Brewer Fanatic

Yo to the DL

brewmann04

oh well

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Would be nice to see them bring up Jimmy Nelson to replace either Hand or Gorzelanny to see what he can do.

why? both of those guys have been effective starting pitchers...

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Yo might as well just stay on the DL the rest of the year; its not like he has been worth a darn anyways.

I am guessing Thornburg is going to stay in the rotation since he pitched pretty well yesterday; allbeit against the Cubs.

Nelson will almost definitely get a look in September; I would just let him keep going in AAA for now

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd like to see Yo get an extended rest and come back hopefully stronger next year. Starters often have bad years and then bounce back.

Totally agree. Everything should be about next year. Get guys healthy. Evaluate young players.

I think Mark A. and Doug Melvin believe we can compete in 2014. They'll reboot things fresh and hope that Yo, Braun, A-Ram and others can come back and be productive, like in 2012. I wouldn't be surprised if Hart is brought back on a one-year deal for around $4-5 million with incentives.

I'm skeptical that we can be more than a .500 team next year, but there's always hope.

Outside of a historically bad may, the brewers have been a.500'ish team with all of the injuries they've had. If nothing else changes but getting all of the players back healthy I don't see how you couldn't feel this team is a .500 or better team next year

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

So... outside of when they were at full strength & were historically bad, they've been an under-.500 team. That's supposed to instill confidence? And what good is having a .500-ish club, anyway? That's no-man's land.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The fact they've won 14 games with the roster they have in July should. Weren't aram and Braun playing with injuries in May?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

The fact they've won 14 games with the roster they have in July should. Weren't aram and Braun playing with injuries in May?

Lohse was bad then hurt. Peralta was feeling his way. Weeks was awful (1 RBI the entire month). The Brewers won just one game he started. Alex Gonzalez and Yuni were both doing nothing. Lucroy was still in an early season funk.

Just getting healthy, getting something close to average production at 1B, and replacing Weeks with even a semblance of a consistent bat, makes this team easily a .500 or better team, and if you are .500 in July, you are usually in the wild card picture and can add players.

This will be an interesting off-season. A lot could happen or nothing could happen. One more pitcher and this could be a very good team. Or, we could just have a repeat of this year. Aging players makes injuries a lot more likely, so it's hard to count on anybody outside of the young core up the middle.

I think some are right about this team. Think about this:

LF--we got one month out of a healthy Braun

CF--already a career year

RF--another very solid year (And cheap, too!)

3b--never healthy

SS--Career year

2b--shouldn't be Rickie's to lose anymore....been awful since ankle injury

1b--0 games played by starter, backup, or backup-to-the-backup

c--career year?

If some of the young guys hold onto their performance and we get even mild bounceback years from 1b, 2b, 3b, and LF, then this is an NL-leading offense. My boy Gindl is thriving, Schafer is more than competent, and even Khris Davis is getting a look. Bianchi looks a solid bench player, along with Maldonado, Gamel, etc that's a very good bench

Peralta is having a good season despite many lumps, and hopefully will be ready to bust out next year. Hand looks like a legit long-reliever/5th starter. Figaro looks solid. With Yo, Lohse, and Peralta leading the rotation, hopefully 2 of Hand, Estrada (remember him?), Narveson, Gorzy, Thornburg, and Nelson can plug rotation holes. The pen is hard-throwing and nasty.

I think some are right about this team. Think about this:

LF--we got one month out of a healthy Braun

CF--already a career year

RF--another very solid year (And cheap, too!)

3b--never healthy

SS--Career year

2b--shouldn't be Rickie's to lose anymore....been awful since ankle injury

1b--0 games played by starter, backup, or backup-to-the-backup

c--career year?

If some of the young guys hold onto their performance and we get even mild bounceback years from 1b, 2b, 3b, and LF, then this is an NL-leading offense. My boy Gindl is thriving, Schafer is more than competent, and even Khris Davis is getting a look. Bianchi looks a solid bench player, along with Maldonado, Gamel, etc that's a very good bench

Peralta is having a good season despite many lumps, and hopefully will be ready to bust out next year. Hand looks like a legit long-reliever/5th starter. Figaro looks solid. With Yo, Lohse, and Peralta leading the rotation, hopefully 2 of Hand, Estrada (remember him?), Narveson, Gorzy, Thornburg, and Nelson can plug rotation holes. The pen is hard-throwing and nasty.

thank you for spelling it out like that. I really hope it makes the naysayers of next years team rethink their negative outlook

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Not really. It looked like we had some good pitching at the end of last year as well. How did that turn out? Good offense or not, our pitching is still likely to stink again next year and we should probably expect heavy regression out of SS and CF.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Would be nice to see them bring up Jimmy Nelson to replace either Hand or Gorzelanny to see what he can do.

Because we're one of the worst teams in baseball and neither are long term solutions in the starting rotation while Nelson has top of the rotation type stuff?

I like the idea of keeping Gorz out there, but Hand does nothing for me. I think in 10 years he'll just be one of those pitches you struggle to remember while Nelson has a legitimate shot, albeit a long shot, but a shot to be a VERY good pitcher who can get GB's and strike guys out. Of course the chances of this happening are extremely rare, but we have three pitchers in the bigs and AAA who throw in the mid to upper 90's with potentially dominant sliders who induce a ton of GB's. Nice place to start a rotation. Throw in Jungman as a #4 and it could be a nice, cost controlled group of young pitchers for the first time in forever.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived