Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 8/5 -- Sounds, Rattlers Walkoff Wins

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Jimmy Nelson at home vs. Tucson (Padres), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Ariel Pena at home vs. Mississippi (Braves), 6:28 PM pre-game, 6:43 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Alex Cohen is the play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast. It appears four Southern League teams air their home games on MiLB.TV, and we'll let you know when those dates pop up on the schedule.

Brevard County: RHP Damien Magnifico at Charlotte (Rays), 5:30 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the opponent coverage with the Jupiter link

Wisconsin: RHP Tyler Wagner at home vs. Beloit (Athletics), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of four Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV.

So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, Stars' road games from four Southern League locales, and all Timber Rattlers home games and some road games.

NOTE: Many of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel and WACY-TV My NEW32 will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and will try to provide day-before DVR reminders, so regularly check with us.

Helena: RHP Danny Keller at Great Falls (White Sox), 7:40 PM pre-game, 8:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Voice of the Helena Brewers Steve Wendt is back on board, and this year he's added Twitter to the mix @steve_wendt. We've been treated to Steve's work for many years now (ten!); he is among the very best at the art of the pre-game interview, especially considering how at ease he makes all these first-time professional ballplayers.

MiLB.TV -- When the H-Crew makes their way to Grand Junction (August), those games will be available for viewing online.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the baby Royals (minus Prince George), 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Braves, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until later in the day

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for Nashville and Wisconsin media notes at the links just prior to their game times.

New this season: Brevard County has media notes; as of now, it's a unique link each day, but look for it just prior to game time each day within the "Stats and Scores" banner here.

Also new this season: Helena has media notes; it's a unique link each day, but look for it just prior to game time each day within the "Stats and Scores" banner here.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League North Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Rookie Advanced - Pioneer League North Division

Rookie - Arizona Summer League

DSL - Dominican Summer League San Pedro de Macoris Division

NOTE: To view first half or overall standings for Huntsville, Brevard County, Wisconsin, and Maryvale, you'll notice options at the respective links for that. Otherwise it's second-half standings as the default view for those three leagues.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville's Jason Rogers was Joe Block's guest on the Brewers pre-game Sunday.

It's a darn shame that MLB put the kibosh on WTMJ archiving each pre-game interview on their site, but if you're an MLB audio or video subscriber, you know how to find it. Go to the 19:00 minute mark.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin OF Michael Reed is the Brewers' representative on the NL sleepers list over at minorleagueball.com:

"Reed has proven himself this year in his first year of full season ball. He got a taste of AA and high A at the end of last year but he saw limited action. He started this year in Wisconsin hitting .323 in April and hasn’t let up yet. He’s got plenty of extra base hits even though only one has left the park, due to his plus speed and good instincts on the basepaths.

In the field he has a strong arm but does not show the speed and athleticism to handle center.

He’s shown great plate discipline walking in over 12 % of his AB’s, but he’s also striking out a little over 2% more than league average at 21.7%. He’s also hitting line drives almost 20% of the time, 5% more than the average Midwest League hitter.

Reed has the tools to become a solid table setter in the lineup but doesn’t profile well with his lack of power and speed limiting him to the corners. If the power does develop though, Reed will be a force at the dish and will become Milwaukee’s future RF. I’d like to see Reed finish out the year in Wisconsin and make the jump to Brevard County to start 2014."

TheCrew, I'm curious as to what your take is on Roach. Are we looking at a Nelson Cruz type talent or is he a guy whose swing will really get exposed at the higher levels? Seems like a dead red guy at the plate who struggles with off-speed offerings.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As we'll document in the transaction thread in a moment, it'll be Damien Magnifico back on the hill for Brevard tonight, it'll be good to give a recently-struggling Brent Suter another day off.

From the 'Tees:

RHP Damien Magnifico has been activated from the disabled list. He will start tonight for the Manatees in their series finale against the Charlotte Stone Crabs in Port Charlotte.Brevard County's roster is now at 25 active players, which is the Florida State League limit.

Back on the 29th when he was placed on the DL a second time with the blister issue, Magnifico was a bit beyond frustrated. Look for him to be pumped tonight.

*Of course, Damien, a very entertaining Twitter presence, also indicates on his byline -- "*WARNING* Full of sarcasm, dont read too much into tweets"

TheCrew, I'm curious as to what your take is on Roach. Are we looking at a Nelson Cruz type talent or is he a guy whose swing will really get exposed at the higher levels? Seems like a dead red guy at the plate who struggles with off-speed offerings.

I realize I'm not TheCrew, but honestly each time I see Roache in person, the more his swing reminds me of Rickie Weeks's. The HRs I've seen Roache hit are of the laser-beam line drive variety, a la Rickie's trademark shots. Roache also appears to be a bit of a whiffer, at least so far, and like you noted, TU, breaking balls/offspeed stuff still seems to be fairly problematic for him.

Now, with all that said, it's basically his 'get back in the groove' year of playing baseball. I expect he'll be headed to Brevard County for next season, and it'll be interesting to see if he's able to improve his breaking/offspeed approach against more advanced arms.

Defensively, let's just say... he's a big-time power hitter. He looks like a good athlete, but just not very natural in LF. I've seen him make some really nice plays, and some very Kevin Mench-ian-caliber plays.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Other than his power the thing that jumps out most about Roache has been his horrific defense. Some guys have MLB quality gloves in A ball, some guys you can comfortably project to be average, and then there are guys like Victor who I'm not comfortable projecting to even be average after what I've watched this season. Hopefully he gets much better as he moves up.

He's been fantastic at the plate since the all-star break, but I don't think he'll ever hit for high average in MLB. If he can continually adjust as he progresses up through the system I think he's in that .250-.270 range as a hitter and he's an easy 20 HR run guy. His patience is about what you'd hope for, he could be a .330/.500 OBP/OPS guy or he could be nothing, he strikes me as a guy who's not going to have much middle ground. Either he's an everyday LF (for a NL club) or he's not going to have a career.

I'm pleased with the progress he's made at the plate, he's squaring up balls much better, which should be obvious considering he's homered every 4th game since the break. I do have my concerns about how well he'll fair hit tool wise as he faces more advanced stuff and pitchers whom are able to better execute a specific strategy against hitters. He's covered up the most obvious hole he had in his swing and some first half issues with breaking balls, he's made good progress this season.

He's not a great runner and his arm appears to be averagish so most his value is going to come from his bat. However, he's got a great attitude, I haven't read or listened to a single interview where his work ethic wasn't praised, so there's a possibly with some refinement to his hitting mechanics and pitch recognition he could very special with the bat. Again, I'm not into projecting best case scenarios for anyone, but he does have power, and if he can consistently make better contact, he could make an impact in the middle of the order.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Jeff Hem's blog --

Audio from Nashville — “Mondays with Mike”

Here is this week’s installment of “Mondays with Mike” with Sounds manager Mike Guerrero, who discusses the team’s recent hot streak, what Kentrail Davis and Eugenio Velez have done at the top of the lineup, the consistency the lineup has had over the past several games and the hitting and defensive improvement he has seen in Hunter Morris.

Some guys have MLB quality gloves in A ball

I would argue some guys have better than MLB quality gloves. :)

Great analysis Crew07! I am cautiously looking forward to seeing Roache advance and face more seasoned pitching. I worry that the collapsing back elbow and looping upper cut in his swing will significantly hinder him versus better pitchers, but it sounds like that may have improved and obviously the power is there when he makes contact. If he can develop into a .250-.270ish hitter and maintain the power at the MLB level he would certainly have a ton of value, even at a corner outfield spot.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Final: DSL Brewers 1, DSL Braves 2 (Game called in top of 8th because of rain)

DSL Brewers Box Score

The Brewers got victimized by Mother Nature as they had the tying run on second base in the eighth inning when the rain hit. Joshua Torres was charged with the loss after pitching seven innings. He allowed two runs on six hits, walked one and struck out three. Shortstop Gregory Munoz was the leading hitter for the Brewers as he went 2-for-3 with a walk. Designated hitter Jorge Quiterio went 2-for-4 and stole a base. Juan De Los Santos doubled in two at bats. Juan Ortiz doubled and scored the team's only run. Leudi Otaño and Yeraldy Martinez each had a single and Martinez also stole a base.

DSL Brewers Play-By-Play

The Brewers eighth inning rally cut short

DSL BREWERS inning 8

- Vasquez, C. to 3b for Azuaje, F.. Silva, A. to p for Torres, Y..

- Ortiz, J. doubled.

- Quiterio, J. reached on an error by ss, advanced to second on the throw; Ortiz, J. scored, unearned.

- De LosStos,J fouled out to c.

- Santana, Y. flied out to rf.

Game Finish For Rain 7.2th. Inning

Archived