Brewer Fanatic

The Trade Two Relievers to Detroit Thread

What am I missing that Castellanos' name is being brought up in trades for relief pitching? The kid is a stud and I would be surprised if two RP and Aoki got him. I would do that deal in a heart beat. I dont think there is anyway we get another play thrown in. A decent OF and two RP for a top 30 prospect? Seems lopsided to me. Now our tradeable comp pick might be a good chip here.

Castellanos' natural position is at 3b. One that is occupied by the best 3b in baseball, Miguel Cabrera for who knows how many more seasons?

Detroit has moved him to RF down in the minors but you just don't know how well he sticks out there defensively. If he can't cut it, then Detroit has a AAA player only in Castellanos. So if you can help patch up your team to win the World Series by trading a AAA player by all means they have to do so.

What am I missing that Castellanos' name is being brought up in trades for relief pitching? The kid is a stud and I would be surprised if two RP and Aoki got him. I would do that deal in a heart beat. I dont think there is anyway we get another play thrown in. A decent OF and two RP for a top 30 prospect? Seems lopsided to me. Now our tradeable comp pick might be a good chip here.

Castellanos' natural position is at 3b. One that is occupied by the best 3b in baseball, Miguel Cabrera for who knows how many more seasons?

Detroit has moved him to RF down in the minors but you just don't know how well he sticks out there defensively. If he can't cut it, then Detroit has a AAA player only in Castellanos. So if you can help patch up your team to win the World Series by trading a AAA player by all means they have to do so.

Man I hope you are right but if I were a Tigers fan I would be ticked if they traded Castellanos for a RP or two and Aoki. Castellanos should be able to get an All-Star or better, not two older relievers and an okay OF. If Melvin makes that trade he is a thief so I hope you are right!

Yeah... I think it's a pipe dream that the Brewers would be able to get Castellanos for a couple relievers and even with Aoki added in. Even if he is blocked, it's only for 1 more season. After next year, Victor Martinez will move on and Prince or Cabrera will move to DH, opening up a spot for him. And even if Detroit was interested in moving him, like jjfanec says, it's going to be for something more than a couple rental relief pitchers and a decent OF. Anyone hoping for Castellanos is opening themselves up for massive disappointment.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Castellanos would be awesome, but it's a dream.

Detroit is getting him playing time in LF in the minors. And if that doesn't work out, that's okay for them. Next year I wouldn't be surprised if Prince is moved to DH and Cabrerra is moved back to 1B, opening 3B for Castellanos.

I know Detroit has another year on the contract of Victor Martinez at DH, but the guy is a shell of his former self. The Tigers might just let him go.

Castellanos would be a perfect fit for Milwaukee, but it would likely take a lot more than Aoki and some bullpen arms.

No way are the Tigers going to trade their top prospect for a package of goods from the Brewers. I could maybe see it if the reliever in question was elite, young and under control for a few more years... but K-Rod is none of those. Aoki is a very good player, but he's not going to sweeten things enough to pry a guy like that away. Think about the trades that the Brewers made around the deadline when they were in contention. The only time they gave up a top prospect was for Sabathia, and I don't believe that LaPorta was as highly rated as this guy. Usually, it was low minor guys or fringe guys at AAA. I wouldn't expect it to be any different for a guy that anyone could have had for free about 3 months ago.

Detroit's in kind of a weird position here, they've gone for it, they have a very expensive, veteran team backed by a thin farm system with one big piece at the top.

They're trying to win a World Series - NOW - and their bullpen has kept them from even shedding Cleveland in the division race.

Don't assume Castellanos cannot be had, you may be right, and I get it, but this isn't a team that is showing patience, nor a team that is interested in three years from now - this is a team that gave huge money to Prince, big money to Anibal Sanchez, and then grabbed Torii Hunter. If they think a move would put them over the top, they'll make that move.

No one would trade Zach Wheeler's entire MLB career for two months of Carlos Beltran, right?

Community Moderator
Man I hope you are right but if I were a Tigers fan I would be ticked if they traded Castellanos for a RP or two and Aoki. Castellanos should be able to get an All-Star or better, not two older relievers and an okay OF. If Melvin makes that trade he is a thief so I hope you are right!

I also have a hard time envisioning any trade with the Tigers that would include Castellanos as a return (aside from the Brewers including Gomez). But if Melvin somehow ripped Castellanos from the Tigers organization...

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
What can we realistically expect for KRod? Can we get a pitching prospect with #3 upside? I'd say if not then ask for a position player. We have enough 4's and 5's.

In my opinion, if K-Rod was the lone piece traded to the Tigers he may be able to bring back something along the lines of 24 year old LHP Casey Crosby. Crosby is likely a #4/5 starter or reliever in the future. Crosby has an MLB quality fastball, but poor command. He does have a K/9 ratio of 9.5 at AAA this season, but unfortunately it is coupled with 6.2 BB/9.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Scouting Books top 10 Detroit Rankings:

Castellanos #31

Avisail Garcia #97

Bruce Rondon #101

and the drop offs:

Jake Thompson RHP #224

Jonathon Crawford RHP #247 Not available in trade til 2014

Adam Wilk LHP #254

Tyler Collins OF #292

Casey Crosby LHP #306

Austin Schotts OF #317

Brenny Paulino RHP #369

You look at those rankings and players and it's Castellanos, Garcia,Rondon, Thompson, and Crosby as the only 5 that should even be connected in trade for s headline of a deal. Few things, Garcia is blocked by Austin Jackson in CF. Who'd be blocked by Gomez. Rondon I wouldn't mind as a future closer in Milwaukee if it's just KRod sent in trade. Thompson seems a #3-4 type pitcher at this point. Crosby has control problems and I wouldn't see him to fill a SP roll. Likely a future LOOGY

So if I had a choice, it's go for the Gusto with Castellanos. Offer up 3 players if need be to get him Aoki/KRod/+2nd RP. May be enticing enough.

If I were Detroit's FO, I'd likely look at Garcia being CF of future and look to trade Jackson in the offseason to reacquire a the talent lost in Castellanos but doing so filling a need on the team Castellanos didn't.

Shooting for the moon is always nice, but getting two pitchers back say Rondon and Crosby for K-rod still strikes me as a pretty solid deal. Sure there's a number of guys injured, but overall AA and AAA we're pretty thin on pitchers we can still count as prospects so I see little wrong with trying to fill the cupboard a little bit with options. Pitchers being so hard to predict I think there is more of a quantity argument to be had.

Why would we keep everybody? K-Rod is a no-comp free agent after this year, it makes zero sense not to deal him.

Relievers are so hit and miss from year to year, no one could have predicted the pen would be this good this year any more than they could have predicted they would be so bad last year. It makes sense to take advantage of that this year in a non-contending year to cash in on some of those performances.

I will be incredibly disappointed if we do nothing before the deadline.

Why would we keep everybody? K-Rod is a no-comp free agent after this year, it makes zero sense not to deal him.

I can't find it, where did anyone say we should keep our relievers?

If Melvin doesn't trade KRod, Gonzalez, and Axford then he should get canned. KRod and Gonzalez are free agents and Axford probably won't be offered arby.

I can't find it, where did anyone say we should keep our relievers?

If Melvin doesn't trade KRod, Gonzalez, and Axford then he should get canned. KRod and Gonzalez are free agents and Axford probably won't be offered arby.

Sorry, I forgot to post the link.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/22841307/dodgers-tigers-red-sox-among-teams-showing-interest-in-k-rod

"No team has yet pushed hard to complete a deal for any of the Brewer relievers, sources say, and there's some belief that none will be traded until much closer to the July 31 non-waiver deadline."

I get waiting until the last minute to try to get the most possible value, but these aren't players we are in position to play hardball with as trade bait. Take whatever the highest offer is right before the deadline.

The way Axford has pitched since the first 2 weeks makes me think he absolutely will be offered arby. If 1 or 2 guys out of the bullpen are traded I think it is a given Axford will be back. He has been tremendous and due to the lack of saves his 2014 salary probably won't go up all that much.

I think Krod and Gomzalez are as good as gone. Axford probably stays and Henderson probably stays. Henderson is cheap, productive, and pre arby. It would take a lot for me to get rid of him despite his age

I think Axford will be offered arby too, but I'm not really sure why. He is a ridiculously expensive option for us. Given typical raises in arbitration and his performance, I would say he will make about $7M in arbitration next year. That's a number he probably couldn't even demand on the FA market.

Given the volatile nature of relievers in general, but particularly Axford, his price tag makes no sense for what is essentially a rebuilding ball club, particularly when he's not even the closer.

I would definitely trade him for any reasonable offer before the deadline.

I remember there was alot of angst as to why in the world Melvin signed KRod to a minor leage deal earlier this year, knowing they'd have to pay him the veteran minimum if he was put on the Brewers' roster this season - looking like a solid move by Melvin, because he's going to be able to add much needed young talent to the organization by trading KRod - without paying too much of his salary.

I questioned why he was initially signed in the middle of the Brewers tailspin out of contention...now it looks like a solid baseball move (assuming KRod is indeed traded)

Archived