Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks

Even the Brewers get confused sometimes (twitter) --

RHP Tyler Cravy has been reinstated from the 15-day DL. He will be active for today's game. With his addition, the 40-man roster is full.

I countered --

Cravy was already on 40-man roster, his 15-day DL status wouldn't have impacted that.

So the roster is at 39 as of Sunday AM.

I think multiple staff members, including Jeff Levering, have access to post under the Brewers' twitter account. Oops on that one.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, with Dominguez now gone, that would seem to put the 40-man roster at 38.

This seems like preparation for a couple Arcia, Lopez, etc. types. And I'd guess days on the 40-man are numbered for guys like Kintzler, Centeno, and obviously Lohse.

I'd like it to be Matt Clark. He and Rogers deserve to play. Both are entering their primes. Lind will likely be dealt.

I second the vote for a call-up of Matt Clark. He was optioned to AAA in spring training, though, so he's already on the 40-man and a Sept. call-up doesn't change that picture.

MNBrew, part of the reason I like Clark is that young sluggers don't always produce at age 23. Sometimes it takes till 26-30. Think Jose Bautista, Nelson Cruz, Jose Guillen, Edwin Encarnacion, etc.

Given that Clark could likely hit at least .260/.330/.440, he'd be exactly what we need....cheap production. As he improves and gets more expensive, he can be dealt.

I'm also tired of hearing that Rogers can't play 3b. Yes, he's not ideal over 162-games. But in 10-20 games a year, his offense will likely overcome shortcomings.

MNBrew, part of the reason I like Clark is that young sluggers don't always produce at age 23. Sometimes it takes till 26-30. Think Jose Bautista, Nelson Cruz, Jose Guillen, Edwin Encarnacion, etc.

Given that Clark could likely hit at least .260/.330/.440, he'd be exactly what we need....cheap production. As he improves and gets more expensive, he can be dealt.

I'm also tired of hearing that Rogers can't play 3b. Yes, he's not ideal over 162-games. But in 10-20 games a year, his offense will likely overcome shortcomings.

I was agreeing with you on Clark. I like him and feel he should get another chance to produce at the big-league level. I do like Adam Lind, too, so I appreciate the dilemma of (or some people's frustration about) that redundancy.

My point about "a Sept. call-up doesn't change that picture" was in reference to the fact that he's already on the 40-man -- has been all year since they optioned him at the end of spring training -- so calling him up doesn't change the current head count of the 40-man roster.

I'm guessing the reason they haven't called Clark up is Melvin's M.O. about not calling up guys who stand little if any chance to get into a game. Whether that's the best choice is a different conversation. I've mentioned before I'd hope they'd call him up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

junior guerra has been claimed from the white sox. he will enter 2016 spring training with two minor league options remaining.

to open a spot on the full 40-man roster, the brewers designated nevin ashley for assignment. ashley has the right to declare free agency if no other team claims him.

the 40-man roster remains full (players currently on the 40-man eligible for free agency cannot declare their free agency until after the world series).

Guerra, is a 30 year old one time catcher who toiled in Indy Leagues until recently.

Yes he put up some decent AAA stats this year, but is it worth giving a 40 man spot to a 30 year old reliever with such a limited resume? I wouldn't think so. Has to be dozens of FA minor leaguers with as much upside.

Will go down as Stearns' first player acquisition, so it's historic I guess.

Guerra, is a 30 year old one time catcher who toiled in Indy Leagues until recently.

Yes he put up some decent AAA stats this year, but is it worth giving a 40 man spot to a 30 year old reliever with such a limited resume? I wouldn't think so. Has to be dozens of FA minor leaguers with as much upside.

Will go down as Stearns' first player acquisition, so it's historic I guess.

They'll easily dump him if they need a spot for someone younger/better.

Thought the new gm made some comments about getting younger?

I wouldn't look at this as any sort of trend by Stearns. Nothing states he has to be kept on the 40 man if someone better comes along. The chances of him remaining on the 40 man roster is probably 50/50 at best. By adding him now it gives us a chance to keep him in the organization if he's waived and clears waivers. Had we not used that spot on him now we would have basically wasted a small chance of finding a nugget for nothing.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

With the AAA franchise in Colorado Springs, I suspect Brewers may see difficulty in adding quality veteran minor league FA arms to fill the roster there. So if that's the thinking, then sure, claiming guys who they still have assignment rights with is one way around that issue. But it's kind of inside baseball that will have most fans scratching their heads coming from new leadership.

With the up and down nature of bullpen guys, I don't care how old he is. Just give me a couple of capable pre-arby years.

I would assume the plan is to stash him in AAA as the Brewers would seemingly have the last spot for a competition of Strong (and whoever I forgot) and probably Pena/Cravy/Wagner (assuming Jungmann and Davies are in the rotation and Thornburg is in the pen and Garza isn't offloaded).

Archived