Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
Honestly don't think it is worth the money to keep Hellweg, just release him.

Umm... what? Why would they release a young, talented arm that they have control over and is cheap?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hellweg is Jeff Juden 2.0. I dont think he is a major league player.

What is this team going to do with their 25 man roster? Half the bench is unavailable on a daily basis and the bullpen is fried despite great starting pitching.

The bullpen is absolutely nowhere near fried.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Honestly don't think it is worth the money to keep Hellweg, just release him.

Umm... what? Why would they release a young, talented arm that they have control over and is cheap?

Who knows. Some vehemently want Wang gone already.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Well if they haven't made a move yet they aren't going to make one before the game. I am guessing at least one of Segura, Braun, and Ramirez is at least available to pinch hit. Weeks and Maldonado are the bench. I am sure Gallardo would be the first pitcher called upon to hit if need be. Hell he might be the best pinch hitting option available period.

So who is getting added to the 40 man roster after Hellweg hits the 60 day DL??

i'm thinking gorzelanny hits the 60-day dl ahead of hellweg. gorzelanny is already earning major league pay and service time, so it doesn't make sense to do so with hellweg unless absolutely necessary.

i think that the brewers would purchase the contract of a position player instead of another pitcher, and it'd be a player they would be ok outrighting back to the minor leagues if they needed room for gorzelanny when he's activated. taylor green and eugenio velez would be candidates to have their contract purchased--if only for each player's versatility. it should be noted that green can declare free agency if he's not on the 40-man by 15 june.

i'm thinking gorzelanny hits the 60-day dl ahead of hellweg. gorzelanny is already earning major league pay and service time, so it doesn't make sense to do so with hellweg unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure what you meant here, being on the 40 man roster affects Hellweg's AAA pay, but he's not making MLB minimum nor earning MLB service time being on the 40 man.

You only earn MLB service time if you were injured while on the active MLB roster. The confusion might stem from the spring training scenario where if players are on the expanded spring training roster and get hurt they cannot be optioned to down to the minors until their rehab is completed, nor can players be optioned before spring training starts.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 2 weeks later...

if aramis ramirez hits the disabled list, the brewers may have to make a move that affects the 40-man roster. the only player with experience at third currently on the 40-man optioned to the minors is elian herrera, who has started 14 games at third in his mlb career. hunter morris could be recalled, moving mark reynolds to third, but then you're stuck with another player who can only play one position (and redundancy with morris and lyle overbay both batting left).

taylor green is not on the 40-man, has major league experience, and can play third and first (plus second, not that the brewers need that). it should also be noted that green can elect free agency if not on the 40-man by 15 june.

gorzelanny still remains a candidate to be transferred to the 60-day disabled list, but he'd be activated pretty soon after the backdated 60 days are up as he is close to being ready, forcing his return to the 40-man roster. barring the release of another player such as rickie weeks, if the brewers don't recall herrera, they seem on the path to recalling hellweg and placing him on the 60-day disabled list to make room for another player.

Herrera didn't show much during his first stint here, but I agree its probably him only because of his versatility. I wish it was Morris, but a platoon of him and Overbay doesn't make sense.

The benefit of having Reynolds on the team is that you don't have to bring up a 3rd baseman. Herrera can spell Reynolds at 1st then.

• 3 weeks later...

jeff bianchi was outrighted to the minor leagues last week. irving falu had his contract purchased, making the 40-man full again.

falu can be optioned to the minor leagues this year, but given it's his sole remaining option, one would think that the brewers would consider optioning elian herrera instead as he's already been optioned in his final option year. if falu remains on the 2014 brewers roster (or major league disabled list), he would enter 2015 spring training with an option remaining and would compete with hererra (no options in 2015) for a utility role. this, of course, is assuming both players are on the 40-man roster come 2015 spring training.

I get that they're on a pretty even plane, but I wouldn't let Falu's option year deter me from sending him down if it's the right move. If we really lose him for that we can pick another guy out of the under-replacement-level recycling bin.

I get that they're on a pretty even plane, but I wouldn't let Falu's option year deter me from sending him down if it's the right move. If we really lose him for that we can pick another guy out of the under-replacement-level recycling bin.

Completely agree -- he's 30 & has a career MiLB OPS of .699. If any roster decisions are made based on his option-year status, I think Brewers fans should be expected to be upset.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

falu can be optioned to the minor leagues this year, but given it's his sole remaining option, one would think that the brewers would consider optioning elian herrera instead as he's already been optioned in his final option year. if falu remains on the 2014 brewers roster (or major league disabled list), he would enter 2015 spring training with an option remaining and would compete with hererra (no options in 2015) for a utility role. this, of course, is assuming both players are on the 40-man roster come 2015 spring training.

irving falu remains with his minor league option intact. elian herrera optioned to nashville for the pending return of aramis ramirez from the disabled list.

irving falu remains with his minor league option intact. elian herrera optioned to nashville for the pending return of aramis ramirez from the disabled list.

I just think they like Falu's defense at SS more than Herrera's in case it's needed. I doubt they are looking beyond this year for either player. Falu could still end up using that option to make room for a 13th pitcher.

I just think they like Falu's defense at SS more than Herrera's in case it's needed. I doubt they are looking beyond this year for either player. Falu could still end up using that option to make room for a 13th pitcher.

Very likely. With the position players getting healthy, the last spot between Herrera and Falu is the second option off the bench at every position except SS, where it's the first and only backup.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
if minor leaguers taylor green and brad mills aren't added to the brewers' 40-man roster by sunday 15 june, they can opt out of their contracts and declare free agency.

While Mills has pitched well, I just don't see a spot for him this year. However, he could be a candidate next season for the bullpen (Zack Duke's success this year may easily price him out of Milwaukee in 2015). Maybe the Brewers can give him a financial incentive to waive his out clause, knowing he'll be up in September and be invited to camp next spring. But you would think that a team or two would take a flyer on the guy right now. It would be hard to turn that down. A minor trade might be in order - send Mills to a team that will add him to the big league roster in exchange for beads and trinkets.

As for Green, I think he leaves. It's probably time to move on and get a fresh start somewhere. This team doesn't seem to think he's an option (not that he's slugging his way into the lineup). May as well move on.

if minor leaguers taylor green and brad mills aren't added to the brewers' 40-man roster by sunday 15 june, they can opt out of their contracts and declare free agency.

What is the downsides to putting Henderson on the 60 day DL and putting Mills on the 40 man roster? That would allow us to keep Mills, right? Other than paying Mills a little bit more to be put on the 40 man roster, where is the downside? If everyone stays healthy and productive on the 40 man, then we DFA Mills when Henderson is ready to come back in early-mid July. Or do we have to put Mills on the 25 man roster to keep him?

Maybe the Brewers can give (Mills) a financial incentive to waive his out clause, knowing he'll be up in September and be invited to camp next spring.

in order for a player to be up in september, he has to be on the 40-man roster. mills is not. thus, his presence on the team in september is far from a certain outcome.

it is unclear if mills' opt-out clause requires him to be on the 25-man or 40-man by 15 june. he's on neither, so the 40-man would be the first step. green's clause just calls for him to be on the 40-man by 15 june.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe the Brewers can give (Mills) a financial incentive to waive his out clause, knowing he'll be up in September and be invited to camp next spring.

in order for a player to be up in september, he has to be on the 40-man roster. mills is not. thus, his presence on the team in september is far from a certain outcome.

it is unclear if mills' opt-out clause requires him to be on the 25-man or 40-man by 15 june. he's on neither, so the 40-man would be the first step. green's clause just calls for him to be on the 40-man by 15 june.

Thanks for the info.

Can Hellweg get moved to the 60-day DL? That would clear up a spot.

Also, I wouldn't cry if Herrera was off the 40-man roster. His ability to play a lot of positions (not very well) is about the only thing he brings to the table.

I'd try removing Brooks Hall and Kevin Shackleford from the 40-man. I highly doubt any other team is going to try to snag either one of them and put them on their 40-man, and I really don't see either making anything close to a contribution at the major league level this year. Shack pitched his way to a demotion from AA to Brevard County this year... Do that and you have wiggle room for Mills, who albeit isn't great, but having a decent year. andddddddd Tyler Cravy. Kids putting up the best numbers by any brewers pitcher in AA Huntsville, and is shutting down a hitter-friendly league in a hitter-friendly park. He's ready to make a contribution at the ML level when he's called upon.

Archived