Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Fri. 7/26

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin struggles against Clinton

by Jim Oskola, Post-Crescent Media

GRAND CHUTE — In the three games Wisconsin played in Dayton, Ohio, against the Dragons and the first game of the series against Clinton, the Timber Rattlers had little trouble putting runs on the board.

The Timber Rattlers scored 30 runs in those four games but, in the last two games of the three-game set against the LumberKings at Fox Cities Stadium, runs were hard to come by.

The Timber Rattlers scored just one run for the second game in a row, falling to the LumberKings 3-1.

“The first guy, (Tyler) Pike, has been pitching good all season,” said Timber Rattlers outfielder Victor Roache, who went one-for-four against a trio of Clinton pitchers. “He locates the ball well. He’s a lefty so he kind of stays away from righties. He pounds the zone low and away. He didn’t give guys many pitches today and, the ones he did give, we were missing.”

Pike started the game with a 2.27 ERA and for his last seven starts has allowed two or fewer runs. After Friday’s start against the Rattlers, opposing batters have just 17 hits in Pike’s last six starts.

“He had a very good changeup and he wasn’t giving you much to hit,” said Rattlers catcher Tyler Roberts, who was batting .333 in his last 10 games. “You had one pitch an AB to get it done. Sometimes you get overanxious and swing at balls out of the zone. Tonight, we swung the bats well. We just had no luck.”

Once Pike completed his six innings, things didn’t get any easier with reliever Richard Vargas throwing mid-90s fastballs for two innings.

“He throws hard,” Roache said. “You’ve really got to get your timing down with him.”

Roache has been the Rattlers’ hottest hitter in the 10 games prior to Friday’s game, going 15-for-41 with five home runs and 14 RBI. That stretch has seen Roache’s batting average climb to .242.

“I think timing is the biggest thing,” said Roache about his hot bat. “ Timing and confidence, for sure. I think timing is the biggest thing. I made a few swing adjustments that allowed me to be more on time and get my foot down. I’m just seeing the ball better and I think my pitch recognition has been better.”

It has come about through a lot of hard work with hitting coach Dusty Rhodes.

“Me and Dusty have been working hard since the beginning of the season,” Roache said. “Through the struggles, I never stopped. Even when I’m swinging good, I’m still in there. I just try to get in there as much as I can.

“My teammates Chris McFarland and Alfredo (Rodriguez) helped me out a lot. They pointed out a few things. I made the adjustments. I talked to my dad a lot, my hitting coach back home. Just collectively, all those guys helped me get back on track.”

While Roache has not been struggling, Rattlers starting pitcher Tyler Wagner had trouble finding the strike zone, with just 40 of his 80 pitches being strikes.

“Nothing was really bothering him,” Roberts said. “He just didn’t have a feel for any of his pitches. He fell behind and he started pressing. Then he started to guide the ball instead of just kick, rock and firing. He’s a sinker-ball pitcher so it’s good he was missing down but too many times everything was down. He just couldn’t find it.

“Tonight was one of those nights. Hang with him.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars Hold On to Beat Smokies

By Alex Cohen / Huntsville Stars

In a game where they led by four runs at one point and then three runs on two separate occasions, the Huntsville Stars held on for a 9-8 victory against the Tennessee Smokies on Friday night at Joe Davis Stadium.

Much like the previous night, the Stars got off to their early lead in the first inning against the Smokies. Against starting pitcher A.J. Morris, Huntsville broke out to a 4-0 advantage led by an RBI single from first baseman Jason Rogers and a two-run single from second baseman Eric Patterson. The other run of the inning came via an error from Smokies third baseman Christian Villanueva.

However, Villanueva would be able to make up for his earlier miscue. In the top of the second inning, his solo homer against Stars starting pitcher Ariel Pena put the Smokies on the board. Later in the inning, Tennessee catcher Rafael Lopez hit a two-run homer well over the right-field wall to cut the Stars lead to one.

After the Stars got a two-run homer of their own from outfielder Brock Kjeldgaard in the third inning to push their lead back up to three, a solo homer from Smokies first basemen Justin Bour and a sacrifice fly from pinch-hitter Nate Samson made the score 6-5 after just four frames.

One inning later, Stars catcher Shawn Zarraga began putting the finishing touches on a big night at the plate. Already 2-for-2 with two singles, the 24-year-old catcher came through with a two-run double against Smokies reliever Yepier Castillo to put the Stars on top by a score of 8-5.

Unfortunately for the Stars, the Smokies would not go down without a fight. With a pair of RBI doubles from Lopez and second basemen Airesmendy Alcantara as well as an RBI single by outfielder Matt Szczur, Tennessee tacked on three runs in the sixth inning off Pena to tie the game at 8-8.

Pena earned a no-decision after giving up a season-high eight runs on eight hits in 5.1 innings of work.

The score remained tied until the bottom of the seventh inning where Zarraga struck again. After Kjeldgaard drew a walk against Smokies reliever Kevin Rhoderick to begin the frame and then advanced to second on a sac bunt from Patterson, Zarraga delivered an RBI single that ultimately plated the game-winning run.

For Zarraga, his 4-for-4 night at the plate marks the fifth Stars player to have four hits in a game this season. He also reached base five times for the game, joining outfielder Chadwin Stang as the only Stars player to do that this season. Rogers and third baseman Mike Walker each had two hits as well.

Aside from Pena on the pitching side of things, righty Kevin Shackelford improved to 1-0 on the year with 1.2 innings of scoreless relief. Closer Greg Holle ensured the win for Shackelford and the Stars with two innings of hitless baseball for his team-leading 10th save of the season.

The Stars will play game rubbermatch of a five-game series at Joe Davis Stadium against the Tennessee Smokies on Saturday. Huntsville will send RHP Brooks Hall (0-3, 5.76 ERA) to the bump to try to win the series while Tennessee will counter with RHP Kyle Hendricks (9-3, 1.91 ERA). First pitch is 6:43 PM.

Saturday will be the last time the Stars and Smokies play each other this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers Win Helena Home Run Derby

Teams combine for eight homers as Helena ends up on top

By Zac Vierra / Helena Brewers

The Major League Home Run Berby was last week at Citi Field in New York, but the Brewers and the Mustangs provided the Pioneer League's version of the derby in Kindrick Legion Field in Helena on Friday night.

The teams combined to smash eight dingers as Helena out-homered Billings 5-3. The Brewers won on the scoreboard too, beating the Mustangs in the final game of the series 9-7.

It was a wild night in which the first 12 runs of the game were scored on homers and it seemed as if teams the teams were simply playing a game of wiffle ball in the backyard.

"I've never seen eight home runs in a game," said Helena manager Tony Diggs. "I guess the batters were locked in."

The Mustangs got the derby started in the third inning when Jonathan Reynoso smashed a two-run bomb to left off Barrett Astin to make it 2-0.

Renaldo Jenkins would get a run back in the bottom of the frame when he hit a solo shot to left. It was the first pro homer of his career and it extended his hitting streak to eight games.

The Brewers broke the game open with the long ball in fourth inning. After Michael Ratterree extended his hitting streak to 16 games with a bloop single, Adam Giacalone hit a fly ball to left center that kept drifting until in hit the top of the scoreboard in left-center for a two-run shot.

After Jose Guzman got two outs, Angel Ortega would reach on an infield single. Taylor Brennan would then crush a two-run bomb to the left of the scoreboard to make it a 5-3 game.

The fun would continue on the next pitch as Jenkins pulled his second homer of the game to left for a solo shot.

"The last few times he has been in the lineup he has swung the bat well," said Diggs. "A guy like that who is locked in you know it is going to happen eventually so you just keep letting him swing. I don't think he would be the one to tell you he would hit two home runs in a game but that's what happens when you are locked in and you get your pitch, it goes over the fence."

The Mustangs continued the act in the top of the fifth as Phillip Ervin hit a three-run shot to left, his third homer in two days and the Helena advantage was cut to 6-5.

Helena would strike back with yet another homer in the fifth as Michael Turay pulled a dinger to left for a solo shot.

After the first 12 runs scored when the ball left the ballpark, the 13th run of the contest would come on a wild pitch when Ratterree scored to make it 8-5 in the bottom of the fifth.

But the teams would quickly get back to hitting balls over the fence when Gabriel Rosa hit a solo homer to leadoff the sixth inning.

In the bottom of the sixth the Brewers did something strange: they scored without having the ball leave the infield. After hitting homers in his previous two at-bats, Jenkins (above) laid down a bunt and reached to start the rally. He then stole second and would score on a wild throw by the shortstop on a grounder to make it a 9-6 game.

"That's a typical speedster play, 'I hit a home run now let me bunt,'" said Diggs. "It was a well executed bunt too so hat's off to him for a good game."

From then on the Brewers would receive some solid pitching as Estevenson Encarnacion allowed one run in the seventh and eighth and Andy Hillis pitched a clean ninth inning for his fourth save of the season.

"Encarnacion comes in does a good job, gives up a run but he closed it down in a position where we could have given up a couple more runs, Hillis comes in has a 1-2-3 ninth and that's what you like to see from the back end of the bullpen," said Diggs.

Missoula will come to town on Saturday night for the final three games of the first half. It will be the first time the Osprey has played in Helena this season. First pitch is at 7:05 (8:05 Central).

Helena Site Photo of Renaldo Jenkins by Seth Eikomstead

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/9/8/0/54917980/cuts/2_Renaldo_Jenkins_stealing_c5wwmvdm_idgbhdhn.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers finish in front after home run derby at Kindrick

By Amber Kuehn, Helena Independent Record

What began as a pitchers’ duel quickly turned into a home run derby Friday night at Kindrick Legion Field.

The Helena Brewers and Billings Mustangs combined for eight home runs as seven players went deep and Helena held on for a 9-7 victory over Billings one day after clinching the Pioneer League North Division first-half title.

Everything seemed to be sailing out of the park, as the first 12 runs of the game were all plated via the longball. Brewers second baseman Renaldo Jenkins hit his first professional home run in the third to put the hosts on the board and struck another an inning later as part of a three-home run frame for Helena. Mustangs starting pitcher Jose Guzman had given up just three bombs all year coming into the game.

Helena would finish with a season-high five homers, while Billings knocked the ball out of the park three times.

“Honestly, I’ve never seen eight home runs in a game before in my life,” Brewers skipper Tony Diggs said, shaking his head. “I guess the batters were locked in.

“You’ve heard the analogy that hitting is contagious — well, it is.”

Twenty-four hours after pounding out 17 hits — which tied a season high — the Brewers brought their big lumber.

Following Jenkins’ bomb, which trimmed Billings’ lead to 2-1, Adam Giacalone showed some power with a go-ahead, two-run homer of his own that hit the top of the scoreboard in left-center field. Not wanting to be outdone, third baseman Taylor Brennan joined the party with another two-run shot in the inning, and Jenkins launched his second long ball of the night on the very next pitch. A visibly frustrated Guzman hung his head and kicked at the dirt.

But Billings wasn’t about to go away. Phillip Ervin, fresh off a 4-for-4 night, smashed a three-run bomb in the fifth to trim Helena’s lead to a run, 6-5. It was the Cincinnati Reds’ first-round pick’s third homer in two games.

Brewers catcher Michael Turay answered with — you guessed it — another home run in the home half of the inning to give Helena some extra cushion, and Michael Ratterree would later come home on a wild pitch to make it 8-5 — the first time a run was plated without a ball leaving the park.

Jonathan Reynoso and Gabriel Rosa also went yard for the Mustangs.

It was a career night for Jenkins, who batted in the No. 9 spot in the lineup. The 20-year-old infielder extended his hitting streak to eight games with a 3-for-4 performance which included a pair of solo shots, a bunt base hit and a stolen base.

“I just give all the glory to God. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn't even be here,” said Jenkins, who finished out the 2012 season in Helena. “This is definitely a blessing, to have a career night, but we got the win and that’s what’s most important.”

Jenkins credited hitting coach Chuckie Caufield for helping him to come on strong as of late after a little bad luck at the plate early on this season. With the way Jenkins has been playing lately, Diggs said it’s a no-doubter to have him in the lineup.

“The last few times he’s been in the lineup he swung the bat well,” Diggs said. “... Hats off to him tonight for a good game.”

Taylor Williams got the win on the mound for Helena, despite giving up four runs on four hits through 2 2/3 innings. Guzman (2-4) suffered the loss for Billings, while fellow starter Barrett Astin went three frames for Helena, getting tagged for two runs on two hits —only one of which was earned. Both starters began the game dealing, with two scoreless innings, before the laser show began.

“The pitching has gone through a bit of a funk,” Diggs admitted, but added that Estevenson Encarnacion and Andy Hillis did solid work in the final frames.

In the last 3 1/3, neither pitcher gave up a hit and Billings plated just one run. Hillis earned his fourth save of the season with a 1-2-3 ninth.

Giacalone and Ratterree both turned in 2-for-4 performances at the plate, as Ratterree extended his hit streak to 16 games with a bloop single in the fourth frame. That is halfway to the Pioneer League record of batting safely in 32 straight games, held by Chris Valaika.

Helena will open a three-game set against Missoula tonight at Kindrick Legion Field. Zach Quintana is expected to start for the Brewers against fellow right-hander Adam Miller.

