Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Did we really just pick a rookie league player with 47 professional innings in the Rule 5 draft. But possible purpose could that serve. No chance he is on the 25. He is a lefty but I really can't envision a 21 year old kid going from the Gulf Cost League to Milwaukee and actually sticking.

How is this kid even eligible for the Rule 5 draft anyways?

How is this kid even eligible for the Rule 5 draft anyways?

It's the Cody Scarpetta rule:

Source: The reason Wang was eligible here is because his original contract with the Pirates was voided. The Pirates originally signed him for $350,000, but the deal was voided due to medical concerns which led to Tommy John surgery. They re-signed him to a second deal and he underwent the surgery. Any player whose original deal is voided becomes Rule 5 eligible the next draft, no matter when they signed their contract.

Read the linked site for a bit more on Wang, who signed initially for $350,000, then re-signed for $60,000.

"When the Brewers drafted righthander Cody Scarpetta out of high school with their 11th-round pick in 2007, Scarpetta initially signed for $325,000, but the Brewers voided that contract and re-signed him a few weeks later for $125,000 when he needed to have surgery on a pre-existing injury to his right index finger. Scarpetta became eligible for the Rule 5 draft the following year, and after he spent the 2009 season in low Class A Wisconsin, the Brewers placed him on their 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft" - Baseball America

I don't see him staying. He will either be returned to Pittsburgh or a trade will be made in Spring Training. I don't see any real way he stays in Milwaukee for the full season.

Yeah, my guess is they hope Pittsburgh doesn't want him that bad when it comes time to return him and they send over some other minor leaguer or cash over in a trade.

I've been trying to find more information but did this kid play professionally overseas? His age makes me think he might have for at least a season or two but I don't see that he has.

I would guess what happens to Wang Chung depends on what happens with Will Smith. If Smith is the loogy then Wang won't be making the team. If Smith is in the rotation then Wang probably stays as the loogy.

I've been trying to find more information but did this kid play professionally overseas? His age makes me think he might have for at least a season or two but I don't see that he has.

I would guess what happens to Wang Chung depends on what happens with Will Smith. If Smith is the loogy then Wang won't be making the team. If Smith is in the rotation then Wang probably stays as the loogy.

well he had TJ in 2012, and a friend of mine who follows the buccos closely told me that the reason why he was in rookie ball this year was because he was in extended spring training recovering and supposedly should have been in A ball this year. he said the organization was high on this kid, but he wasnt with the team long enough to protect from this draft with a 40-man roster spot when they've got so many good/great prospects to protect as it is

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

well he had TJ in 2012, and a friend of mine who follows the buccos closely told me that the reason why he was in rookie ball this year was because he was in extended spring training recovering and supposedly should have been in A ball this year. he said the organization was high on this kid, but he wasnt with the team long enough to protect from this draft with a 40-man roster spot when they've got so many good/great prospects to protect as it is

I was guessing based on his age and just having had Tommy John he was probably in rookie ball for rehab more so than that was the level he was supposed to be at.

IIRC, they can stash him on IR but he has to be placed on the 25-man roster when he comes off of IR. So I think if he isn't fully recovered from TJ they can put him on IR at least for a while.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

IIRC, they can stash him on IR but he has to be placed on the 25-man roster when he comes off of IR. So I think if he isn't fully recovered from TJ they can put him on IR at least for a while.

would have to go on 60-day DL to not count on 25-man roster, but he pitched in 2013 after TJ in 2012, with pretty good numbers, so he's not hurt anymore so they can't do this.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

would have to go on 60-day DL to not count on 25-man roster, but he pitched in 2013 after TJ in 2012, with pretty good numbers, so he's not hurt anymore so they can't do this.

You mean 60-day DL to not count on the 40-man roster and 15 day DL for 25 man, right? Or is there a different rule for rule 5 pickups?

I think this guy winds up sticking. Sounds appealing to have a 93-94MPH Fastball and a plus Curve ball to go with it. When the guy only walked 4 batters in his...47ip? was it? I'm not as concerned about him making the jump to likely turn in as a mop up/Loogy RP. When after this season the Brewers could return his development back to a SP and maybe have found a gem no one thought would be acquired.

And for his price talk about a great find being a Lefty RP. Rather than pay JP Howell 3-4mil a year they get an upstart for League Minimum. Who has upside.

You mean 60-day DL to not count on the 40-man roster and 15 day DL for 25 man, right? Or is there a different rule for rule 5 pickups?

you're right, 15-day /25-man, 60-day /40-man, theres not a different rule for rule 5, I just had a brain fart

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

The three players outrighted by the Brewers October 23rd (RHP's Santo Manzanillo, Josh Ravin, and Jesus Sanchez) all have over seven years of professional experience. Each will become a minor league free agent five days after the World Series unless they agree to a new minor league deal with the Brewers. Even if Sanchez did not have the service time (he's an eight-year pro), because this is the second time he's been outrighted (late in 2010 by the Phillies), he could have elected free agency.

Josh Ravin signs a minor league deal with the Dodgers today; earlier Sanchez had signed one with the Marlins, no word on Manzanillo yet.

The three players outrighted by the Brewers October 23rd (RHP's Santo Manzanillo, Josh Ravin, and Jesus Sanchez) all have over seven years of professional experience. Each will become a minor league free agent five days after the World Series unless they agree to a new minor league deal with the Brewers. Even if Sanchez did not have the service time (he's an eight-year pro), because this is the second time he's been outrighted (late in 2010 by the Phillies), he could have elected free agency.

Josh Ravin signs a minor league deal with the Dodgers today; earlier Sanchez had signed one with the Marlins, no word on Manzanillo yet.

Sanchez seemed to always be a MiLBer that a lot of people wanted to see get a shot in milwaukee, wonder what kept him from getting a shot

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived