Brewer Fanatic

Waivers Question (no trade clause)

Can a player with a no trade clause block a waiver claim? For example:

Kyle Lohse has a full no trade clause (pretty sure he doesn't but just using him as an example) and he is placed on revokable waivers and claimed. Doug just wants to get rid of his contract and allows the team to just take him. Could Lohse invoke his no trade clause to block the claim? Technically it's not a trade.

The point isn't moot because it's a question about how MLB waivers work. It would still be pertinent if a team claims a guy like Michael Young.

I found these:

http://www.purplerow.com/2009/2/19/762532/mlb-transactions-part-thre

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=667:waivers&catid=44:business-of-baseball-glossary&Itemid=75

The relevant part (under Revocable Major League Waivers):

Like outright waivers, a player with a no-trade clause who is claimed must be pulled back if the player’s no-trade clause allows him to block a deal to the claiming club. However, the player may waive the no-trade clause and join the claiming club.

It's a moot point. Lohse has pitched to his contract so Melvin's not going to just let him go. If next July, if he's there with a sub 3.50 ERA and the Brewers are out of it, I imagine there will be plenty of interest in him.

Apparently you missed the part where I said "For example:", as in, maybe this fictional situation will help you answer my question.

Thanks mothership. That answers my question.

The Brewers placed Lohse on waivers yesterday, tweets Danny Knobler of CBS Sports. The claiming period for him ends tomorrow. The 34-year-old Lohse is enjoying another fine campaign in his first season with Milwaukee. He's pitched to a 3.23 ERA with 5.8 K/9, 1.5 BB/9 and a 39.2 percent ground-ball rate in 139 1/3 innings on the season. Lohse is owed $11MM in each of the next two seasons and is earning $11MM this season as well. However, $7MM of that total is deferred to 2016-18, so he's technically only owed $1.136MM of this year's $4MM guarantee. Lohse's cost isn't exorbitant, but an additional $22MM for his age-35 and age-36 seasons may give some teams pause.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

im really curious who claimed Loshe

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived