Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks returns to form [Latest: Weeks is done for the season, surgery likely. See post #91]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at least that option isnt going to vest.

Actually it might. He still only needs to get to 600 PA next season as long as he's healthy at the end of the year. It's not just 1,200 combined between 2013 and 2014 as some have said. It also vests with 600 PA in 2014. Obviously, it'll still be hard for him to get to 600 PA with Scooter in play, but it's possible. If the Brewers plan to "go for it" then that may involve Weeks playing every day if Scooter doesn't show much these last couple months. If that happens, and he stays healthy, then the option will vest. It's not a slam dunk like some people seem to think.

Here's the full info from Cot's. They are the best in the business.

"2015 option guaranteed if Weeks is healthy at end of 2014 season and has 600 PAs in 2014 or 1,200 PAs in 2013-14

if option does not vest, Milwaukee may void ($1M buyout if Weeks has 400 PAs in 2014)"

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I really don't think the Brewers will allow it to vest unless Weeks starts out great and continues it throughout the season.

I agree, the chances are pretty low. It's definitely in the realm of possibility though if they are actually trying to compete next year, and also succeed in doing so. I don't see that happening, but really all that needs to happen is for him to be the every day 2B. Again, it mostly depends on Scooter, but they could pull shenanigans to keep him at 599 too.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think we should be safe from that option vesting: my gut says 5% chance. Weeks has only broken 600 twice in his career and tends to go to crap in May. Coming back from an injury, a deep slump, and a couple of sub-par years will give them plenty of reasons to insert Scooter and keep him under 600 even if he doesn't get injured.

At this point have a healthy Weeks playing through the season long enough to get 600 PA seems like about a 5% chance, so I'm not worried about him making 600PA next season. If he does, it means he's healthy and productive for the whole season, at which point I wouldn't be terribly upset if the option did vest. Very, very unlikely at this point, though

I'm not so sure I wouldn't want to pick up Weeks's option. I'd rather gamble on Weeks at $11.5M than give up on the season by relying on Gennett as the starting 2B (though obviously if Weeks is horrible for an entire season again then that changes things).

I wish weeks wouldn't have folded his ankle in half. He was coming off a great year in 2010 and was on pace for an even better 2011, and was putting it together. He was arguably a top 5 second baseman at that time, but has never been the same since.

He is at the point in his career where the injures never fully heal, and it is essentially downhill.

Yeah, latter it came out that he probably should have been done for the year at that point. That was a bad ankle injury and the impact was felt long after that post-season.

I don't have any problem with people having a problem with Weeks salary or wanting him gone, but to go off topic a little bit here I think fans deserve a LITTLE bit of the blame for the whole steroid thing. A guy like Weeks does everything right, plays hard, doesn't say a word, plays his arse off and yet he gets booed and bashed consistently. Meanwhile a guy like Braun gets hurt, takes something, is back in the lineup and everyone is calling him the next Molly or Yount. One would think it puts pressure on a guy like Weeks to "explore," ways to heal quicker and get a little bit of an edge.

I'm eager for the Brewers to be rid of Weeks contract, but he's still one of my favorite Brewers. It's a bit of a shame that he never quite lived up to his hype.

It's worth mentioning that he has the highest WAR of any of the top 5 picks in that 1st round Markakis and Aaron Hill have higher WAR's among position players in that 1st round.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

^^I don't see your point. Are you proposing we stop cheering for players because maybe they took steroids?
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Are you proposing we stop cheering for players because maybe they took steroids?

He's saying we'd still be cheering for Weeks if he took steroids instead of letting his body break down and struggle to recover naturally. I think it's a valid point: had Weeks roided up and it allowed him to come back at full speed in 2011, he'd have been praised as an invincible monster.

Archived