Brewer Fanatic

40-man roster discussion

DHonks
Does anybody know if these guys can be removed from the 40 man when hurt in the minor leagues or are they protected somehow because they are on the minor league DL?

when the 40-man roster is full, players injured while in the minor leagues can be moved to the major league 60-day disabled list, and thus, removed from the 40-man for those 60 days. however, these players will earn major league service time and the split portion of their contracts that call for major league salary while on the 60-day disabled list.

thus, the brewers save money and keep their service clocks from ticking for the time being.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Irving Falu claimed off waivers by Padres, opens up a spot on the 40-man roster

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/padres-claim-irving-falu.html

Padres Claim Irving Falu From Brewers

By Jeff Todd [June 26, 2014 at 1:23pm CDT]

The Padres have claimed utilityman Irving Falu off waivers from the Brewers, reports MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy (via Twitter). With the move, the club has opened a spot on its 40-man roster.

Falu, 31, saw only 12 hitless plate appearances with Milwaukee this season, and has just 107 career MLB plate appearances. He has spent the vast majority of the past six seasons (including this one) at the Triple-A level, where he owns a lifetime .284/.343/.365 line over 2,671 plate appearances. Falu has spent most of his time as a middle infielder, though he also has a significant number of games under his belt at third base and right field.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Irving Falu claimed off waivers by Padres, opens up a spot on the 40-man roster

What am going to do with my Falu jersey?

I guess it'll go in the closet with my Lalli, Ransom, Izturis, Maysonet, Farris, Feliz Lopez, Josh Wilson, Almonte, Brandon Boggs, Brett Carroll, Jeremy Reed and Inglett jerseys.

Who could they be considering outside of Jeffress? They've talked about bringing up a position player soon, but I don't really see anyone worth adding to the 40 man at this point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Could they be considering adding Bianchi back to the 40 man? Outside of Herrera there really isnt any other IF/Utility guys I know of with Falu gone now

I'm guessing Bianchi as well. He hasn't exactly been lighting up things at Nashville, but he hasn't been bad. Maybe they just feel he's swinging a better bat now.

Or maybe it's Pete Orr. That would be a sad state of affairs.

Could they be considering adding Bianchi back to the 40 man? Outside of Herrera there really isnt any other IF/Utility guys I know of with Falu gone now

I'm guessing Bianchi as well. He hasn't exactly been lighting up things at Nashville, but he hasn't been bad. Maybe they just feel he's swinging a better bat now.

Or maybe it's Pete Orr. That would be a sad state of affairs.

With the two off days next week, I assume the Brewers would drop Figaro back down and bring in a position player. I guess it could be Orr if they really wanted a lefty bat, but then I would think they just bring up Gindl (already on the 40 man), so that Herrera doesn't have any more Adventures in Outfielding. So I guess Bianchi 2.0

please no to bianchi

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Who could they be considering outside of Jeffress? They've talked about bringing up a position player soon, but I don't really see anyone worth adding to the 40 man at this point.

Safe to say, it's not Taylor Green.

With the days off leading to less work for the bullpen and the Toronto series coming up I would imagine an outfielder would be brought up so Braun could DH. Doesn't solve the 40 man question but Gindl has been hot so might be the perfect time to bring him up.

There is only one possibility that makes sense- Yuni

its not an odd year

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

My money is on either Zarraga to the open 40-man spot, or something's going to happen in a trade. None of the guys in triple-a that aren't on the 40-man are dominating with the bat.. There's not really any pitchers that aren't on the 40-man that I would imagine them adding.. Cravy's fresh on the DL and he looked like the most viable pitcher that wasn't on the 40-man already...I'm intrigued by Zarraga yes, but I wouldn't mind seeing a block-buster trade soon.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, so over Bianchi

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

How many injured guys are on the 40 man?

of players optioned and not on the major league disabled list:

johnny hellweg

brooks hall

hiram burgos

add hunter morris to that list.

unfortunately, all have been or will be out with long term injuries (six weeks or longer). if the brewers wish to transfer any of them to the 60-day disabled list to open up a spot on the full 40-man, they'd have to recall them first, pay them a major league salary and have them accrue major league service time.

note that the brewers could've done this when mike fiers was lost for the season last year, but they didn't.

Archived