NOTES: Brewers right-handed reliever Chris Razo was promoted to Single-A Wisconsin on Friday after a superb season. Razo led the Pioneer League with five wins this year, all of which came out of the bullpen. He had a 1.59 ERA through seven games with Helena. ... Billings second baseman Ty Washington saw his 10-game hit streak come to an end with an 0-for-5 night, his first of the season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers claim first-half title outright

Helena wraps up Pioneer League North Division, playoff berth

By Josh Jackson / MiLB.com

This season, if it hasn't been one thing for the Helena Brewers, it's been another.

In a good way.

A night after a loss by Great Falls assured Helena of a playoff berth, the Brewers locked up the Pioneer League North Division first-half title outright with a 9-7 victory over Billings on Friday.

"Anytime you get to go to the playoffs, it's great. To do it in the first half and know you're going to be there is always a plus," said Brewers manager Tony Diggs, who began his eight-year playing career with Helena in 1989. "It was good last night, even though it wasn't the conventional way in."

The Brewers improved to 21-14 after hitting five home runs -- two by Renaldo Jenkins -- in the victory. They rank fifth in the eight-team league in that category, and the longball has not been a primary focus, Diggs said.

"The keys for us have been solid pitching and solid defense. There've been days with letdowns, but the offense always seems to pick up the pace," he added. "The last few nights, we've been driving in runs, but the pitching has been lax. But when it's going good in all three parts of the game, if one goes lax, the others can pick you up."

Of course, Diggs would like to see everything working at the same time as the postseason approaches.

"In the second half, we're going to focus on consistency, playing the game the way it's supposed to be played," he said. "We want to see the players improve. That's how it is in player development -- you don't want to see anybody breaking down walls. What you want to see is guys improving every day and you want to see the improvement they make over the course of the season."

Michael Ratterree singled twice and scored twice to extend his hitting streak to 16 games, while Adam Giacalone went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer to raise his average to .465.

For Diggs, clinching a trip to the playoffs with the team with which he started his career 24 years ago is a bonus.

"The fact that the guys are playing well is really kudos to them. It's easy for me to write the lineup and tell them to execute plays every day," he said. "But it is really special for me to be back here. I've seen a lot of new faces and I've seen a lot of old faces."

Michael Ratterree is tied for the Pioneer League lead with 32 RBIs. (Photo via Helena Brewers)

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/3/0/6/54923306/cuts/Ratterree480_9q6zrdgt_nlbx3m1u.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

He's coming off two consecutive scoreless inning-long appearances (two walks in each), but it's been a tough transition for LHP Daniel Meadows to the sidearm mode.

Combined with first Huntsville and now Brevard, only 22 hits in 31 innings. However, 40 walks, 10 HBP, seven wild pitches during that 31 inning span. He's done well just to maintain the 5.23 ERA.

I pumped up both Jimmy Nelson and Brent Suter in pre-game tweets. Will have to return to my usual less-frequent tweet mode.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Willing to wait until 2014 to pass any real judgement, especially of course on high school pick Devin Williams, but the inabilty of college arms Barrett Astin, Taylor Williams and Josh Uhen to impress against mostly younger rookie leaguers as top five picks is a bit disconcerting. Wow us in Wisconsin next spring, please.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: AZL Dodgers 6, @AZL Brewers 5

AZL Brewers Box Score

Just-turned 18-year-old SS Tucker Neuhaus is feeling it, .932 OPS in his last ten games, double and two singles here.

CF Edgardo Rivera stole four bases in as many attempts (once as part of a double steal). There was a lot of activity, good and bad, on the A-Crew basepaths, as the log will reveal to you below.

Clint Coulter (knee) made his 2nd appearance in Maryvale, and good to see both have been behind the plate, not just as a DH. He's rusty at the plate, 0-for-5 (one BB, three K's) in the two games.

Venezuelan RHP Jorge Ortega got the start, he's only allowed four walks in 33.2 innings and was likewise a control pitcher in his very young two DSL seasons. But his hit, K, and ground ball rates don't supplement that enough to get too excited at this time.

AZL Brewers Game Log

Eric Arnett squeezed an awful lot into his one inning, everything from a HBP to a wild pitch. He may have been unlucky on a few of those several groundballs.

AZL Dodgers Top of the 6th

Pitching Change: Eric Arnett replaces Jorge Ortega.

Cody Bellinger singles on a ground ball to right fielder Eric Williams.

Julian Leon hit by pitch. Cody Bellinger to 2nd.

Reymundo Torres grounds out, pitcher Eric Arnett to first baseman David Denson. Cody Bellinger to 3rd. Julian Leon to 2nd.

Ryan Scott singles on a ground ball to right fielder Eric Williams. Cody Bellinger scores. Julian Leon to 3rd.

Cristian Gomez singles on a ground ball to right fielder Eric Williams. Julian Leon scores. Ryan Scott to 2nd.

Melvin Santana grounds into a force out, shortstop Steven Halcomb to second baseman Francisco Castillo. Ryan Scott to 3rd. Cristian Gomez out at 2nd. Melvin Santana to 1st.

Adam Law singles on a ground ball to right fielder Eric Williams. Ryan Scott scores. Melvin Santana to 2nd.

With Theo Alexander batting, wild pitch by Eric Arnett, Melvin Santana to 3rd. Adam Law to 2nd.

Theo Alexander strikes out swinging.

Welcome back, Eric. Never been through it, but the rehab process after major knee surgery can't be fun. Good luck going forward.

I have a 30-40 minute window here as I begin this server migration at work so I'll cram in as much prospecting as I can.

Cubs' Bryant clubs first pro homer

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Prospect Hot Sheet (July 26): Kyle Zimmer Pulls A 180 On His Season

4. Phillip Ervin, rf, Reds

Team: Rookie-level Billings (Pioneer)

Why He’s Here: .500/.556/1.167 (12-for-24), 10 R, 4 2B, 4 HR, 9 RBIs, 3 BB, 4 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: You have to go back to Ryan Wagner in 2003 to find a Reds first-rounder who didn’t go on to carve out a regular big league job, and you have to go back to Chris Gruler in 2002 to find one who didn’t make the big leagues. High school arms Robert Stephenson (2011) and Nick Travieso (2012) are climbing the minor league ladder on schedule. Ervin is doing his best to show he won’t be ending that streak—he ranks in the top five in the Pioneer League in home runs (six), steals (10) and OPS (.980).

IN THE TEAM PHOTO

Javier Baez, ss, Cubs: Promoted to Double-A Tennessee in the beginning of July, Baez justified that promotion with an explosive offensive week. He drilled five home runs, including four over a span of three games, tallied three doubles and drove in 10 runs while batting .281 in 32 at-bats. Plate discipline continues to be an issue—he had zero walks and more strikeouts (11) than hits (9)—but the the 20-year-old is batting .266/.324/.550 with 25 homers this season.
Austin Meadows, cf, Pirates: The ninth pick in this year’s draft, Meadows connected for his first two pro home runs this week in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, a tough assignment for a young hitter. The 18-year-old from Loganville, Ga., went 10-for-25 (.400) with two homers, three doubles, a triple and four walks in six games. The Pirates could not have hoped for a better start.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Prospect Hot Sheet Chat With Jim Shonerd

Mike (Cincinnati): A bit surprised that Seth Mejias-Brean didn't make the cut after hitting 500/.593/1.091 with 6 extra-base hits including 3 home runs and 5 walks. He is having an incredible July, what is the word on him?

Jim Shonerd: This was a really, really strong week for both pitchers and hitters. Ervin and Barnes would’ve been No. 1 some weeks, but this week they’re down at 4 and 5. Mejias-Brean was a tough one to cut, but being a 22-year-old in low A does work against him. Now, he’s got four homers in his last seven games. Is this legit or just a hot streak? That’s the question. He only had three all year through mid-July. It’s not surprising that his 2013 power numbers have fallen off given his move from an offense-happy environment in Billings last year to Dayton this year, but he’ll have to keep showing more respectable power than he did through the season’s first 80+ games. (He was slugging .387 thru July 17, before this barrage began)

brad (catawissa pa): do you see the pirates letting mcguire or meadows play in the New York-Penn League before the season is up?

Jim Shonerd: I can see them letting those guys get their feet wet at that level, sort of as a way to set them up for an assignment to low Class A next year.

Timmer (Ithaca, NY): Kris Bryant is off to a "not-so-hot sheet" start. Does the fact that he's hit several prodigious warning track outs suggest that his collegiate power won't translate to the wood bats in the pros?

Jim Shonerd: Seen a few questions in the queue from people worried about Bryant (2-for-18 as a pro). In a word: don’t. Don’t go overboard getting too worried (or too excited) about short-season and rookie-ball stats. (This applies to my earlier answer about Romero as well. He’s been impressive, but let’s not anoint him yet.) Always have some grains of salt handy.

- Plato

- Plato

I'm out until tomorrow evening, have a great weekend!

- Plato

- Plato

Archived