball topics with Schroeder. He uses a lot of historical references to add to the broadcast.

Schroeder provides good analysis but tends to take a back seat to Anderson. The Coshun/Schroeder pairing does an adequate job as well. The complete body of work of this broadcasting crew is slightly below average. It definitely leaves hungry Brewer baseball fans wanting more taste and less fill.

I would not be surprised to see Sutton back in the mix either, if he didn't burn bridges last time.

He may still be under a no compete clause from Arizona. Still not sure what exactly happened with him,there are a few different stories. Listening to him and Marc Grace was painfully awful,however Grace by himself wasnt bad. Perhaps he is looking for some post Tent City work

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Doug Russell should have gotten the 620 gig over Joe Block!!!!!

I like Doug Russell a lot, and he probably should have a bigger role on the radio right now. I remember seeing him out at Woodmans last year after having to leave WSSP and doing Yahoo sports. I would favor seeing him take over play by play on TV instead of Coshun. He always does a good job in the spots he does on TMJ right now. Unfortunately, I can see the Brewers feeling like they owe Coshun a spot for sticking with them so long.

Joe Block has grown on me. He's not as dry as he was last season, and he tends to bring a lot up more stories and topics than he did before.

It's kind of a package deal. The second radio broadcaster is an employee of WTMJ. Uecker, Anderson, Schroeder, and Nelson are Brewers employees. The rest are employed by Fox.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Agree so much with this. Brian just never shuts up, I don't care that this pitcher is from Texas close to where you're from. Just shut up once in a while.

Yes, if there is anything you want during a BASEBALL broadcast, it's more dead airtime. Especially in a potential 100 loss season.

I like BA. I remember when he became partners with Rock, everyone questioned the move because he had a background in Golf(for whatever reason ignoring his extensive baseball background as well initially) but to the extent I care about the TV guys, I really like him.

Of course there are some people who I think are difficult to please. Baseball's a repetitive sport so of course he's going to repeat himself quite a bit. You get a guy like Tulo and K-Rod(who by the way was the slowest pitcher in baseball last year or the year before taking over 30+ seconds between pitch) and Tulo who takes FOREVER, and the guy has to say something.

I mean....they're paid to talk. It's kinda high up on the job description.

I know Rock's drawn the ire of fans on here for his constant comments about going the other way..etc...etc...

But, like I said, I like them. And what's worse(according to you guys) I like Jr. I think he does a good job in the post-season and I just think Buck does a good job.

There is one thing I don't think anyone can argue, BA has gotten a LOT better since he got here. He called the games like someone was teeing up. But he's gotten a lot more enthusiastic. And the duo we have seems to be pretty popular as compared to other teams.

All that said, my favorite is also the worst. Uecker is just terrible. I was riding home the other day, he's telling some story about some conversation he had before the game as a Cardinal. He sprinkled in a few, "and Segura into second standing." End of the inning we put up 3 runs. Had I not had gamecase on my note2 I never would have known they were putting together a rally. But...he's Mr. Baseball. What can you do?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If Coshun takes over for BA I'll be extremely upset. Listening to him and Rock every single game would become intolerable.

This. God help us if we had to listen to Coshun call every game. Hopefully Anderson does not leave and if he does they look elsewhere and just keep Coshun around for pre/post game shows and fill in play by play guy.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived