Brewer Fanatic

Jose Veras to Detroit

jjkoestler

Tigers acquired RHP Jose Veras from the Astros for OF Danry Vasquez and a player to be named later.

Veras, 32, had a cool 2.93 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and 44/14 K/BB ratio in 43 innings this year with Houston and could get a shot at saves in Detroit if Joaquin Benoit has some hiccups. Veras is earning $1.85 million this season and carries a $3.25 million team option for 2014. Vasquez, a 19-year-old from Venezuela, was batting .281/.333/.390 with five home runs and nine steals through 96 games this year for Low-A West Michigan.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Let's see, KRod nets a 5/6 ranked prospect in Baltimore's system.

Veras just landed a 4-6 ranked prospect in Detroit's system.

Seems the price of a RP like Axford/Henderson should be in that range a 5/6th ranked prospect in a team's system.

For Detroit this is a good deal imo, as they didn't lose Castellanos for a Papelbon/Nathan/ who knows? Parnell/Perkins. Closers that I'm sure were commanding Castellanos in return.

Vasquez doen't appear to be a quick rising prospect to majors player. I'm sure Detroit looked at him as being a guy that they'd eventually lose to a Rule 5 draft.

I liked Detroit as a trade partner, but this helps the Brewers. One more relief pitcher off the market, should help up the price for the 2-3 we have left to trade.

not sure how it helps the brewers. one more trade partner down added with downs getting traded. the astros got a top prospect too. As relievers fall off of the market it may be harder to get value market value as there are fewer and fewer trade partners.

There were reports of Brewers scouts watching Arizona and LA Dodgers prospects the last few days, but no reports of watching Tigers prospects. The Tigers didn't match up very well prospect-wise with what you could expect for a reliever; the Dodgers and Diamondbacks are much better fits for the Brewers needs. Now they pit those two divisional rivals up against each other which can drive up the price. Axford for a David Holmberg or Magill/Reed/Stripling would be much better than Vasquez.

I liked Detroit as a trade partner, but this helps the Brewers. One more relief pitcher off the market, should help up the price for the 2-3 we have left to trade.

not sure how it helps the brewers. one more trade partner down added with downs getting traded. the astros got a top prospect too. As relievers fall off of the market it may be harder to get value market value as there are fewer and fewer trade partners.

It helps because the demand for middle relief pitchers is still pretty strong - as in, multiple teams are still seeking them. While the supply is now smaller. Hence, the asking price just went up a little bit. Teams have to now react to what other teams have done. As long as there are still multiple teams looking for relief help (and there are), the cost should continue to rise.

As others have stated, this can be especially true if we can get team division teams to compete against each other. I also think that Axford, with his past closers experience (and success) could fetch a lot more than someone like Veras.

Archived