Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
I doubt this really has any impact on Ramirez at all; more of a direct competitor to Bianchi and the like.

I would say it is probably very far fetched that he could match Ramirez' production next year; at least I sure as heck wouldn't count on it. This guy is probably a 24th/25th man type player.

Far fetched that a guy with an .812 AAA OPS over 287 games can't put up a .725 OPS in the majors? That's assuming Ramirez continues to slide from his .757 OPS in 2014 which is safe assumption considering his age and recent history with guys like Beltran, Konerko, etc. Bianchi's gone by the way. You don't add a competitor for a utility job to your 40 man in October. You can find them by the dozens on minor league deals. Veterans are available on minor league deals too. Besides Jiminez has played a handful of games at 1B but he's primarily a 3B. He's not a utility candidate. He doesn't play middle infield spots.

That's not to say they won't be looking for an established 3B other than Ramirez, but Jiminez provides them with competition for Rogers of nobody else is acquired.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I doubt this really has any impact on Ramirez at all; more of a direct competitor to Bianchi and the like.

I would say it is probably very far fetched that he could match Ramirez' production next year; at least I sure as heck wouldn't count on it. This guy is probably a 24th/25th man type player.

Far fetched that a guy with an .812 AAA OPS over 287 games can't put up a .725 OPS in the majors?

Bianchi put up a .777 OPS in AAA, and couldn't put up a .600 OPS in the majors. It's not that far fetched at all to say someone who's productive at AAA is not automatically going to be productive at the bigs.

Far fetched that a guy with an .812 AAA OPS over 287 games can't put up a .725 OPS in the majors?

Bianchi put up a .777 OPS in AAA, and couldn't put up a .600 OPS in the majors. It's not that far fetched at all to say someone who's productive at AAA is not automatically going to be productive at the bigs.

Also, isn't the PCL league known for ridiculous batting statistics? If so, that has to be taken into consideration.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

the brewers claimed corner infielder luis jimenez from the angels today. it appears that jimenez will have no minor league options entering spring training in 2015, as he was optioned by the angels in spring training in 2012, 2013 and 2014.

the roster stands at 39, with tyler thornburg and jim henderson still on the 60-day disabled list and a score of players waiting to declare free agency.

Sign they don't plan to bring Ramirez back? Hope so. You don't use up 40 man spots for guys you don't think can make your team. Jimenez has solid minor league credentials albeit it in Salt Lake City in AAA. Not far fetched at all that he could post numbers as good as Ramirez can at this stage.

Don't get me wrong -- because I'd hope this move pans out well -- but . . . . Jimenez may have decent upside, but he's also just the type of player they could waive next week if a more solid option comes along.

We're so used to Melvin's knack for turning what some consider chicken (you know what) into chicken soup that the tendency to believe this guy's a potential budding starter or ace bench guy is quite evident. However, it's just as possible that he amounts to AAA depth at best by the start of the season if not well before.

However, it's just as possible that (Jimenez) amounts to AAA depth at best by the start of the season if not well before.

it should be noted that all american league teams passed up the chance to claim jimenez earlier this week, and all national league teams with a record worse than the brewers (many teams) also passed on claiming him. that's not necessarily an indication of how things would play out if the brewers want jimenez to clear outright waivers and play for colorado springs in 2015, but it has to be considered by the brewers' management.

with the claim of catcher juan centeno from the mets, the 40-man roster is full. (rickie weeks, though his option has been declined today, has yet to declare free agency and thus, remains on the 40-man. as mentioned earlier, expect many players to come off the 40-man once free agency is declared.)

it appears that centeno has two minor league options remaining. his contract was purchased by the mets in september 2013 and he was optioned in spring training 2014--with some brief mlb service in 2014.

EDIT: Added link (Mass Haas)

Very... VERY light hitting catcher. Must be good defensively or something.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

i stand corrected. lhp zach duke, lhp tom gorzelanny, 1b lyle overbay, 1b/3b mark reynolds and rhp francisco rodriguez did file for free agency yesterday. that puts the roster at 35. rickie weeks is expected to file for free agency, which puts the roster at 34. jim henderson and tyler thornburg still have to be added back to the 40-man.

Picking up a young catcher sounds smart to me. At the very least it gives us some protection for injury but I think it also gives us some flexibility this off season. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the Brewers traded Estrada now that he is hitting arbitration. With Lucroy bound to play most games why pay millions for someone who will hardly play? Not to mention he deserves a shot at being an everyday catcher. Centeno seems like a good backup plan. (no pun intended)
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Picking up a young catcher sounds smart to me. At the very least it gives us some protection for injury but I think it also gives us some flexibility this off season. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the Brewers traded Estrada now that he is hitting arbitration. With Lucroy bound to play most games why pay millions for someone who will hardly play? Not to mention he deserves a shot at being an everyday catcher. Centeno seems like a good backup plan. (no pun intended)

I'm guessing you meant Martin Maldonado not Marco Estrada. And he will only make about $1M this coming season which is worth it when compared to Centeno offensively.

I'm guessing you meant Martin Maldonado not Marco Estrada. And he will only make about $1M this coming season which is worth it when compared to Centeno offensively.

You guessed right. Don't know why I said Estrada. He very well may be kept but I think his trade value is higher than the value of 111 ab's to the team. I just think player who gets that little work should be someone making league minimum. That assumes of course some team thinks he is starting caliber and are willing to pay for it. Personally I think he is and is kind of wasting away what could be a good career on the bench behind one of the best catchers in the game. Centeno has no power but does take walks and doesn't strike out much plus seems like a good defensive catcher.

You guessed right. Don't know why I said Estrada. He very well may be kept but I think his trade value is higher than the value of 111 ab's to the team. I just think player who gets that little work should be someone making league minimum. That assumes of course some team thinks he is starting caliber and are willing to pay for it. Personally I think he is and is kind of wasting away what could be a good career on the bench behind one of the best catchers in the game. Centeno has no power but does take walks and doesn't strike out much plus seems like a good defensive catcher.

What kind of return would justify trading Maldy? I don't think he will get you much more than a low level prospect or bullpen arm. Maybe if he can show better production nest season we can look to trade him then. For now, I like having the ability to play Lucroy at first and put him behind the plate. He calls a good game and is familiar with Peralta and Fiers from their time spent together in the minors.

Look at what we had at first base this season and Maldonado still only got 111 ab's. I am pretty sure the Brewers are going to upgrade from what we had this season. So why should we think Maldy is going to get more ab's next year? As far as what I think we can get for him, he is a legit starting caliber catcher. In the year he got regular ab's he hit pretty well and has always been regarded as a plus defensive catcher. The league isn't exactly overloaded with catchers who can hit and catch. Especially one under team control for a few more years. I think we can get at least the same return as Aoki got us. Probably more. If you could get another Will Smith type player for the equivalent of a 111 ab's wouldn't you take it?

I would like to trade Maldonado. As I also think he is a valid starting catcher. And I would expect we could get something back - obviously we would target a 3rd and/or 1st base prospect. Picking up this centano seems to replace Martin's role... a high quality defensive backstop.

RHP's Jim Henderson and Tyler Thornburg have been activated from the 60-day DL.

The 40-man stands at 36.

There are 18 pitchers, three catchers, nine infielders, five outfielders, and one utility man (Herrera).

Somehow, RHP Miguel De Los Santos remains Brewers property, but is still on a restricted list, and currently doesn't count against the 40-man.

What kind of return would justify trading Maldy? I don't think he will get you much more than a low level prospect or bullpen arm. Maybe if he can show better production nest season we can look to trade him then. For now, I like having the ability to play Lucroy at first and put him behind the plate. He calls a good game and is familiar with Peralta and Fiers from their time spent together in the minors.

I think we would get more than a low level prospect for Maldy. He is definitely better than a handful of teams starters. If the Brewers were out of it last year, I bet the Dodgers would have ponied up a good prospect to get Maldy. You have to figure if he had more regular at bats, he would hit a little better than his career ops of .650.

The short answer is he could use more time in the upper minors. But what about Yadiel Rivera as the back-up IF and right handed protection for Gennet? 2 of the last 3 years he has posted an OPS over .790 against lefties and has a great defensive reputation. The 1 year he didn't hit that much was spent entirely at Brevard. I wouldn't bet everything on that working out, but to me it seems like a decent option to take a look at in Spring training. Some guys struggle with the limited role at the start of their careers, so I'd be ready to move off that and given him regular time in AAA, but guys like Davis and Gennett have also done well working up from a very limited role to a larger one.

I think we would get more than a low level prospect for Maldy. He is definitely better than a handful of teams starters. If the Brewers were out of it last year, I bet the Dodgers would have ponied up a good prospect to get Maldy. You have to figure if he had more regular at bats, he would hit a little better than his career ops of .650.

Why would we expect that? His larger body of work suggests he isn't going to be much of a hitter.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would we expect that? His larger body of work suggests he isn't going to be much of a hitter.

Obviously he would be one of the better "defensive catchers", but he did post OPS above .700 in 2 out of 3 seasons and at age 28, I don't see any reason with more frequent at bats, why he wouldn't ops close to .700 for a couple of years.

I listed the Dodgers, as I have a buddy that roots for them and he wishes they had Maldy last year. For the Dodgers, Ellis at .577 ops was the highest, and I assume Maldy is a notch above any of those guys on defense. Granted that is hitting in the NL west.

Where would one go to find team stats on what teams got from their catchers in total for a season?

Archived