Brewer Fanatic

Soriano To The Yankees

Of the estimated $24.5 million Soriano is owed through the end of next season, the Cubs are going to pick up about $17.7 million and the Yankees will cover the remaining $6.8 million, sources said. Soriano is scheduled to make $18 million next season, $5 million of which will be paid by the Yankees, the sources said.

Major League Baseball had to approve the dollar exchange for the trade to go through. The Cubs also will get a lower-tier pitching prospect in the trade, sources told ESPN.

I also saw this tweet

Alfonso Soriano gives the Yankees 9 players making $15 million or more this season. All other AL teams have 12 combined.

I for one, will be doing Soriano hops today over not having to see him golf home runs anymore.

What a moronic contract that was. Terrible defender with a bad attitude, inconsistent offensive production - but paid like a superstar player. At least the Cubs are still paying him most of his contract to play for another team. That makes me kinda happy.

I don't think Soriano has ever been described as having a "bad attitude" - he's known for occasionally loafing on the field, but by all indications he's a good clubhouse guy that enjoys the nightlife while keeping his nose clean. He's dealt with leg issues ever since he signed that contract with the Cubs. Remember the Cubs initially saying he was going to be their centerfielder? I think he signed that deal coming off a 40/40 season for a bad Nationals team, and he was never, ever the same type of player from the moment the ink dried because he couldn't run anymore. Wouldn't be shocked if he had a little "nutritional help" during that contract year.

Soriano's contract was among the worst of the bad contracts dished out by Hendry around the time the Cubs organization was being sold. Sam Zell basically gave him a blank checkbook to try and improve the on-field value of the team for perspective buyers.

The biggest news coming from the Cubs is that they finally got approval for the Wrigley renovations, which will lead to an increased revenue stream. They are a few seasons away from having a roster full of young talent, a refurbished stadium capable of generating more money, and a much better TV contract (rumors swirling the Ricketts are simply going to buy their own network for the Cubs). I don't think it will be too long before the Cubs organization is looking really healthy at all levels, something that hasn't been the case for a very long time.

Contracts were insane that offseason. Soriano's wasn't even the worst. At least he had some value which is more than you can say for Gary Matthews Jr. Heck, I'd probably rather have Soriano than Carlos Lee, even with hindsight.

Archived