Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod to BAL for 21-year-old High-A 3B Nicky Delmonico

MVP2110
On the Roache front not only are wrists classic long recover type injuries he also had to deal with making the jump to pro-ball at the same time. If his August is like his July I'd say he moves clearly into the #3 spot as the one guy who could be a clear All-star type bat.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if the Carolina league is a hitter or pitcher friendly league? I'm guessing it leans slightly to pitching.

Of the 10 full season leagues, the Carolina League ranks 7th in runs per game, 7th in hits per game, and 6th in home runs per game. (Data from 2010-2012.) They also have a low standard deviation in runs scored per game. So it's definitely a little on the pitcher-friendly side as a league.

Delmonico's home park was below league average in runs per game in 2010-2012, though it did have the highest home run rate in the Carolina League.

Link to highly informative BA article.

I think we need to temper the excitement a bit here. This is not an "absolute steal" or a guy on the level of a supplemental first rounder. He was a 6th rounder in 2011. He's performed to that level, maybe slightly better (he might be a 3-4 round guy if a draft were held today).

He apparently has no defensive skills whatsoever. He's made 12 errors in 63 career games at 1B, and his 3rd base play make Mat Gamel and Ryan Braun look like gold glovers there by comparison.

He's got some pop, and some patience without ridiculous strikeout totals. But he's an under .250 hitter. Profiles to me as a George Kottaras in the making more than a Prince Fielder.

For guys without position, they have to be outstanding hitters. He may become one. He may not. I wouldn't put him in the Brewer top 10. More like around 15. Still he does add depth to a system that can use it so that is a plus.

You should realize that if his defense at third was already really good to go along with his bat for a 21 year old, the odds are very slim that Baltimore would have traded him for a relief pitcher Melvin signed off the street a few months ago and that might pitch 20-25 innings for the Orioles.

I think when he was drafted, he was viewed like Aramis, or Carlos Lee offensively, a really good hitter, but not elite. Defensively, the question has been where to play him, if he sticks at third, then I'll leave the over at Aramis.

He was thought to be a kid who would hit for average, and at least acceptable power, so far, the acceptable power is there, but the average hasn't been. He's young, and he's had to work through some injuries, so I think there's a realistic chance of him reaching his potential with the bat.

The under, I suppose, is Gamel. The kid who looked like it, then wasn't.

Important to keep in mind that Pleskoff very accurately predicted, prior to this season in a similar feature, that Jean Segura had a very real shot at being a star. It's very reassuring to see that Pleskoff sees Delmonico as a third baseman.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Important to keep in mind that Pleskoff very accurately predicted, prior to this season in a similar feature, that Jean Segura had a very real shot at being a star. It's very reassuring to see that Pleskoff sees Delmonico as a third baseman.

Was thinking that too. Pleskoff writes about Delmonico so assuredly, and given Pleskoff's past pieces I tend to read them a little more weight.

when does he make his brewers MiLB debut? today?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Was thinking that too. Pleskoff writes about Delmonico so assuredly, and given Pleskoff's past pieces I tend to read them a little more weight.

Same here -- when I first read Pleskoff's piece on Segura, I was skeptical that it was too sunshine-y. Ever since Segura has proved him correct, I also give Pleskoff's opinion a lot of weight.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think we need to temper the excitement a bit here. This is not an "absolute steal" or a guy on the level of a supplemental first rounder. He was a 6th rounder in 2011. He's performed to that level, maybe slightly better (he might be a 3-4 round guy if a draft were held today).

He apparently has no defensive skills whatsoever. He's made 12 errors in 63 career games at 1B, and his 3rd base play make Mat Gamel and Ryan Braun look like gold glovers there by comparison.

He's got some pop, and some patience without ridiculous strikeout totals. But he's an under .250 hitter. Profiles to me as a George Kottaras in the making more than a Prince Fielder.

For guys without position, they have to be outstanding hitters. He may become one. He may not. I wouldn't put him in the Brewer top 10. More like around 15. Still he does add depth to a system that can use it so that is a plus.

I certainly don't "need," to temper any expectations. I was in favor of bringing K-Rod back(knowing he'd be cheap) just in the hopes that he could end up getting us a prospect just like this. In fact when we signed him I brought up trades we'd made in the past...guys like Bob Wickman.

But K-Rod was even a longer shot. Nobody was willing to meet his demands, he signs a minor league deal, and we end up getting a guy that Baltimore gave 1st round money to.

Now I haven't seen him play. I knew little about him before we made the trade. But you seem to just throw things out there that completely and utterly contradict everything else that is said.

He makes Ryan Braun look like a gold glover at 3rd? Not to mention Gamel. See where does this come from? Scouting reports talk about his athletic ability and the fact that he moved THIS YEAR. You're using strictly errors? Seriously?

He's an "under .250 hitter?" So the kid goes straight from HS to LowA and then HiA and more than holds his own and is in the top 10 in the league in several categories and you're going to ding him for that?

George Kottaras? Our 15th best prospect? It's almost as if you're just searching for reasons to NOT like a trade for a guy who had absolutely no value to us.

The kid according to guys like Sickels has a legit chance to stick at 3rd base, they don't want to move him to 1st base because they don't want to waste his athletic ability and his strong arm. He already had great plate discipline....

What exactly are you expecting here? Did you really think Jurickson Profar was going to be handed to us for a reliever we signed to a minor league contract.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Verified Member
How about an over/under for this kid...

the under as good as Gamel

the over not as good as Chipper (maybe .8)

That seems quite aggressive. Based on the descriptions of his skillset I was thinking the over/best-case might be Nick Johnson at 3B. But I doubt his OBP skills are anywhere close to that good.

This is not an "absolute steal" or a guy on the level of a supplemental first rounder. He was a 6th rounder in 2011. He's performed to that level, maybe slightly better (he might be a 3-4 round guy if a draft were held today).

He fell to the sixth round due to an injury and I think signability. The Orioles gave him $1.5M, which is late-first-round money. So to the extent that money = value, I'd say it's fair to call him a supplemental first round type player. With the added value of two years hindsight in which he hasn't been a bust.

You might be thrilled but what I saw over last couple days was very lackadaisical and bad play at 3rd base. On defense, multiple routine plays were given hits that should of been given errors. Not what I would expect from a #4 prospect in any organization. His bat has hopes of glimmer which can hopefully make up for the defense.

Archived