Brewer Fanatic

An ironic Monday on the web....

DHonks
Anyone else pick up on the irony that Ryan Braun was blasted for being suspended for steroids (and his lying about them) but Francisco Rodriguez was being praised for his prowess and contributions. One might be a hypocritical scumbag, but the other has had multiple incidents of domestic violence and only escaped prosecution because the victim was removed from the country (why wasn't the case re-opened when he returned in May??). Seeing as I (reluctantly) welcomed back K-Rod, I will also welcome back Braun as his crime pales in comparison.

Anyone else pick up on the irony that Ryan Braun was blasted for being suspended for steroids (and his lying about them) but Francisco Rodriguez was being praised for his prowess and contributions. One might be a hypocritical scumbag, but the other has had multiple incidents of domestic violence and only escaped prosecution because the victim was removed from the country (why wasn't the case re-opened when he returned in May??). Seeing as I (reluctantly) welcomed back K-Rod, I will also welcome back Braun as his crime pales in comparison.

I agree. I heard someone call into 1250 and say he is a father of 3 (which i happen to be too) and after what Braun did, this guy is really going to question the atmosphere he is bringing his kids to. He threw away all their Braun gear, etc.

Oh, so let me get this straight, Yo driving drunk, Krod beating his fiancé - those things don't cause concern, but Braun does. Ah ok. Gotcha. Because as a father, I would expect you to show concern over the crimes which did or can physically hurt others. But glad Brauns lying/drug taking sent you over the edge. I really hope you are not a football fan.

Thank you -- that irony did cross my mind today. I guess the disconnect is that, as sports fans, we feel more secure condemning people for crimes against the sport than for crimes against the law. That's a reasonable caution in theory, but at least in this instance I think I have better information about how serious Rodriguez's transgressions are than I have about Braun's transgressions. Also, sports fans are mostly guys, and as a group we maybe aren't as conscious about violence against women as we should be, although I think that's getting better.

Yeah, what Braun did isn't even close to the worst thing two other Brewers did in the past 10 or so months. I think drunk driving is one of the dumbest, most reckless things a person can do and when I was growing up my dad taught me and my brothers one of the absolute worst things you can do is a hit a woman. Doesn't matter if she's throwing stuff at you or is punching you or whatever, you never hit a woman.

guys, thanks for taking my post the right way. I was figuring that someone would find fault in my logic and ridicule my comments. I do not endorse what Braun did. But I think we (American sports fans) have our priorities out of whack if ESPN is trying to push the crusade against PEDs in baseball (while ignoring other sports) instead of the bigger problems that are occurring. K-Rod should have been declared ineligible to play until his legal proceedings were cleared up. If guilty he should have faced further penalty. Yo should have gotten at least a 40 game suspension.

I'll be honest, I completely forgot about Krod and his baggage

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

guys, thanks for taking my post the right way. I was figuring that someone would find fault in my logic and ridicule my comments. I do not endorse what Braun did. But I think we (American sports fans) have our priorities out of whack if ESPN is trying to push the crusade against PEDs in baseball (while ignoring other sports) instead of the bigger problems that are occurring. K-Rod should have been declared ineligible to play until his legal proceedings were cleared up. If guilty he should have faced further penalty. Yo should have gotten at least a 40 game suspension.

I agree with the larger idea behind your original post, but would disagree with you on declaring guys ineligible to play until legal proceedings are cleared up. CBA issues with doing that aside, I still want to see "innocent until proven guilty" as the standard by which we, as a society, live by in all aspects. Now, that being said, if KRod did do as alleged (and privately I think he's guilty as heck) than yeah, after he's found guilty make that subject to some MLB discipline as well because it is way worse than Braun's actions.

I don't really live by innocent until proven guilty, a court of law sure. We all have brains and can make our decision regarding the character of a person and if they are a class act or not. I don't look up to athletes or really want my kids to either but once a certain line is crossed then I have no respect for them. K-Rod falls into that category.

I posted this in the trade thread.

“We appreciate Francisco’s character and performance as a member of the Brewers,” said Melvin.

Kind of a poor choice of words, no?

It is kind of weird that the NFL comes down so hard on criminal issues like DUI's yet baseball doesn't even bat an eye. A DUI is practically an automatic suspension for NFL players but their is virtually no discipline in MLB for off the field issues (Other then PED's obviously).

I posted this on the Braun page on Tuesday and am re-posting it because I completely agree with you Dhonks:

This right here is worth your time. From a Dodger blog:

http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/2013/07/23/nothings-ever-as-simple-as-it-seems-when-it-comes-to-ped-suspensions/

Bottom line...Braun did something that is against the rules and continually lied about it. He should be suspended and accept the punishment for doing so. However, the media crushing Braun is absolutely embarrassing. The ingestion of PEDs or whatever he did is not even close to the same level of what actual criminals in baseball do and no punishment is ever levied by MLB. Within the past 12 months alone, MLB looked away as current Brewer K-Rod has a domestic violence charge and current Brewer Yovani Gallardo has a DUI. Where was this outrage? Where was the demands for lifetime suspensions for potentially endangering the lives of numerous individuals? I'm not defending Ryan Braun, I am attacking the unfathomable self-righteousness of media members like Jeff Passan, Jon Morosi, etc...

The coverage of this is disgusting.

This video from LOLBrewers is pretty spot on. You can practically see the blood dripping from the mouths of some of these people: (warning, language):

Ryan Braun is the Worst Person Ever: http://lolbrewers.tumblr.com/post/56474875103/ryan-braun-is-the-worst-person-ever#_=_

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The difference is Braun's actions have an effect on the game, KRod's actions did not. Ditto for Yo's DUI. We can peg these in whatever order of morality we want, but that's the difference. Pete Rose is bannedfrom the HOF for gambling? Why? It tarnished the game. Braun and other PED users are in that same boat.

I'm not all that interested in trying to figur out the personal lives of athletes, as I have no idea how any of them are really like. What transgressions they may or may not have done, whther they got caught doing it or not. That's all personal business. Braun's actions have to do with baseball, not his personal life.

With all that said, sure, I get the irony. People are more upset about Braun than KRod. I can only speak for myself as to why Braun bothers me more.

The difference is Braun's actions have an effect on the game, KRod's actions did not. Ditto for Yo's DUI.

What if Yo hit and killed somebody and got charged with something like intoxication manslaughter? Yes, Braun's actions may have had a tiny effect on the game but who is he really endangering? K-Rod (allegedly) beat a woman, if he did do it he should be in jail. Yo drove drunk, he endangered the lives of everyone driving near him that night. He should be in jail. Braun took PED's, in the grand scheme of things, big deal what Braun did compared to K-Rod and Yo.

Your original post is one of the major reasons why the whole Braun fiasco hasn't bothered me that much. A guy tried to get an advantage in his training by taking something slightly across the arbitrary line his union and MLB agreed to. Meanwhile we move on while players are drunk driving, beating women, and even committing murder. Integrity of the game my butt. Rant over.

It is kind of weird that the NFL comes down so hard on criminal issues like DUI's yet baseball doesn't even bat an eye. A DUI is practically an automatic suspension for NFL players but their is virtually no discipline in MLB for off the field issues (Other then PED's obviously).

And their PED violations get no attention (Von Miller should have been a huge issue) and little punishment.

IMO, they have it right.

I'm not trying to dis-prove your point, but didn't K-Rod assault his girlfriend's father? Not that it really matters...you shouldn't be assaulting anyone, man or woman, but I just didn't remember hearing about him attacking a woman.

That was his first assault while in NY. He was fined and suspended by NY. The second one happened in Milwaukee against his fiance. They both fled the country so nothing ever came of it. This was last Sept, so the Brewers signed him this year, knowing all this.

I know it's hard to keep all of his assaults straight.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121101&content_id=40144320&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Archived