Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Come And Gone, No Deals

jjgott
So the trade deadline has come and gone and it looks like the Brewers didn't make any deals. I certainly understand that deals can still be done through August, but it's kind of disappointing Melvin couldn't find anyone to take our relievers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a handful of veterans on the Brewer roster that probably clear waivers and can still be traded, or if they are claimed losing them for salary relief alone would be pretty appealing.

Plus, there's plenty of offseason for Melvin to make a trade or two - which he's been known to prefer as it opens the trade market to all of MLB instead of just who's chasing a pennant. The biggest problem Melvin had was the veterans that could have been better trade options this year were either injured or terrible this season.

There wasn't much for trades overall. Way too many GM's overestimating their team and holding on to players they should trade. Phillies should have sold a bunch of guys. The Mets should have traded Parnell and Byrd. I don't think the Royals have any clue anymore. Twins should have traded Morneau. Yankees should have traded some guys. The Cubs held on to some guys they should've traded.

There wasn't much for trades overall.

That's what surprised me, pretty much nothing happened throughout the league. Off the top of my head, this was the least active trade deadline in baseball that i can recall, but maybe my memory of previous years is off.

Considering what the Astros got for Bud Norris and what the Diamondbacks got for Ian Kennedy, I am thrilled Melvin didn't trade any of our SP for peanuts. Axford has enough value to not give away either.

The only player that I would have wanted to go for a lower-tier prospect was Mike Gonzalez, but I guess there just wasn't that much interest.

Considering what the Astros got for Bud Norris and what the Diamondbacks got for Ian Kennedy, I am thrilled Melvin didn't trade any of our SP for peanuts.

Both teams got draft picks for their respective starters. I would've have taken that for Lohse, probably not for Gallardo but definitely for Lohse.

Considering what the Astros got for Bud Norris and what the Diamondbacks got for Ian Kennedy, I am thrilled Melvin didn't trade any of our SP for peanuts.

Both teams got draft picks for their respective starters. I would've have taken that for Lohse, probably not for Gallardo but definitely for Lohse.

No, oh goodness no. Most certainly not with Bruce Seid calling the shots.

Considering what the Astros got for Bud Norris and what the Diamondbacks got for Ian Kennedy, I am thrilled Melvin didn't trade any of our SP for peanuts. Axford has enough value to not give away either.

The only player that I would have wanted to go for a lower-tier prospect was Mike Gonzalez, but I guess there just wasn't that much interest.

I don't have faith in Gonzalez, why would other teams? He seems more like a guy you deal in August basically for a little cash back.

The odds of a draft pick that low in the draft isn't anything close to a good deal for the best pitcher on our staff. The odds are against drafting a player who even gets to the majors let alone provide a sub 4 ERA starting pitcher. I may be in the minority here but I think stock piling draft picks in baseball is over rated. It's just too easy to trade spare parts for minor league players to boost the system. No need to trade viable starter just to get another amateur in the system. Now if we could trade for a top five or ten pick it might be a different story. But the picks that can be traded are not anywhere near that level.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The odds of a draft pick that low in the draft isn't anything close to a good deal for the best pitcher on our staff. The odds are against drafting a player who even gets to the majors let alone provide a sub 4 ERA starting pitcher. I may be in the minority here but I think stock piling draft picks in baseball is over rated. It's just too easy to trade spare parts for minor league players to boost the system. No need to trade viable starter just to get another amateur in the system. Now if we could trade for a top five or ten pick it might be a different story. But the picks that can be traded are not anywhere near that level.

Yeah, I'd rather get a prospect that already looks like he'l be a good contributor at the major league level someday, rather than a draft pick that may or may not pan out. Those teams likely settled by taking those picks. Most teams would rather get the prospects that is already a known commodity, and I would agree. Those are pretty good picks right after the first round, but they aren't top 10 picks as you said.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Surprised nobody wanted Lohse. Or at least badly enough to give Melvin what he needed to trade him. Veteran guy who's been there before, seems like a perfect arm to add to the rotation for a contender. Especially with how well he's been pitching lately.

There wasn't much for trades overall.

That's what surprised me, pretty much nothing happened throughout the league. Off the top of my head, this was the least active trade deadline in baseball that i can recall, but maybe my memory of previous years is off.

I think this is ultimately the effect of the extra Wild Card. More teams think they still have a chance, so they're less likely to make any big moves, yet they know they aren't good enough to absolutely go for it either, so they end up doing nothing. In the long run, this probably puts more importance on the Aug 31st deadline.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

I think your probably correct on interpreting the light trading season on the second wild card. We will have to see if it is just a flash in the pan phenomena or it becomes the new normal. Blocking trades on the waiver wire seems to have gotten less worrisome lately as well, so it is possible that is playing a factor with more teams wanting to take a few more weeks before doubling down.

Surprised nobody wanted Lohse. Or at least badly enough to give Melvin what he needed to trade him. Veteran guy who's been there before, seems like a perfect arm to add to the rotation for a contender. Especially with how well he's been pitching lately.

Melvin wants to contend next year. He's said all along he'd only make deals that make the team stronger in 2014. With Lohse's contract, teams weren't going to offer enough to meet that criteria. If things fall apart next year, Lohse's value will still be there. Lohse wasn't as available as the guys who did move. That's the bottom line.

I'm a little more surprised there wasn't a stronger market for Aoki, or that Melvin wasn't that motivated. He was the one guy brought up where they seemed to have in house replacements. Maybe he figured with Braun gone, he'd wait until winter to see what his market is.

That Gonzalez and Axford didn't move is not a surprise. Neither has been dominant or even close to dominant.

If Gonzalez strings together 6-7 strong outings, I think he'll go in August, but for virtually nothing back.

Melvin wants to contend next year. He's said all along he'd only make deals that make the team stronger in 2014.

Didn't he also say any deal he made would be for two or three years down the road? I don't remember him mentioning anything about 2014.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

with the additional WC spot, the non-waiver deadline should be moved to aug 15.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

He's the best pitcher on our staff now. What if he pulls a Wolf next year and blows up? Then we have an albatross contract on our hands and the deal involving a draft pick looks really good. The chances Lohse is going to continue to be our best pitcher is remote. We're not competing, there's no need for him, why not trade him when you could actually get value?

He's the best pitcher on our staff now. What if he pulls a Wolf next year and blows up? Then we have an albatross contract on our hands and the deal involving a draft pick looks really good. The chances Lohse is going to continue to be our best pitcher is remote. We're not competing, there's no need for him, why not trade him when you could actually get value?

What if he doesn't and we got rid of him for a draft pick? What if he does even better next season and has a higher trade value than now? Even if he does Wolf it Wolf gave us 2 good seasons and we ate one season's worth of contract. That is hardly a franchise crippling event. Everything is a gamble. YOu have to calculate what is too much of one and move on from there. What we do know is the odds of Lohse giving us at least overall average quality production for the next two to three seasons is far greater that the odds a tradable pick ever makes it to the major leagues.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

why not trade him when you could actually get value?

a completely valid question - what were the offers for Lohse that Melvin had to consider? Unless all of the legitimate offers are known, it's kind of pointless to ask why Lohse wasn't traded at the deadline for "value". IMO, Lohse is worth alot more than a compensatory draft pick - or similar packages to what Kennedy and Norris were traded for. To me those trades seem more like salary dumps, for the Dbacks it frees up payroll to go after a waiver deal like Alex Rios if they are still in contention through August. For Houston it basically frees them from any longterm salary commitments of any significance. With Lohse, if the Brewers trade him they need to get maximum value in the form of prospects - this year's deadline didn't appear like the best timing to move him.

It's true Lohse may completely fall apart and the Brewers will be stuck paying him for two more seasons...it's also very possible that his value will be highest over this offseason, when a very questionable list of pitchers hit free agency, and teams would rather get an arm like Lohse at his current contract for two seasons than sign someone like Garza for 4-5 years at $5 million more per season.

Archived