Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
Can Hellweg get moved to the 60-day DL? That would clear up a spot..

No, he can't. Can;t find a source for that info right now but Hellweg to the 60-day DL has been brought up either here or over at BCB.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, he can't. Can;t find a source for that info right now but Hellweg to the 60-day DL has been brought up either here or over at BCB.

Crew07's Reply 183 in this thread seemed to be pretty certain it wouldn't be a big deal to put Hellweg on the 60 day DL.

jim henderson is eying a return on 1 july; the brewers are thinking later than that. either way, a move to the 60-day disabled list would allow him to be activated as soon as 2 july, and would clear a 40-man roster spot until his return.

It's been discussed here as well, and stated that he could be moved to the 60 day DL. I don't know one way or the other, it just SEEMS like common sense that he would be able to. So do you remember for those saying he couldn't what the rationale would be?

Seems foolish to have to leave a guy on the 40 man roster who's out for a full year on the 15 day DL rather than the 60 day DL. But perhaps there is a reason for it. Again, it just seems on it's face without knowing the details counter intuitive.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Seems foolish to have to leave a guy on the 40 man roster who's out for a full year on the 15 day DL rather than the 60 day DL. But perhaps there is a reason for it. Again, it just seems on it's [sic] face without knowing the details counter intuitive.

it's presumed that you're referring to hellweg. it should be noted that hellweg is a player on the 40-man roster optioned to the minor leagues. he is not currently earning major league service time, and is earning less than he would on the major league roster via the split portion of his contract. he was injured while optioned. he is currently on the minor league 7-day disabled list--not on the major league 15-day disabled list.

because he remains on the minor league 7-day disabled list, and because he's missed more than seven days with his injury, the brewers could recall hellweg, pay him the amount that his contract calls for when earning major league service time, and immediately place him on the 60-day disabled list. hellweg would be earning major league service time along with his major league pay while on the 60-day disabled list, and would have to be added back to the 40-man roster at the conclusion of the season.

thus, the brewers pay hellweg more, and his service time clock starts ticking again. whether these are huge concerns or not, only brewers management knows.

Seems foolish to have to leave a guy on the 40 man roster who's out for a full year on the 15 day DL rather than the 60 day DL. But perhaps there is a reason for it. Again, it just seems on it's [sic] face without knowing the details counter intuitive.

it's presumed that you're referring to hellweg. it should be noted that hellweg is a player on the 40-man roster optioned to the minor leagues. he is not currently earning major league service time, and is earning less than he would on the major league roster via the split portion of his contract. he was injured while optioned. he is currently on the minor league 7-day disabled list--not on the major league 15-day disabled list.

because he remains on the minor league 7-day disabled list, and because he's missed more than seven days with his injury, the brewers could recall hellweg, pay him the amount that his contract calls for when earning major league service time, and immediately place him on the 60-day disabled list. hellweg would be earning major league service time along with his major league pay while on the 60-day disabled list, and would have to be added back to the 40-man roster at the conclusion of the season.

thus, the brewers pay hellweg more, and his service time clock starts ticking again. whether these are huge concerns or not, only brewers management knows.

Yes, as he was the player being discussed in the quote in my post.

As far as him not being able to be put on the 60 day DL because he's on the 7 day DL, and the Brewers would have to pay him for major league service time and recall him in order to do so....I'll take your word for it. It just doesn't seem logical to me. So assuming Tallion was on the Pirates 40 man roster, but in the minors when he needed TJ surgery, he'd be taking up a spot on their 40 man roster as well, correct? The same for Nelson?

look at it this way: imagine that ariel pena, michael blazek, jimmy nelson and hiram burgos (all currently optioned to the minor leagues) all suffered season-ending injuries while in the minor leagues (joining hellweg). that'd be five pitchers with experience starting lost for the season.

and let's imagine that the brewers have to place wily peralta on the 15-day disabled list and need to recall another starter to make two to four starts while he's out. the 40-man roster is full, and it includes five pitchers out for the season. who can they turn to? (and don't answer with alfredo figaro.)

look at it this way: imagine that ariel pena, michael blazek, jimmy nelson and hiram burgos (all currently optioned to the minor leagues) all suffered season-ending injuries while in the minor leagues (joining hellweg). that'd be five pitchers with experience starting lost for the season.

and let's imagine that the brewers have to place wily peralta on the 15-day disabled list and need to recall another starter to make two to four starts while he's out. the 40-man roster is full, and it includes five pitchers out for the season. who can they turn to? (and don't answer with alfredo figaro.)

Well...my answer would be Brad Mills and I would have thought before you told me otherwise that those pitchers could be placed on the 60 day DL and Mills could then be easily added to the roster.

if minor leaguers taylor green and brad mills aren't added to the brewers' 40-man roster by sunday 15 june, they can opt out of their contracts and declare free agency.

still waiting for updates on both players' statuses with the organization.

I assume the option to leave is open-ended?... If no team comes calling now, they just keep playing status quo. If someone calls next week then they may be gone then. Right?

if minor leaguers taylor green and brad mills aren't added to the brewers' 40-man roster by sunday 15 june, they can opt out of their contracts and declare free agency.

still waiting for updates on both players' statuses with the organization.

I assume the option to leave is open-ended?... If no team comes calling now, they just keep playing status quo. If someone calls next week then they may be gone then. Right?

i'm not certain how teams can negotiate with green's and mills' agent(s) at the moment. you're correct that they're both under contract at the moment, but either player could opt out of the organization at any time now and become a free agent. teams can't negotiate with other organizations' players until they hit free agency, so i would imagine that unless they opt to test free agency, the only other way either will get to play for another organization is for another to team to trade for him.

i'm not certain how teams can negotiate with green's and mills' agent(s) at the moment. you're correct that they're both under contract at the moment, but either player could opt out of the organization at any time now and become a free agent. teams can't negotiate with other organizations' players until they hit free agency, so i would imagine that unless they opt to test free agency, the only other way either will get to play for another organization is for another to team to trade for him.

According to Todd Rosiak it is not open-ended and Mills can't just leave for a better offer. He must be placed on the 25-man roster of another team and that has not happened.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/263314841.html

According to Todd Rosiak it is not open-ended and Mills can't just leave for a better offer. He must be placed on the 25-man roster of another team and that has not happened.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/263314841.html

it's not stated whether or not the brewers would receive any compensation if another team placed him on their 25-man roster.

I think they need to end the Wang experiment, move Estrada to long relief and bring up Jimmy Nelson

Yes they need to stop handicapping themselves by playing with a 24 man roster. Apparently they see something in Wang I don't. All I see is a 22 year old with a live arm that doesn't have a clue yet how to get major league hitters out. That description fits a lot of guys in A ball I would think. If he were "special" we would have seen some hint of it. Handicapping a major league roster of a contending team so to keep one extra A ball level arm makes no sense to me, but heck what do I know, I've only been following the game for 55 or so years.

As for their roster, all the backups to Segura have proved wanting. The one guy they haven't tried is Hector Gomez. Yeah he's not patient, but he does have some pop in his bat, and in his last 22 games he's hitting .293/.326/.463. I'd drop the 31 yo Falu in favor of the 26 yo Gomez on the 40 man.

I can't figure out why Fiers is on the roster. He goes from starting (and starting well in AAA) to sitting in our bullpen doing basically nothing - he's only pitched 2 innings since he got up here. What's the point?

If he's not going to be in the rotation or at least get regular work, why bother? Why not keep him stretched out in AAA in case we actually need a starter (I know Nelson is there too). There's just no need for Fiers in MLB right now doing nothing. That roster spot could be better served by virtually anyone on offense. The bench is paper thin right now. One C, one 1b, one 2b and one guy covering basically every other position.

The current roster makeup just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Especially since not only our we handicapping our offense. but we're wasting Fiers by having him do nothing (not to mention losing that built up stamina since he's just not pitching).

I do think throwing every day or two as opposed to every five days was cause for Thornburgs injury. Now with Fiers it looks like they're trying to avoid that, and having him throw every five days, even though it's only been for an inning at a time. It's like they set the day Fiers is going in in advance, but then leave it up to the game as to when he'll come in. The 25 man, and rotation and bull-pen should see some changes soon. STL is 3.5 games back and seems like they're getting hotter. The time to take action is now or very very soon.

How many injured guys are on the 40 man?

of players optioned and not on the major league disabled list:

johnny hellweg

brooks hall

hiram burgos

add michael blazek to that list.

mike fiers optioned. he has to spend at least ten days in the minor leagues unless being recalled to replace an injured pitcher. alfredo figaro recalled, but with discussion on cutting a reliever and recalling a position player in the coming days, figaro is likely candidate to be optioned back and would have to be down for ten days as well (unless replacing an injured pitcher).

thus, the brewers' available pitching depth on the 40-man is looking really thin right now. the days off and the all star break can't come soon enough.

How many injured guys are on the 40 man?

of players optioned and not on the major league disabled list:

johnny hellweg

brooks hall

hiram burgos

add michael blazek to that list.

Does anybody know if these guys can be removed from the 40 man when hurt in the minor leagues or are they protected somehow because they are on the minor league DL?

No big deal, DNA Falu, option Figaro, and purchase Jeffress. Falu isn't going anywhere, and even if he does, we still have the same guy in Bianchi. Disaster averted today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived