Brewer Fanatic

RIP George Scott

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

As a 50-year-old lifelong Massachusetts resident who somehow glommed on to the Brewers for life in 1973 at age 10, George Scott, through two trades between the clubs, was a big part of my early baseball fandom.

He died today at age 69, perhaps the Brewers tried to bring him in for his bobblehead day but he was already too sick.

Here is a review of a book I'll need to pick up, learn much about him by giving this link a gander.

Taters!

I'm feeling old as well. RIP Boomer. It was the 73 team that turned me from a closet Oakland fan to a full fledged Brewer backer. Specifically it was 10 game win streak in June that year. Now 2/3 of the big 3 of Dave May, Boomer and my guy, JBriggs are gone. Sad day.

Damn, this one hurts. . .

I got to meet Boomer at a signing a couple of years ago, and then saw him again at Waukesha Sportscards, too.

By then he was really hobbled, and slow-moving with his walker. I think he drove himself to events like that from Mississippi in a big old sedan.

He was a huge personality, and one of the first real stars of those early Brewers teams. He played wearing a big, gaudy necklace, which was cool and outrageous.

A powerful hitter who was also a smooth fielder, and a dynamic personality.

RIP Boomer.

I was too young to see him play myself, but heard plenty of stories from my dad. RIP Boomer, wish that I could have seen you in your prime when you were a reason to come to the ballpark on some very bad teams.

When I first started following the Brewers, George Scott was the best player the team had. The first season I have good memory of was 1975, during which, Scott led the AL in RBIs, and tied for the league lead in home runs. He was also unique because he wore his batting helmet in the field, in those days, the road caps had a gold front, but the team wore blue batting helmets, George wore a helmet with a gold front in the field during road games.

When Scott was traded back to Boston, he said some unpleasant things about Milwaukee, and he was booed HEAVILY when the Red Sox played here. He did a great job while he was here, and then he brought Cecil Cooper here via trade.

Together with Don Money, George Scott was the solid veteran on a new franchise filled with young kids and wannabes, he has a significant place in Brewers history.

I just missed paying attention to his time with the Brewers, but I remember 1977, when he still cast a long (and big!) shadow over the franchise. He was still, at that moment, the best player we had ever had. He's always held a mystique for me. This is very sad news.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I remember watching Boomer as a kid. HRs are cool - and he provided them. His 1975 season, when he hit 36 HR, was awesome (hitting 30+ HR back then was a pretty big deal). I think he lead the league that year.

I didn't realize he won 7 gold gloves - including five straight with Milwaukee.

RIP George. Thanks for the memories.

I will never forget the 75 season when Scott could have easily been the MVP. He led the league in home runs and RBI's while winning a Gold Glove. And, by the way, he wasn't Boomer. He was THE Boomer, a one and only. Plus, IIRC, he coined the term tater for home runs.

RIP Boomer. You were indeed the first Brewer great.

It is not lost on me how awful our first basemen have been this year. They could all stand to watch some footage of George playing the position.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Easily my favorite Brewer as a kid. Dressed as him for Halloween in I believe '74.

That's awesome. Did you have a necklace made of second basemen's teeth?

October 31, 1973

No, no teeth available at the time.

http://my.execpc.com/~silkey/AZC10.JPG

Archived