Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
Maldanado suspension = end of Weeks?? Diaz seems like the likely guy, but what about Shawn Zarraga? I would assume Diaz has no options left, so they'd have to expose him to waivers to send him back down. You never know if some team might in need of a backup might grab him. Zarraga could be around a couple days, and be optioned back sort of a reward for a torrid start.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Maldonado is suspended more than one game (and the Brewers probably don't want to risk Lucroy getting hurt if the suspension is even one game), then they'll need to free up a 40-man roster spot to bring up a catcher (Robinzon Diaz or Matt Pagnozzi).

Rather than having to expose a player to waivers, wonder if they could place Tom Gorzelanny on the 60-man DL at this point. Gorzelanny would miss all of May, but you figure his rehab assignment (whenever that might begin) could be stretched to 20 days, although that wouldn't be his first choice, surely.

Assuming it is too soon to jettison Overbay or Weeks and don't 60 day DL Gorzy -

What would be the complications if they took Figaro off the 40 man roster? Would some MLB club go after the 30 year old for their 25 man or could he opt to go to some other teams minor leage system thinking he would have a better shot?

If Maldonado is suspended more than one game (and the Brewers probably don't want to risk Lucroy getting hurt if the suspension is even one game), then they'll need to free up a 40-man roster spot to bring up a catcher (Robinzon Diaz or Matt Pagnozzi).

Rather than having to expose a player to waivers, wonder if they could place Tom Gorzelanny on the 60-man DL at this point. Gorzelanny would miss all of May, but you figure his rehab assignment (whenever that might begin) could be stretched to 20 days, although that wouldn't be his first choice, surely.

Assuming it is too soon to jettison Overbay or Weeks and don't 60 day DL Gorzy -

What would be the complications if they took Figaro off the 40 man roster? Would some MLB club go after the 30 year old for their 25 man or could he opt to go to some other teams minor leage system thinking he would have a better shot?

Lots of team are having bullpen issues so there's a chance he'd be claimed. Not that it's a loss they couldn't endure but if they were thinking about jettisoning Weeks (and after watching his feeble AB's lately why wouldn't they?), this may just speed up the process 2-3 weeks. I think Overbay's safe for now. His AB's have been of considerable higher quality than Rickie's.

It's only going to be 2 or 3 games at most. Meaning Martin would probably not even play during the time he was suspended. Just stick with Bianchi as the emergency catcher.

I dunno, Maldy threw and appeared to land a pretty good haymaker. He might get 5 games for that. Besides if Gomez gets say 3 games, they are also short on OF especially with Schafer on DL and Bianchi's an emergency OF as well. That's not to mention a pen that's very stretched that could use an extra arm. I'd be shocked if there were no roster moves.

It's only going to be 2 or 3 games at most. Meaning Martin would probably not even play during the time he was suspended. Just stick with Bianchi as the emergency catcher.

I dunno, Maldy threw and appeared to land a pretty good haymaker. He might get 5 games for that. Besides if Gomez gets say 3 games, they are also short on OF especially with Schafer on DL and Bianchi's an emergency OF as well. That's not to mention a pen that's very stretched that could use an extra arm. I'd be shocked if there were no roster moves.

I'm assuming Gomez will appeal any suspension, if only to serve those games when Schafer is available to fill in for him.

any team claiming figaro would not have to keep him on their 25-man roster to acquire him; they'd just have to keep him on their 40-man and optioned to the minor leagues.

good catching depth is always hard to come by, but i'm usually frustrated when a team has infield, outfield and pitching depth on the 40-man, but no catching depth.

the brewers rarely carry more than two catchers on the 40-man.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Jon Morosi tweet --

Remember this on Brewers/Pirates brawl: If suspensions are issued, teams must play short those roster spots while served.

So if Maldonado gets, let's say, three games and the Brewers need another catcher, they would have to jettison another player off the 25-man to make room.

This is where Weeks' total positional inflexibility really hancuffs the Crew again.

I don't think that Overbay is going anywhere, and neither is Weeks. They will continue to play with what they have, especially since they are winning games with the current roster they have.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Both players are going to appeal any suspension, especially Gomez for sure. I don't know how long that appeals process takes, but if Schafer is only on the DL for the minimum 15 days, the appeals process might stretch long enough for him to be back. Then you'd have Herrera as the backup and you're ok there. Bianchi could also go to the OF if absolutely necessary for one game.

As far as catcher goes...it really depends on how long it is. If it's 1-2 games, I think the Brewers just go with one and hope for the best. I believe Herrera and Bianchi would be the emergency catchers. Anything longer than that and they'll have to make a move. I haven't heard anything about Gorzy even getting close to coming back, so that would be easy enough to get a 40 man spot. But even still, someone has to go down....who? There really aren't any clear options that won't leave us woefully short at another position - it would almost have to be Weeks I think.

appeals to these kind of suspensions typically need to be heard in person at the league offices in NY, if I remember correctly. Normally the appeals get lined up during team off days and/or scheduled team trips to play NY area teams. Players can announce they are appealing a suspension and continue to play until their appeal is heard and ruled on. Oftentimes if a team's schedule lines up appropriately, a player will drop his appeal even before the scheduled hearing and then serve his full suspension starting with the team's next game.

unless recent CBA rules have changed that process, it seems like there are ways for teams to minimize the impact suspensions have for certain players being unavailable. This Padre series wouldn't be a bad one for Gomez to sit if he gets 2-3 games even with Scafer on the DL...but, if the suspension is too long I would hope he'd appeal to at least trim a game or two off its length. I think Maldy has to appeal any suspension so the Brewers have some more time to make reasonable roster moves to cover themselves when he does serve any suspension and line up LuCroy's rest accordingly. I can see them sitting Luc for a few consecutive days and starting Maldy just before he starts his suspension, so Luc can play everyday until Maldy's back to give him a day off.

I don't think that Overbay is going anywhere, and neither is Weeks. They will continue to play with what they have, especially since they are winning games with the current roster they have.

I never understood this mentality, if that's really what they are thinking. If I own a company that is thriving, but I have one or two really bad, incompetent employees, I am surely not going to somehow draw a conclusion that they are actually vital to my success and thus should be retained.

Overbay is pretty bad. A .600 OPS aged first baseman with no power, no versatility, and no upside is not worthy of a roster spot. And I was a big fan of his 10 years ago.

Maldy suspended 5 games

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

if johnny hellweg is indeed out for the season, the brewers can recall him but then place him on the 60-day disabled list. it would mean that hellweg would accrue major league service time and a major league salary, but it would open up a spot on the 40-man roster.

I don't see anyone signing Overbay if they release him; he's slugging .261 as a 37-year-old 1B for chrissakes. Handshake agreement with "O" that they will resign him after the suspension is up. If someone does sign him, bring up Morris. Reynolds has been OK against RHP (.710 OPS), he can handle it for a few days, or plan for a time when they will face a few lefties.

I assume that if Weeks is released and someone signs him, that team is on the hook for picking up his contract next year if he accumulates 600 PAs the rest of the year.

It would look bad but I imagine Hellweg would be in danger of losing his spot since he is out of options. Is there some exception out there where he could be placed on the 60 day DL. Something like demoting Figaro, bringing up Hellweg then putting on DL and activating Kintzler?

remember how the brewers petitioned for another option year for mark rogers because he missed so much time due to injury? i wonder if the brewers can or will do the same with johnny hellweg. it was expected that come spring training 2015, he'd be out of options.

remember how the brewers petitioned for another option year for mark rogers because he missed so much time due to injury? i wonder if the brewers can or will do the same with johnny hellweg. it was expected that come spring training 2015, he'd be out of options.

I'm sure they can get a rehabbing Hellweg through waivers in spring of 2015 so they can assign him to AAA. Really he's not a major leaguer until he can command his stuff better anyway. Who knows if that will ever happen.

if johnny hellweg is indeed out for the season, the brewers can recall him but then place him on the 60-day disabled list. it would mean that hellweg would accrue major league service time and a major league salary, but it would open up a spot on the 40-man roster.

hellweg is lost for the season. the way the brewers are handcuffed with their current roster, i hope they recall him and put him on the 60-day disabled list.

Archived