Brewer Fanatic

Garza to Rangers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Great deal for Chicago. They weren't going to sign Garza, and for a couple of months of the guy, they net a few guys with some decent upside - all for a pitcher that would have gotten them, at best, a supplemental pick in next year's draft (or whatever they call it).

None of the players Chicago got is a sure thing. Olt and Grimm have struggled this year - but you could say the same thing about Peralta up until a month ago. Edwards has been great (albeit in A ball). John Sickels had him the 71st best minor league prospect in his mid-season report (Olt was not in his top 75 list).

Sveum said Garza wouldn't be traded before his start, and then this happens. I don't even know how to react. I always thought Dale was one of the good guys but he's no better than that lying cheater Ryan Braun. Au revoir, cruel world, au revoir.

wow, for a rental... what could Gallardo bring back with the year on contract and option year??

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

This is a big haul for the Cubs. Grimm can be plugged in today. Olt their 3b of the future. and Edwards (according to Nate) a Pitching prospect with #1 potential. This is a better haul than the Brewers got for Grienke.

Depends what Olt the Cubs are getting. He's been pretty bad this year in AAA.

This is a big haul for the Cubs. Grimm can be plugged in today. Olt their 3b of the future. and Edwards (according to Nate) a Pitching prospect with #1 potential. This is a better haul than the Brewers got for Grienke.

FYI, Olt is not the future at 3B for the Cubs. Olt will most likely flipped for pitching in the not-so-distant future. If Olt is the future at 3b for the Cubs it is because Baez is the centerpiece for a blockbuster trade. I simply hope Olt's vision has been corrected. As for Edwards, love the arm but unless he eats a hamburger or two, I don't see him reaching #1 potential. All in all this is one heck of a deal for the Cubs.

FYI, Olt is not the future at 3B for the Cubs. Olt will most likely flipped for pitching in the not-so-distant future. If Olt is the future at 3b for the Cubs it is because Baez is the centerpiece for a blockbuster trade. I simply hope Olt's vision has been corrected. As for Edwards, love the arm but unless he eats a hamburger or two, I don't see him reaching #1 potential. All in all this is one heck of a deal for the Cubs.

No, currently, this lines up to have Olt at 3b with Baez playing SS and Castro moving over to 2b. The Cubs don't have a ML 2b worthwhile to Not move Castro to 2b.

Meanwhile, Doug and Mark keep holding onto their tradeable assets as the potential partners buy elsewhere.

With Melvin's history as a GM, I don't see him trading a pitcher with more than a half a year under contract(lohse and yo) unless he gets a AAA that is MLB ready. He still needs to put out a respectable starting 5 next year. And no, Peralta, Estrada, Fiers, Burgos, Hand, Thornburg or some combo isn't what he will walk into 2014 with. We all know that.

Meanwhile, Doug and Mark keep holding onto their tradeable assets as the potential partners buy elsewhere.

With Melvin's history as a GM, I don't see him trading a pitcher with more than a half a year under contract(lohse and yo) unless he gets a AAA that is MLB ready. He still needs to put out a respectable starting 5 next year. And no, Peralta, Estrada, Fiers, Burgos, Hand, Thornburg or some combo isn't what he will walk into 2014 with. We all know that.

I agree he won't trade both without getting at least one pitcher back that will start next year, but I could see him trade one and not get a 2014 starter back, especially if they got rid of ARam and Aoki and were reloading for 2015. They would have a shakedown year to figure out 1B, 3B, and the young starters. They would have Lohse/Gallardo, Peralta, Estrada, and two of: Gorz, Hand, Fiers, Burgos, Thornburg, Nelson, Hellweg.

The tradeable assets in the rotation will be just as tradeable next year, and a return to his prior form for Gallardo will increase his value. Someone on ESPN quoted a scout as describing Gallardo as a 4-5 starter. That's not going to bring the desired return.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeah at this point it makes no sense to trade Gallardo. Keep him the rest of the year and hope he builds trade value.

Lohse on the other hand should be traded but don't just give him away for the sake of trading him. Hopefully some team will get desperate closer to the deadline.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think we need to see what's offered before making the decision one way or the other as to whether Gallardo or Lohse should be traded. This is more than I thought Garza would bring back in trade, so Melvin has to use that to his advantage.

I've never expected much return from Lohse, but I would be very happy to be wrong. Bringing back any decent return while ridding ourselves of the final years of his contract would be great. Meanwhile, the guys telling ESPN that Gallardo is a #4-5 starter could be trying to get his value down, the same way GM's saying "I'd have to be wowed by the offer" may be doing that to bring the market up. A shrewd GM will know how to play the information-starved, rumor-mongering baseball media. Having a scout give an "anonymous bad review" to a reporter could be a ruse.

Or, maybe not... maybe the consensus is that Gallardo's drop in velocity is a permanent thing. We'll just have to see how it plays out. If we can't find someone to trade to bring good prospects back, then I'm not very upbeat about the future for the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't agree at all.

Olt has bust written all over him.

I don't agree at all.

Olt has bust written all over him.

Being a bust doesn't mean you can't be a major leaguer, and Olt will be a major leaguer.

Archived