Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wang was already a Rule 5 pick, doesnt that make him ineligible for it again?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I was close, thought it was Enrique Cruz & Jeff Bennett...still I hope they don't go with 2 because the unprotected list isn't too impressive but I'd def take a short at 1 of them

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Maybe they will select two rule 5 players in next month's draft.

Last time Brewers did so...

If I remember correctly, Ford actually looked serviceable (at least better than Wang did) and then got the mysterious "I've been active long enough to be retained and now I can get hurt" injury and was never heard from again. Cruz was just all around bad.

• 2 weeks later...
They must have something big planned for the winter meetings and/or the Rule 5 draft.

I have been intrigued because he was talking about opening up spots even when it was down to 37-38. What exactly do you need so many spots open for? He really likes having spots open for whatever reason.

Must know he is taking a Rule 5 guy and heck maybe even a second.

They must have something big planned for the winter meetings and/or the Rule 5 draft.

Yea, Fields didn't have a history so dropping him was no big deal, but Strong has been around for a while and even if he was old for the level, he pitched decently last year. Dropping him now suggests things are coming.

Maybe they are trading Arcia for a backup catcher, aging 3B, and a #5 starter, so they need the roster spots.

Purely a guess but opening up 40 man roster spots means the Brewers, as sellers, are looking to trade more than 1 player.

Lind is obvious, trading him for 2 players. But since the Brewers now have 5 40 man spots available it is likely that Braun or Lucroy or somebody else will be traded.

Lucroy for 3 players, Lind for 2 players, that kind of thing

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Purely a guess but opening up 40 man roster spots means the Brewers, as sellers, are looking to trade more than 1 player.

Lind is obvious, trading him for 2 players. But since the Brewers now have 5 40 man spots available it is likely that Braun or Lucroy or somebody else will be traded.

Lucroy for 3 players, Lind for 2 players, that kind of thing

Right but that is something he could do at the time of the trade. Does doing it now speed up the process for some reason where it could hamper something down the line? I am just curious if there is actually a reason to DFA them early or if it is just helping him to visualize the roster.

I was surprised Strong lasted this long. I could not understand why he kept a spot when Perez lost his. Fields never made any sense. Apparently Stearns believes there will be some quality players out there looking for jobs when the dust settles and the prime FA are all grabbed up. He'll have the ability to offer major league deals to guys who otherwise might have to settle for minor league offers.

Archived