Brewer Fanatic

K-Rod to BAL for 21-year-old High-A 3B Nicky Delmonico

MVP2110

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A sixth round selection by the O's in 2011, catcher and third baseman Nick Delmonico probably has the best pure power bat in the Baltimore system, but it'll be a year or two before we know that for sure. Most intriguing is the reflection that his success in high school came mainly on the strength of his patience and selectivity at the plate: if that kind of discipline can be nurtured in pro ball, he could be a very powerful offensive force indeed. He's a few years away.

first domino to fall

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've read that he won't stick at 3rd. Just one guy though.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member

Not a superstar, but a potential 1B/3B starter is a pretty great return on a free agent SP we signed a month into the season.

John Sickels:

4) Nick Delmonico, 1B, Grade B-: Orioles fans seem to think he'll be a star. I see him more as a solid regular with patience and at least moderate power, but expectations need to be kept reasonable.

Baseball America had him at #4 in the Orioles organization too, and had him as their projected 2017 first baseman.

*Edit* Also, based on his twitter, seems like he goes by Nicky Delmonico?

This is an absolute steal by Melvin. This is a solid pickup for a half a year of Krod.

He is also doing fairly well offensively for a 20 year old in A+

Baseball Reference Page:

From the Scouting book on Delmonico:

A sixth round selection by the O's in 2011, catcher and third baseman Nick Delmonico probably has the best pure power bat in the Baltimore system, but it'll be a year or two before we know that for sure. Most intriguing is the reflection that his success in high school came mainly on the strength of his patience and selectivity at the plate: if that kind of discipline can be nurtured in pro ball, he could be a very powerful offensive force indeed. He's a few years away.

Fangraphs article on Nick Delmonico

From John Sickels:

4) Nick Delmonico, 1B, Grade B-: Orioles fans seem to think he'll be a star. I see him more as a solid regular with patience and at least moderate power, but expectations need to be kept reasonable.

From orioles-nation

High baseball IQ. At one point was seen as a high first round pick. Average bat speed and smooth left handed swing with some loft in his swing, but power hasn’t been seen much yet. Advanced approach at the plate: rarely swings at pitches outside the zone. Slightly below-average speed. Had played catcher in HS, but looks to be a third base, first base, or right field as a pro. Although using him at first base would waste his athletic ability. Strong arm and quick reactions.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He could be a career AAA knuckleball catcher for all I care. I'm just glad to talk about something other than PEDs.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived