Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Halton, De La Torre, Hand, Prince, Manzanillo, Green -- that's some useful depth (didn't say very good, just potentially useful) that's still in the system.

While it speaks partially to the talent levels of the players involved, when you're able to avoid losing players to waivers, you've made the right choices in proper roster management.

And remember, the Brewers could also be positioning themselves with the flexibility to make a waiver claim themselves.

And remember, the Brewers could also be positioning themselves with the flexibility to make a waiver claim themselves.

Yeah, a little roster flexibility is good at this time, when other teams may try to sneak someone through.

This move makes me scared that Reynolds and Overbay will both be added to the 40-man soon. I want nothing to do with Overbay.

I think Reynolds is a given, but Francisco seems to be a better option than Overbay. Sounds like we'll know by this weekend.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This move makes me scared that Reynolds and Overbay will both be added to the 40-man soon. I want nothing to do with Overbay.

I think it means Duke makes the roster. Francisco is out of options and Overbay would take his spot. They needed to add 2, either Reynolds and Overbay or Reynolds and Duke, and they only had one spot. It also means Wang likely makes it too and that they don't have a deal imminent for Weeks either unless it's for another guy they'd have on their 40 man.

I think its a bad move because Halton is a guy who has value as a replacement at 3 positions if an injury pops up. Now it will take a 40 man roster move to add him back. I would have outrighted Fiers instead.

Halton's a 26 year-old whose peak performance since rookie ball has been to OPS .852 in the PCL at age 25. His "three positions" (he never played corner OF before last year) are the three least valuable defensive positions, and I've never heard it said that he plays any of them especially well. He's a dime-a-dozen player whom the Brewers have wisely busted down from "roster filler" to "AAA depth," which is still stretching his value.

Melvin just referred to Lyle Overbay as a "Mark Kotsay type player" on 620. Lock it up. He's being added to the roster. Roenicke has to have that grit.

Oh Lord! Please no.....

Hopefully Roenicke doesn't start him in CF!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ryan Braun:

"I know teams are going to have to respect for this year's lineup," Braun said. "The more depth the better. [Lucroy] has a good chance to hit fifth. And with [Weeks], [Mark] Reynolds, [Lyle] Overbay, and Khris Davis hitting 6-7-8, they all have 25-30-home run potential."

Bye, Juan...

Ryan Braun:

"I know teams are going to have to respect for this year's lineup," Braun said. "The more depth the better. [Lucroy] has a good chance to hit fifth. And with [Weeks], [Mark] Reynolds, [Lyle] Overbay, and Khris Davis hitting 6-7-8, they all have 25-30-home run potential."

Bye, Juan...

Overbay has 25-30 HR potential? When? In 2006 when he hit 22 for a career high?

I hope Braun isn't hinting around that he hipped Lyle to his Juice dealer!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

That's four guys hitting 6-7-8, and we know Overbay doesn't have the HR bat the others do, so it's pretty obvious he's talking that HR quantity at 1B between Reynolds & Overbay together.

Ryan Braun:

Bye, Juan...

Overbay has 25-30 HR potential? When? In 2006 when he hit 22 for a career high?

I hope Braun isn't hinting around that he hipped Lyle to his Juice dealer!

So much for me being excited about Braun's glowing comments on Haniger.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

what's an article xx(b) free agent and how does it relate to zach duke, lyle overbay and mark reynolds and their 40-man roster status?

As far as Duke goes, he either needs to be added to the roster or told he won't be on March 26. If he isn't added and is sent to the minors then he gets a $100,000 retention bonus and June 1 opt-out date. In some cases, a la Corey Patterson a few years ago, the player will be released to avoid the bonus, and immediately re-sign a minor-league deal the next day. It really doesn't affect Overbay and Reynolds because they have their own opt-out dates in the contracts they signed. I believe Overbay's is tomorrow, and Reynolds' is on Monday. If they choose to exercise their right to be released, then the Brewers have 48 hours to either do so or add them to the roster.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

rob wooten has been optioned to the minor leagues. he can be recalled and sent down all season, and would enter 2015 spring training with two minor league options remaining.

also, zach duke has been informed that he'll be added to the 40-man roster, but it's not official yet.

in adding duke, overbay and reynolds, the 40-man roster would be full.

Love the Wang call. Like the Bianchi over Herrera call. Am pretty indifferent to the Duke over Wooten call. Duke is just a guy and I think he's going to be gone when a healthy Gorz returns.

I am ok with the bench of:

C Maldonando

2B Weeks/Gennett

OF Schafer

UTIL Bianchi

As has been discussed at length, the only real area of pain is the 1B situation. I like Reynolds as a part time player but Overbay is just a waste. A guy like Logan Morrison, who isn't a world beater, would do wonders for the roster given his positional flexibility for 1B or RF/LF. Lyle is just a burden on the roster right now.

Love the Wang call. Like the Bianchi over Herrera call. Am pretty indifferent to the Duke over Wooten call. Duke is just a guy and I think he's going to be gone when a healthy Gorz returns.

C Maldonando

2B Weeks/Gennett

OF Schafer

UTIL Bianchi

As has been discussed at length, the only real area of pain is the 1B situation. I like Reynolds as a part time player but Overbay is just a waste. A guy like Logan Morrison, who isn't a world beater, would do wonders for the roster given his positional flexibility for 1B or RF/LF. Lyle is just a burden on the roster right now.

I agree, but in the context that it also has created the problem of not having a power bat off the bench (obviously this is why many are miffed that Overbay was selected over JuanFran). In the NL, that is a pretty important role imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

C Maldonando

2B Weeks/Gennett

OF Schafer

UTIL Bianchi

I agree, but in the context that it also has created the problem of not having a power bat off the bench (obviously this is why many are miffed that Overbay was selected over JuanFran). In the NL, that is a pretty important role imo.

Keeping Gindl would have provided power off the bench also. The roster is a bit off kilter mainly because they punted on the 2B situation, but also because they went with a weak bat in Overbay to make some starts at 1B, and to pinch hit. None of these roster decisions seem fatal but could they be better? Probably. I think Schafer, Gennett, and Bianchi will all see some significant time and be useful off the bench when not starting but as always adjustments are inevitable.

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

If Maldonado is suspended more than one game (and the Brewers probably don't want to risk Lucroy getting hurt if the suspension is even one game), then they'll need to free up a 40-man roster spot to bring up a catcher (Robinzon Diaz or Matt Pagnozzi).

Rather than having to expose a player to waivers, wonder if they could place Tom Gorzelanny on the 60-man DL at this point. Gorzelanny would miss all of May, but you figure his rehab assignment (whenever that might begin) could be stretched to 20 days, although that wouldn't be his first choice, surely.

Archived