Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where would one go to find team stats on what teams got from their catchers in total for a season?

Baseball-Reference has positional splits. Here is the link to the Dodgers' 2014 positional splits. They got a line of .181/.283/.261/.544 from the catcher position... I had no idea it was that dire.

To access these for any team, go to the team's main page, & from the gray menu bar (first item on the left is titled Franchise Encyclopedia), select "Batting" --> "Splits"

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

it's a full roster with the addition of rhp david goforth.

it should be noted that the brewers are currently carrying three utility-type players all out minor league options in hector gomez, elian herrera and luis jimenez. it's a long shot for all three (if all healthy) to make the club out of spring training.

Where would one go to find team stats on what teams got from their catchers in total for a season?

Baseball-Reference has positional splits. Here is the link to the Dodgers' 2014 positional splits. They got a line of .181/.283/.261/.544 from the catcher position... I had no idea it was that dire.

Dire? They were an on-base machine!

2013 Brewers 1B - .206/.259/.370/.629

I honestly wonder if there is a worse team positional split in the history of baseball (factoring in the position).

it's a full roster with the addition of rhp david goforth.

it should be noted that the brewers are currently carrying three utility-type players all out minor league options in hector gomez, elian herrera and luis jimenez. it's a long shot for all three (if all healthy) to make the club out of spring training.

The Brewers have what might be considered a similar abundance at what amounts to their AAA 1B spot: Matt Clark, Jason Rogers, & Hunter Morris.

If it comes to subsequent moves -- which I highly suspect it will -- especially if it's a direct addition w/o a subtraction within the move (in other words, some transaction other than a player-for-player trade), 6 guys as fringe MLB players at essentially two AAA roster slots becomes a fairly easy target for thinning the herd to create needed 40-man space.

To access these for any team, go to the team's main page, & from the gray menu bar (first item on the left is titled Franchise Encyclopedia), select "Batting" --> "Splits"

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for, I even was tooling around the B-R site and couldn't figure out how to find them.

For what its worth, I recall a broadcast or maybe a radio interview where Melvin said he gets calls on Maldonado all the time, but the offers weren't enough to motivate him. I think he hits pretty well with regular playing time.

I do confess that it amazes and amuses me when he bunts for hits.

Formerly AKA Pete

Brewers outright RHP Ariel Pena (Greinke deal).

Out of options and with a late season balky elbow, you could pretty much see this coming.

Although this is his first outright assignment, it's unclear whether Pena can choose free agency. A pro since 2007, he has eclipsed the seven professional years necessary to earn that right, with eight under his belt.

Roster now at 39.

Greinke deal looking worse and worse. Segura better figure it out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers outright RHP Ariel Pena (Greinke deal).

Out of options and with a late season balky elbow, you could pretty much see this coming.

Although this is his first outright assignment, it's unclear whether Pena can choose free agency. A pro since 2007, he has eclipsed the seven professional years necessary to earn that right, with eight under his belt.

Roster now at 39.

Mass, have you heard anything about Pena's 'balky elbow'? I just remember at the time that the team said he needed some rest, then they would re-evaluate things. Is this a sign things haven't gone well?

Have learned the reason Pena was not eligible for free agency was because he had signed his contract for 2015, and he could be assigned under the terms of that new contract. If he is not re-added to the 40-man at some point, he will be a minor league free agent after the 2015 season.

And no, sorry, nothing new to mention on the injury front...

Have learned the reason Pena was not eligible for free agency was because he had signed his contract for 2015, and he could be assigned under the terms of that new contract.

I assume the Brewers agreed in that contract to pay him at least as much as if he was on the 40 man roster, then they basically bought a 40 man slot. Sound right?

I would love the Brewers to be creative in having guys in the minors that 'one more year' to see if they pan out. If that involves deals that overpay for being off the 40 man, then so be it. I mean if you pay 200k to 10 guys (flyers, hanger on'ers, injury coming back'ers, etc) you have only spent $2 mill to keep under control these guys. To be honest, there would likely only be a few guys a year that would 'qualify'. So you simply budget $1 mill a year to keep old hopefuls.

This is similar to I hope the Brewers overpay for minor league deals for AAA guys to have a few MLB roster backups that are the highest quality possible.

And this is similar for my desire to 'overpay' (get the best quality) for the fourth outfielder and first backup infielder.

I would love the Brewers to be creative in having guys in the minors that 'one more year' to see if they pan out. If that involves deals that overpay for being off the 40 man, then so be it. I mean if you pay 200k to 10 guys (flyers, hanger on'ers, injury coming back'ers, etc) you have only spent $2 mill to keep under control these guys. To be honest, there would likely only be a few guys a year that would 'qualify'. So you simply budget $1 mill a year to keep old hopefuls.

This is similar to I hope the Brewers overpay for minor league deals for AAA guys to have a few MLB roster backups that are the highest quality possible.

And this is similar for my desire to 'overpay' (get the best quality) for the fourth outfielder and first backup infielder.

Are you speaking about when they become free agents? Id like that too, unfortunately, the players are going to go where ever they feel they have the best chance to make the majors, and if taking league min for another team with a better chance of getting to the majors is available, I dont know if 200k more would really sway them to stay

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 1 month later...

this thread wasn't updated when shane peterson was claimed. that move put the 40-man roster at capacity.

when today's trade of yovani gallardo with texas is made official, one spot will have to be cleared for the two players with major league contracts (infielder luis sardinas and pitcher corey knebel).

I assume Hunter has been outrighted to AA/AAA, and is not going through waivers. Right? I won't totally rule him out, but I've been down on him for a while. We all gave up on Nelson Cruz, Jose Bautista, Jose Guillen, etc. Sometimes hitters figure it out late. Good luck to Hunter with things

I assume Hunter has been outrighted to AA/AAA, and is not going through waivers. Right? I won't totally rule him out, but I've been down on him for a while. We all gave up on Nelson Cruz, Jose Bautista, Jose Guillen, etc. Sometimes hitters figure it out late. Good luck to Hunter with things

Morris' problem is that he's not unique or special in any way. There are plenty of lefty hitting 1B types in the 26-28 age range who have shown power in the minors to varying degrees but aren't good enough to break through to the majors. Heck the Brewer still have 2 of those types on their roster in Clark and Shane Peterson. Cruz was a RH power hitting corner OF. Bautista played 3B, and was already up in the majors for good at age 25. Jose Guillen was a major leaguer at 21.

Morris' problem is that he's not unique or special in any way. There are plenty of lefty hitting 1B types in the 26-28 age range who have shown power in the minors to varying degrees but aren't good enough to break through to the majors. Heck the Brewer still have 2 of those types on their roster in Clark and Shane Peterson. Cruz was a RH power hitting corner OF. Bautista played 3B, and was already up in the majors for good at age 25. Jose Guillen was a major leaguer at 21.

Yeah, imo Morris needs to show he can either walk, hit for more power, or play a corner OF spot before he deserves a roster spot. Worth keeping around for depth, but I would be very surprised if someone plucked him off waivers.

advocates for the devil

Archived