Brewer Fanatic

The "Huge Contracts are Really a Bad Idea" Thread

splitterpfj
I don't know the NHL rules but I know Ryan Suter signed a 13 yr. $98MM contract in July, 2012. Was the 7 year rule later or are there ways around it?

yes, he signed his contract oin the old CBA, which expired in September 2012. The new CBA, which was why there was a shortened NHL season in 2013, was ratified in January 2013 which limits contract lengths to 7 years. the reason for this was teams were using extra long contracts to circumvent the cap hits on huge contracts, but actually only paying 500k - $1/mil on the final years. example, Kovulchuk signed a 10 year deal/100 mil contract, but the final 3 years were going to pay him 1 mil a year, which lowered the avg cap hit from, which during those years he could retire and remove the caphit on the franchise. so instead of being the avg of 7yr/97 mil it was 10yr/100 mil as the cap hit on the franchise, which I think at that time the salary cap was around 64 million?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I have to say the Phillies are absolutely stupid when it comes to these types of deals. Big Market teams should take there cues from small market teams. I do view the added room for payroll compared to a small market to a large market as an advantage.

Big Market teams should take advantage of the stupid big market teams by trading there players over 30 who are signed to long term deals to another big market team looking to get good quick and request their top prospect in return and just eat 30-50 million of the players salary. There's a stupid big market team like this every off-season. This would allow the team who's shedding payroll but adding a top prospect to not have to pay for a players declining years, and use that money to do what small market's do, which is offer the prospect a long term deal after his first 2 pre arby years, and sign him through his prime, then let him go at the end of his contract and get the 1st rounder in the next draft or trade him in his last year. If a Big Market team did this they would have no more than a 115 million payroll and they would be a young team, and pretty damn good.

Teams get so attracted to these franchise players when they shouldn't and they should just trade them for a top prospect or let them go and take the first rounder. It's like these teams are afraid of pissing off the fan base by trading a franchise player, and lose track of the real goal, which is winning. The big market might have unlimited money, but there's still only 25 roster spots and you aren't going to sit or demote a player making 10-25 million a year no matter what for many reasons.

Yes in a year or two I'd trade Ryan Braun. I think he's going to rebound this coming year and come very close to MVP and the year after. Just imagine the haul the Brewers could get for him after a year or two like that. It would be perfect timing.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived