Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will middlebrooks had his contract purchased after the brewers transferred chris capuano to the 60-day disabled list. he is out of minor league options and can declare free agency if the brewers wish to outright him to the minor leagues. the 40-man roster remains full.

six players from 2016 big league camp on minor league contracts have cracked the club's 25-man roster thus far this season. will have to do some digging to see if that's a record.

six players from 2016 big league camp on minor league contracts have cracked the club's 25-man roster thus far this season. will have to do some digging to see if that's a record.

seven non-roster invitees from 2010 spent time on the 2010 25-man roster. i haven't researched prior to 2010 to see if seven is a record high.

so, 2016 isn't necessarily a record . . . yet.

• 3 weeks later...

andrew susac takes will smith's spot on the 40-man roster. susac has at least one minor league option remaining; he may not have burned an option in 2015, which would leave him two entering 2017 spring training.

the 40-man remains at capacity.

the trade of jonathan lucroy and jeremy jeffress opened up two spots on the 40-man roster. manny pina becomes the seventh non-roster player in 2016 spring training to have his contract selected by the brewers. pina does not have any minor league options remaining.

the roster is at 39, with a spot still open on the 25-man roster.

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/194047288/brewers-move-clint-coulter-up-to-double-a/

The Brewers needed Pena's spot on the 40-man roster and at Triple-A Colorado Springs for right-hander Ben Rowen, claimed off waivers this week from Toronto. He reported for duty on Saturday.

McCalvy must be confused because Pena wasn't on the 40 man, right?

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/194047288/brewers-move-clint-coulter-up-to-double-a/

The Brewers needed Pena's spot on the 40-man roster and at Triple-A Colorado Springs for right-hander Ben Rowen, claimed off waivers this week from Toronto. He reported for duty on Saturday.

McCalvy must be confused because Pena wasn't on the 40 man, right?

pena was outrighted to aaa in april.

• 2 weeks later...

the brewers announced that they are selecting the contract of brent suter to pitch tomorrow. someone will have to be removed from the 40-man to accommodate this move.

if the brewers opt to option suter after his start, they can recall him in early september and not burn his minor league option.

Technically Magnifico was optioned for Suter, with Flores being DFA'd to make room for Santana. Can't say that I will miss Flores.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well, it took longer than a week to fill the 40th roster spot. josmil pinto had his contract selected today. the 40-man roster is full.

pinto will enter 2017 spring training with no minor league options remaining, and he becomes the eighth 2016 spring training non-roster invitee to make the club.

Pinto could be a contender for 1B next year if we trade Carter. Could also be a useful power bat off the bench and emergency catcher.

Similar to Pina, he played too well at AAA this year to not get a shot. I can't imagine he'll get much playing time but also wouldn't surprise me if he got a start or two at 1B before the end of the season.

Congrats Josmil!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suspect we'll see the following names off the 40 man in the next few weeks:

Wilkins, Cecchini, Goforth, Elmore, Pinto, Rowen, Boyer, Blazek and maybe one or two more. I'm guessing they try and get Blazek to return on a minor league deal.

I think anywhere from 10-14 will get removed this off season, possibly more if Stearns makes some waiver claims. My prediction: Capuano and Boyer (free agency), Goforth, Houser, Rowen, Pinto, Cecchini, Wilkins, Elmore, Liriano, Rivera, Blazek. Would have said Scahill a month ago but he earned a spot the last month. A good chance Goforth, Houser, Liriano, Rivera stick with the organization.

------------------------

Discussion continued here:

40-man roster discussion (part 2)

Archived