Brewer Fanatic

2013-7-21 Marlins (Alvarez) at Brewers (Peralta), 1:10 CDT [Brewers win, 1-0, 13 innings: Gindl's first MLB HR is a walkoff]

jjkoestler

Miami Marlins

A. Hechavarria SS

E. Lucas 3B

G. Stanton RF

L. Morrison 1B

M. Ozuna CF

D. Dietrich 2B

J. Ruggiano LF

R. Brantly C

H. Alvarez P

Milwaukee Brewers

N. Aoki RF

L. Schafer CF

J. Segura SS

J. Francisco 1B

R. Weeks 2B

M. Maldonado C

C. Gindl LF

J. Bianchi 3B

W. Peralta P

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Brewers try to keep Wily Peralta going while resting Jonathan Lucroy

By Todd Rosiak of the Journal Sentinel

Updated: 12:47 p.m.

There's never a good time to rest your hottest hitter.

But with Wily Peralta being the Milwaukee Brewers' hottest starting pitcher, and the success he's had throwing to Martin Maldonado, the decision to give Jonathan Lucroy the day off today in the series finale with the Miami Marlins was pretty cut and dried.

"Do I want to be in there every day? Of course," said Lucroy, who is on a nine-game hitting streak and leads the Brewers in both home runs with 14 and runs batted in with 54.

"But there’s also the old adage, ‘Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.’ The way he’s thrown the past two starts, there’s no reason to put me back there. I can’t communicate with him as well as Maldonado does – that’s a fact. I can’t.

"Communication’s a big thing dealing with pitchers. Whenever Peralta is on, you don’t need the best hitters in the lineup because he’s going to keep the other team down. It’s just a matter of him getting the job done and pitching the way he can, with their ability to communicate, (Maldonado) gives them our best chance."

Indeed, Peralta has been dealing lately. He comes in with a 2-0 record and 0.42 earned-run average in three July starts, the second of which wound up being the Brewers' only complete game over the past three seasons.

His confidence on the mound has been an ongoing issue, so the last thing manager Ron Roenicke wants to do at this point is potentially take Peralta out of his comfort zone by matching him up with Lucroy when he's been throwing to Maldonado all season.

The timing of Lucroy's off day is tough, however, as Carlos Gomez and Ryan Braun are also being held out of the lineup. Gomez is dealing with a variety of nagging injuries, while Braun is trying to work his way back into a more regular routine while coming back from a right-thumb issue.

That left Roenicke with six position players hitting between .180 (Maldonado) and .248 (Juan Francisco) against Miami right-hander Henderson Alvarez.

Getting Lucroy into the lineup at a position other than catcher is a potential solution, but not one that will be utilized this season. He's only played one game at first base, in the late innings, and his comfort level there isn't nearly high enough for Roenicke to consider starting him there.

"He doesn’t want to go out there and have a chance to make a bad play and it cost us," Roenicke said.

"It isn’t that easy. The thing is, if he does it for a while he should be good at it. He’s got really good hands. That’s why Maldy is able to do it – they’re used to balls in the dirt and where you have to come up to pick them. Then it’s just trying to figure out where you are on the field, how do you get to the bag and turn and make sure you’re still on it.

"If he worked at it, he could do it."

There are plans in the works for Lucroy to begin learning another position beginning next spring so that Roenicke can use him for the odd game here and there when Maldonado is catching and Lucroy is going well at the plate.

"I’ve talked to Ron about it, I’ve talked to Jerry (Narron) about it – looking into some outfield stuff, maybe, some first base," he said. "Obviously just keeping the options there to where I can stay in the lineup on a day that I take off if I’m going well.

"You always want to keep the sticks in the lineup to give yourself the best chance to win, so if there’s any way I can stay in the lineup by being in the outfield or playing first base for a game, then that’s what we’re going to try and do."

Outfield is an intriguing possibility for Lucroy, and a transition that catchers don't normally explore. But Lucroy is athletic at 6 feet and 194 pounds, and fast enough to be able to play a corner position on occasion.

"I know we’ve got a lot of outfielders here," he said. "But I think I’m athletic enough to be able to play some outfield. It’s just a matter of making the routine plays and knowing the situational stuff – hitting the cutoff man, stuff like that I’m not used to seeing."

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Lots of changes for Brewers today

By Todd Rosiak of the Journal Sentinel

July 21, 2013 10:32 a.m.

The Milwaukee Brewers will try for a series sweep of the Miami Marlins this afternoon at Miller Park without three major bats in their lineup.

Jonathan Lucroy, Carlos Gomez and Ryan Braun are all out today -- Lucroy because Martin Maldonado always catches Wily Peralta; Carlos Gomez presumably because he's mired in a lengthy slump; and Braun likely because he played two consecutive games as he continues to deal with right-thumb soreness.

The Brewers haven't registered a series sweep since April 19-21 (Cubs). They're also going for a third consecutive shutout.

Brewers

RF Norichika Aoki

CF Logan Schafer

SS Jean Segura

1B Juan Francisco

2B Rickie Weeks

C Martin Maldonado

LF Caleb Gindl

3B Jeff Bianchi

P Wily Peralta

Marlins

SS Adeiny Hechavarria

3B Ed Lucas

RF Giancarlo Stanton

1B Logan Morrison

CF Marcell Ozuna

2B Derek Dietrich

LF Justin Ruggiano

C Rob Brantly

P Henderson Alvarez

We'll be lucky to score today. Keep it going, Wily. You're pretty much on your own.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Wily is dominating right now. I am so glad I bought all those Topps Chrome autos early on. I think soon they're going to start getting a little more expensive.

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/7982/12tchromewperaltaatomic.png

Check out Wily's stats in his last 6 starts:

41 1/3 IP, 25 hits, 15 walks, 32 strikeouts. 4 earned runs

3-1 0.87 ERA 0.977 WHIP

Oh ya, baby!

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Jesus, Francisco, how many balls in the dirt can you swing at in one game.

Come on, can we please score and end this thing???

I'm hearing the same thing on the television broadcast. They're trying to stay positive, but they're ready to go home, and a little bored. Brian especially sounded a little put off after we failed to drive Jean in.

Caleb Gindl wins it with his first career home run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Walk off bomb!!!!!!!

What a month so far for Wily, and it's not just luck the BB and K rates have been much better. And happy for Gindl too a little bit of production early on really helps generate more chances.

That just made my night!!!!!!

Buyers...at 15 games under .500? I don't see it happening.

Like the series in Miami, this was a nice Florida holiday. Thank goodness Caleb had that hit, as I was frankly unsure how the Brewers would ever drive in a run other than with one swing.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived