Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun collectibles - perceived value

pepsimax23

Braun items become much less desirable in the short term, but I don't think their long-term value is in serious jeopardy ... yet. There are going to be those people who stop collecting his stuff entirely, and those who sell off what they have. So short term, there's going to be a greater supply and less demand and that is going to impact prices. Of course, this presents a great buy-low opportunity if you think he'll recover (I'm not sure he can, but who knows).

I've seen people who spent a small fortune on their Braun memorabilia. I'm glad I'm not them right now.

That being said, are his collectibles still worth anything? Like usual, it depends on what you're talking about. Game used stuff will almost certainly continue to be worth *something,* but if you bought retail, say, after his MVP campaign, you're probably going to take a bath on it right now.

Im glad the only Braun stuff I have are some t shirts and his all star jerseys (replica not game worn). I guess you could compare to how Bonds memorabilia is doing. I don't know personally, has its value ever recovered?

Mark McGwire is probably the better comp, Bonds being the current holder of a lot of noteworthy records. At the height of the home run chase, McGwire rookie cards, for example, were worth hundreds of dollars. Now, you can pick them up on eBay for about $10 each. PEDs are bad for business.

ebay is flooded with Braun bobbles right now, and will probably only get worse as the casual fans and those who purchased to resell might be trying to unload while they can.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Even locally his popularity will never be as high as it was a couple of years ago. Even if he comes back and puts up great numbers there will always be the segment that will refuse to buy anything associated with him. Plus, collectibles are a national/international thing now so if prices go down drastically nationally then they will go down locally because people that want his stuff now will buy off of ebay from the thousands that are dumping his stuff nationally.

I wonder what they will be doing at Miller Park with the countless t-shirts and jerseys that they sell?

Fire sale?

The most worn player at Miller Park is Braun, his shirts are everywhere.

Glad I'm not one who shelled out the cash for his jersey, but there are a lot of people out there who have, and are now stuck with them.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I got his jersey signed a few years ago. I think I have five of his sigs.

Oh well. I've never sold any of my stuff, it's just for me, so this doesn't change much. I'm not one bothered by steroids, anyone is capable of lying and cheating. I'm just an emotionally distant collector. I never put any of these guys on some pedestal.

I'm just glad there won't be any more bobbles. I think I have like 20 different bobbles of the guy.

I think we're in the bottoming out phase now. I don't think it's possible for value to rebound all the way, but his stuff could come back to half the value it had before. Though that's just a guess.

All of this sports stuff is based on having an emotional investment in the item, and Braun will have this stain forever. Collectors can never be sure how much of his career was aided by unapproved chemistry, so they will steer toward other players.

just got this email from the Brewers in regard to a email I sent, pretty well put I though

Hi Ben. Thanks for taking the time to contact us. The situation with Ryan Braun has resulted in an extraordinarily difficult week for all of us, fans and members of the organization alike. We do firmly believe that the Milwaukee Brewers are not defined by one single player, and we’ll do our best to move past this while not taking for granted the support shown to us by the fans.

In the very near future, we’ll be announcing some plans that we think will be exciting to you and other supporters of the team. The bottom line is that we may not have caused this situation, but we are going to work hard to repair any relationships that have been damaged.

Sincerely,

The Milwaukee Brewers

The Brewers shouldn't have to apologize for the actions of any of their players. Anyone who holds the organization responsible for Braun's mistake is a fool. I don't know this happy youngster guy or his story, but if he or anyone else expects any remorse for his gluttony in Braun memorabilia he is sadly mistaken.

I'm curious what the content and intention of your email was?

Archived