Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
We'll have to keep an eye on Yhonathan Barrios' shoulder injury, he may be a 60-day DL candidate, which would free up a roster spot.

i can't recall a brewer who was likely ticketed to the minor leagues (such as barrios) ever being put on the 60-day disabled list before opening day. it likely stems from the team's reluctance for that player to earn major league service time (and pay) while on the disabled list.

I vaguely remember a player winning a complaint against the Brewers forcing him to be added to the 60 man during extended spring training since his injury occurred with the major league club.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Yhonathan is already covered. Unless he's already been optioned to the minors, I don't think a trip to the minor league DL is possible. If there's going to be a trip to the DL, I'd bet on it being the Major League DL.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

We'll have to keep an eye on Yhonathan Barrios' shoulder injury, he may be a 60-day DL candidate, which would free up a roster spot.

i can't recall a brewer who was likely ticketed to the minor leagues (such as barrios) ever being put on the 60-day disabled list before opening day. it likely stems from the team's reluctance for that player to earn major league service time (and pay) while on the disabled list.

I vaguely remember a player winning a complaint against the Brewers forcing him to be added to the 60 man during extended spring training since his injury occurred with the major league club.

I sort of remember that too? Was it Kintzler?

i should clarify. barrios would definitely qualify for the 15-day disabled list, and would accrue major league service time and pay during that time. he could be activated when the 15 days are up, and either sent to the minors on a rehab assignment or optioned to the minors and paid per the terms of his split contract (and then placed on the minor league dl). thus, the brewers would reduce his service time by 45 days by using the 15-day instead of the 60-day disabled list.

I sort of remember that too? Was it Kintzler?

i believe this is what you're referring to. it wasn't during spring training, and it was kintzler appealing to be placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers announced the option of RHP Zach Davies, RHP Junior Guerra, INF Garin Cecchini and 1B Andy Wilkins

This is Davies' 1st option (can be again as needed in 2017 and 2018), Guerra and Wilkins can be optioned again in 2017, while Cecchini would need to stay in the big leagues come 2017 to avoid exposure to waivers.

Glad to see Wilkins optioned. Under the old regime I feel he would have made the team and played way too much.

I don't think the old regime would have viewed him any differently. Wilkins is this year's version of Matt Clark and old regime never went overboard to keep him in the big leagues.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Glad to see Wilkins optioned. Under the old regime I feel he would have made the team and played way too much.

I don't think the old regime would have viewed him any differently. Wilkins is this year's version of Matt Clark and old regime never went overboard to keep him in the big leagues.

I think..... and I may be wrong here, but my guess is that he's referring to the fact that Counsell spoke very highly of Wilkins during ST. Counsell basically said Wilkins is the "next guy up" if something happens to Carter injury-wise. (or possibly if Carter falls flat on his face.)

I'm really not all that worried about Andy Wilkins getting too much playing time. If it happens it's because Carter is hurt, or sucking so bad that he's not justified in playing. Even if Wilkins does play, he's not a long term option, so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Carter keeps steady where he's at right now then Wilkins won't be up unless an injury occurs. and Carter will also exceed his past few years of production

I expect Carter to hit .220-ish, with power. And walks. Which will be fine for this year.

If Carter keeps steady where he's at right now then Wilkins won't be up unless an injury occurs. and Carter will also exceed his past few years of production

I expect Carter to hit .220-ish, with power. And walks. Which will be fine for this year.

Right. It would be great if he stayed at 241/333/954 but it'll most likely be lower than that. Hopefully he stays in that 230/315 range with 30HR+. I wish Walsh was hitting closer to 250 as his 375 OBP is great (even more so given his actual BA is 208).

I think..... and I may be wrong here, but my guess is that he's referring to the fact that Counsell spoke very highly of Wilkins during ST. Counsell basically said Wilkins is the "next guy up" if something happens to Carter injury-wise. (or possibly if Carter falls flat on his face.)

I'm really not all that worried about Andy Wilkins getting too much playing time. If it happens it's because Carter is hurt, or sucking so bad that he's not justified in playing. Even if Wilkins does play, he's not a long term option, so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over it.

No it was because he's an older guy with little upside and put up pretty good spring numbers. Doug and Ron always needed a pointless veteran on the roster for whatever reason. Given the lot of those type guys in camp this year I shutter to think what the opening day roster would look like with those two still in charge.

I don't get the Middlebrooks love. I don't know if he has an opt-out clause that kicks in, but if he does, I suspect he'll be gone one way or the other in a few days.

article xx(b) free agents that sign minor league deals are automatically granted opt-out clauses. to be an article xx(b) free agent, one must have at least six years of major league service time. will middlebrooks does not have sufficient service time, so if there's an opt-out clause, it wasn't mandated by the collective bargaining agreement. middlebrooks would have had to negotiate for an opt-out clause when he signed his contract.

Stop and think about this. We're wringing our hands over whether the likes of EYJ, Middlebrooks, or Wilkins make the 25 man roster. In a couple years, we'll be talking about guys like Medeiros, D Williams, Ponce, Harrison, Lara, I Diaz, Clark, etc., etc. possibly being blocked by Hader, Lopez, Davies, Arcia, Phillips, Santana.

There's going to be some very big decisions down the road, will be fun to debate.

I don't get the Middlebrooks love. I don't know if he has an opt-out clause that kicks in, but if he does, I suspect he'll be gone one way or the other in a few days.

article xx(b) free agents that sign minor league deals are automatically granted opt-out clauses. to be an article xx(b) free agent, one must have at least six years of major league service time. will middlebrooks does not have sufficient service time, so if there's an opt-out clause, it wasn't mandated by the collective bargaining agreement. middlebrooks would have had to negotiate for an opt-out clause when he signed his contract.

Appreciate the clarification. That would cover Boyer, Capuano and Morales. Looks likely that 2 of those 3 will be added to the roster this weekend. I'd give the edge to proven relievers Boyer and Morales but Capuano can't be counted out and it's possible they'll find a deal with a team looking for bullpen help.

• 2 weeks later...
Tyler Cravy's 2nd career minor league option is now rescinded with his quick call-up today. Should he remain on the 25-man roster all season, he'll still have two minor league options remaining.

Does this mean Garza is going to the DL?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

New LHP Sam Freeman has zero minor league options left.

If Ariel Pena clears waivers and the Brewers don't outright release him, then he can choose free agency.

freeman is in the same boat as pena, as he's out of options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues once before. if the brewers try to send freeman to the minor leagues, he has the right to declare free agency also.

• 3 weeks later...

zack jones transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up a spot for alex presley. presley has no minor league options remaining. he has also been outrighted to the minor leagues before, so if the brewers wish to outright him again, presley has the right to refuse the assignment and declare free agency.

the 40-man roster remains full.

Archived