Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
Good topic but it looks like they forgot to mention if they trade for a guy like Davis there is a chance the Brewers could be trading somebody from the 40 man like Thornburg. Also, isn't there some sort of exception for removing guys off the 40 man and not risk losing them? Could they do this to Hall or Shackelford?

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RHP Michael Olmsted outrighted to AAA Nashville, as per Mike Vasallo.

Making room for Michael Young perhaps? Melvin has a history of signings close to Christmas.

Suppan was a Christmas Eve signing (or eventual lump of coal), but I don't recall any others of note. (I do still like the Michael Young idea -- better than more from the Bianchi & Elian Herrera camp.)

Does anyone else fear that when there's room to add a player it could turn out as being Yuni? I'm really hoping its to make room for a trade, but you figure a trade would take 1 from our 40man to begin with so unless we trade for 2 40man additions for our 1, maybe this is just about a future signing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Does anyone else fear that when there's room to add a player it could turn out as being Yuni? I'm really hoping its to make room for a trade, but you figure a trade would take 1 from our 40man to begin with so unless we trade for 2 40man additions for our 1, maybe this is just about a future signing.

Yuni's more like a minor league deal type guy at this point. Especially with 1B still potentially getting addressed.

EDIT: Trying to determine if Olmsted can elect minor league free agency, likely so, as he did with Boston prior to last season, and if so, how long he has to do so.

Turns out Olmsted had signed his pro contract for 2014 already (may not have been announced by the team yet), and since this is his first outright assignment, he is not able to refuse it.

Olmsted will be a minor league free agent after the 2014 season unless re-added to the 40-man roster, and the Brewers have done that before, as I pointed out on Twitter this AM.

A bit of luck? Two key members of #Brewers staff, Estrada (Oct. '10) & Kintzler (June '12), were DFA'd by MILW & were available on waivers.

Just today, several players have been claimed on waivers by other clubs who had room on their 40-man rosters.

It could just be the Brewers were tempted by some of those names, and wanted to have an open roster spot at the ready to be able to take advantage of future instances.

[sarcasm]No one has yet suggested that it is to make room for the Lohse for two top-50 prospects trade? Come on, we need to make room for the upper-level SP and 3B prospects we are getting![/sarcasm]

The waiver claim we missed out on was Shawn Tolleson; he was hurt last year and only pitched 8 innings between the minors and majors, but his minor league career numbers were fantastic. In 2011 he struck out 105 and walked 18 in 69 innings as a closer in the Dodgers system. (He was claimed by the Rangers.)

Speaking of the Dodgers, they still have a hole at 3B and Melvin has said that the offseason is the best time to trade position players...

How is it possible the Rangers would have waiver claim priority over Milwaukee? I thought Waivers worked worst records to best records?

If Milwaukee put in for Tolleson then they should have gotten him ahead of Texas?

I did wonder that with all these claims having been put in if the move with Olmstead was to make room for a claim.

And then I thought, Do they really have to have just 39men on their roster in order to make a claim? Or can't they make the claim first, achieve winning the claim, and settling the waived player of their own off their 40 man?

Maybe Milwaukee just seen it for what it was, Olmstead doesn't have a future with this team.

• 5 weeks later...
wonder who would end up being removed if Reynolds/Overbay are added for 1B depth

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

wonder who would end up being removed if Reynolds/Overbay are added for 1B depth

My guess is Weeks gets traded. That clears one spot.

They are not going to cut Weeks right away and he has almost no trade value. There is a decent amount of fluff on the 40 man that can be removed namely Rogers, Herrera,and Figaro.

Archived