Brewer Fanatic

2013 Season Silver Lining

Trying to be a ray of sunshine here on some dark days of Wisconsin sports. I have found some real pleasure in watching the Brewers the past couple of weeks given the influx of youngsters that we all wanted to see at the Major League level. Just looking at the positional players, due to the underperformance or injuries to the projected everyday lineup, the Brewers have been able to get the feet wet of the following in 2013:

1B Halton

2B Gennett

UTIL Bianchi, Prince

OF Schafer, Kh. Davis, Gindl

While we may not have a starter on hand in any of those players, I like what I am beginning to see in terms of some possible bench production moving forward past 2013. On a healthy, non-suspension Brewer team, Schafer looks like a good 4th OF to Braun, Gomez and whoever ends up in RF if Aoki is dealt. Gindl/Halton look like a decent 5th OF/25th man on the roster. Bianchi/Prince have super utility all over them and could be decent backups at a number of positions. Gennett...I am not sold on as a starting 2B and isn't really a UTIL player so I am not real sure what we have there. Add a real power bat (Francisco maybe?) and the Brewers bench is relatively decent and pretty cheap.

Are these guys world beaters? No. If they all start everyday, will the Brewers be in contention? Gosh no. However, with Braun, Segura, Lucroy, Gomez and hopefully some pieces for 1B, 3B, 2B & RF coming in deadline deals, the Brewers may have a decent and diverse bench to back up the starters.

A low pressure season for Wily Peralta to work out his problems. If we were a contending team, I think it's likely that Peralta would have been pulled out of the rotation a while ago. Hopefully we can get an extended look at Thornburg over the remainder of the year as well.

With Braun gone, we can also get a good look at Davis, assuming he gets playing time of course...

Eh, I doubt we'll see Davis or Halton except against lefties. They'll use Schafer/Gindl against RHP and they seem enamored with Francisco's 7 HR in 133 PA, so he's going to start there nearly every day. I like that Bianchi is now getting an extended look. I really think they could do worse than have him start either at 3rd or 2nd.

For me personally it's John Axford. I have always liked his personality and have always rooted for him. It was hard to watch when he was struggling. I know he had to be very concerned at one point about his future and his career. It reminded me of a golfer or an NFL kicker who all of a sudden just loses it (See McIlroy or Crosby).

It's has been great to see him get his game back on track and I really hope the Brewers hold on to him.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Silver lining for 2013?

Let the young guys play. Schafer, Davis, Francisco, Bianchi, Thornburg, etc. Let them get some steady playing time and get a feel about them and see if they are a legitimate part of the team's future.

High draft pick. I'm excited about that.

I want a TOP 3 PICK and that my Silver Lining. I do also agree lets see what Scaffer ,Gindl,Davis can do in the Field, as Well as JF at first even though still struggling at the plate. I would like to See a cople of Starts for TT unless they decided his future role already.

Might as well let the young pitchers pitch...

Thornberg

Fiers

The Power Forward in AAA

anybody remember Billy Parsons and Jim Slaton in the early years?

Mike Fiers broke his arm in June and is out for the season. Seems like a lot of people might be unaware of this.

Might as well let the young pitchers pitch...

Thornberg

Fiers

The Power Forward in AAA

anybody remember Billy Parsons and Jim Slaton in the early years?

Mike Fiers broke his arm in June and is out for the season. Seems like a lot of people might be unaware of this.

oh wow, i had no idea. did that get no press by JS?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived