Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with the trade of adam lind for three minor league prospects, the 40-man roster is now at 34. i can't recall a time during the winter meetings when the brewers last had so many open spots.

Speaks to the likelihood of more trades coming, i.e. Lucroy and/or others for multiple players who would be added to the 40 man

Please forgive my ignorance: at what point in a player's minor league career does a team need to put them on the 40 Man or risk losing them? Thanks in advance

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Four years of pro experience for most players; five years for those signed at age 18 or younger. Did I miss anything? :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Hate waiver losses. Want Mike Strong to excel, but then you live with the pain; Melvin lost 20 guys & never regretted it - list here

Well, there's this guy named R.A. Dickey who started throwing a knuckleball in 2005 and after being named the PCL Pitcher of the Year for the Brewers in 2007 was let go.

While it's unlikely that the Brewers would have traded him for Syndergaard and d'Arnaud, they might not have had to trade for Grienke (or Marcum) if they had a little more patience with him. Especially for an organization that was void of pitching.

I reckon the point of making Piña a PTBNL was to give Stearns roster flexibility through the Rule 5 draft so he had as many slots open as possible and in case of trades. I take it that he made Detroit carry him on their 40 man thru the Rule 5 draft.

We are trying to decipher Stearns' philosophy, but I'm reminded of some of the NFL teams who keep trading down in the draft to increase their odds. I recall Jimmy Johnson talking about the importance of it. He realized that player evaluation had a crapshoot element to it (although that's not all it is is, certainly), and he wanted to increase his odds by having more picks. He devised the chart that teams use to evaluate pick value for trade downs. In any event, Stearns could be trying to get a ton of guys in and hoping some are gold. Cecchini or Villar, maybe one fulfills their once-considered considerable promise. Keep sticking your oars in the water and hit the jackpot. Same with the three prospects from the Mariners with the analytics he likes. Increase the odds by trying to hit on more guys.

We will see how it plays out in due time.

I find the prospect game to be fascinating. It will be fun watching our prospect lists going forward. Add another easily anticipated couple of big drafts or three and a couple or three nice trades and I will say our 25 lists easily will be more fun out to 50 for us die hards! This time, after the first wave starts rolling through Milwaukee, we've got to be stingier with trading the prospects behind them. A certain number of the guys we anticipate never pan out (LaPorta, Gamel, et al) and we will need all hands on deck behind them so we can't just launch all of the next wave. Some targeted trades are ok. And drive a hard bargain. Look at the Mets. They got Cespedes and told everyone to pound sand on their young pitchers. That's how you negotiate. Our negotiators let all of Odorizzi, Lawrie, Brantley, Cain, Escobar et all get away. While people say you don't get in the playoffs without the trades, the better question is whether better trades could have been negotiated, frankly.

I reckon the point of making Piña a PTBNL was to give Stearns roster flexibility through the Rule 5 draft so he had as many slots open as possible and in case of trades. I take it that he made Detroit carry him on their 40 man thru the Rule 5 draft.

Pina was not on the Tigers' 40-man, but he was Rule 5 eligible. That's why they had to wait.

• 3 weeks later...

the roster reached capacity nearly two weeks ago with the claiming of kirk nieuwenhuis off waivers from the mets, josmil pinto off waivers from the padres and andy wilkins off waivers from the rangers.

of these three, only wilkins has remaining minor league options (two options remaining).

the 40-man roster is relatively balanced with 19 position players and 21 pitchers.

Just to summarize the option situation, these players have no options remaining: Jonathan Villar, Tyler Thornburg, Josmil Pinto, Shane Peterson, Ariel Peña, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Jeremy Jeffress, and Ramón Flores.

These players have one option remaining: Michael Blazek, Garin Cecchini, Scooter Gennett, Corey Knebel, Martín Maldonado, Wily Peralta, Domingo Santana, and Will Smith.

Here's the 40-man roster, which includes every player's option status.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

the 40-man remains full with the signing of chris carter and the dfa of josmil pinto.

here's the update on player options:

Just to summarize the option situation, these players have no options remaining: Jonathan Villar, Tyler Thornburg, Josmil Pinto, Shane Peterson, Ariel Peña, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Jeremy Jeffress, and Ramón Flores.

These players have one option remaining: Michael Blazek, Garin Cecchini, Scooter Gennett, Corey Knebel, Martín Maldonado, Wily Peralta, Domingo Santana, and Will Smith.

Here's the 40-man roster, which includes every player's option status.

Shane Peterson survives again lol

Dude has a gritty, battling quality that's going to carry him through it all.

Yeah I like him as a player just know the board is not so on board with him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

rymer liriano is now on the roster. birth records legit? or another imposter?

he's from the dr, so we'll wait and see. the roster is full, 'cos it's set at forty.

shane peterson's cut, so he packs his things. maybe he's headed to colorado springs?

rymer liriano is now on the roster. birth records legit? or another imposter?

he's from the dr, so we'll wait and see. the roster is full, 'cos it's set at forty.

shane peterson's cut, so he packs his things. maybe he's headed to colorado springs?

I doubt Shane Peterson stays...though I think that about a lot of people who end up taking the assignment. I just feel like he would have a better opportunity somewhere else. In all honesty Shane Peterson wasn't bad at all.

Adam McCalvy's tweet offered his opinion that he thought Shane Peterson's a pretty solid 4th OF. I agree wholeheartedly. He also hit .294 as a PH. Other than Gerardo Parra, we haven't had many good 4th OFs and good PHs in recent years outside of Peterson (noting that Jason Rogers was also a decent PH).

I hope Peterson stays. I don't get the bile about this guy. He can hit and generally has decent ABs, the latter of which can't be said for a number of our starters.

While I hope he pans out, there's no guarantee Liriano's going to prove MLB-worthy. You don't want just prospects for your bench because many will just rot when they need to be playing everyday, and their development -- and eventually their potential -- will fizzle. In the end, you risk losing a proven-not-great-but-respectable player while your lottery ticket proves to be a dud.

In the end, after Braun & Davis there are only a few spots at most for Nieuwenhuis, Broxton, Liriano, Flores, Presley, and Young, not to mention Peterson and prospects Reed, Phillips, Santana, etc. I get the value of competition and (current or once-) promising talent, as well as quantity, but there are only 5 MLB and 4-5 AAA OF spots.

I always liked Peterson too, and I hope and think, given the opportunity, he'll sketch out a solid mlb career as a 4th OFer. however, low ceiling, adequate 4-5th OFs are plentiful, which is why opportunities are hard to come by. on the flip side, high ceiling athletes like Ramon Flores and Rymer Liriano are not. they have the upside potential to be solid starters for years to come, and are young and controllable assets. in the next two years, we have no need for quality PHers like shane Petersons or mark kotsays, we are auditioning for the team of our future, which hopefully a lot of these guys could be a part of.

Here is the path that keeps our assets intact/in the organization, in my mind- barring future trade/injury:

MLB OF: Santana, Braun, Davis, Liriano (no options left) & Niewenhuis (no options left)

*60 Day DL: Ramon Flores- when he comes back- DFA/trade Niewenhuis

AAA OF: Phillips, Reed, Broxton (don't burn service time and save an option year w/ them). Guez, Wren & Presley/Young on bench/dh

AA OF: Taylor, Coulter, Roache, Young/Presley (taxi squad)

with this configuration, there's no real push to trade anyone (ie Davis/braun), unless you think their value is more now than it will be during the season or after. I think the real interesting thing will be spring training 2017 with young depth at OF and pitching. barring trades/injuries, which almost certainly will happen to the roster, you'll have all those guys at AAA, expectantly be fully ready for a MLB job. In addition, there is the potential for AA repeat guys Taylor and Roache to get brought up to AAA and be ready to compete in the MLB next year.

All the more reason that if you aren't going to trade Braun, that he move to 1B next year to free up an OF spot. in 2017, if Braun moves to 1B and Khrush is traded, it would leave the OF in some configuration of Santana, Flores, Liriano, Phillips, Reed, Broxton. and one of the latter three will either have to stay in AAA or someone else will need to move.

Love it- so many assets. and that's not even looking at all the young, controllable pitching. big pool to draw from.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived