Brewer Fanatic

2013 Competitive Balance Lottery

splitterpfj

July 17

Competitive Balance Lottery (and, if necessary, Forfeited Pick Lottery) *Tentative

First date that assignable Draft selections may be traded (through Sept. 29, 2013)

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

these were the pick results for the comp lottery picks last month

A 34 KC Sean Manaea LHP Indiana State (Ind.)

A 35 MIA Matt Krook LHP St. Ignatius College Prep (Calif.)

A 36 ARZ Aaron Blair RHP Marshall (W.Va.)

A 37 BAL Josh Hart CF Parkview HS (Ga.)

A 38 CIN Michael Lorenzen RHP Cal State - Fullerton (Calif.)

A 39 DET Corey Knebel RHP Texas (Texas)

B 69 SD Jordan Paroubeck CF Serra HS (Calif.)

B 70 COL Alex Balog RHP University of San Francisco (Calif.)

B 71 OAK Chad Pinder SS Virginia Tech (Va.)

B 72 MIL Tucker Neuhaus SS Wharton HS (Fla.)

B 73 MIA Colby Suggs RHP Arkansas (Ark.)

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Yep, it's this afternoon. I remember the same thing from last year, they don't publicize it at all.

I wrote a piece on it for my website last year, and people were like, "Oh yeah, I forgot they were doing that."

I think its fantastic that these picks can be traded, it makes me wish all draft picks could be traded

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

So it will be this afternoon? Someone should tweet Haudricourt or McCalvy to see if they are on it. If I recall, there is a chance the Brewers will receive nothing.

its based on market size and I think attendance and previous season winning percentage? milwaukee has the smallest market in baseball, so i think its safe to assume they'll always get a pick in this.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

from McCavly's article from last summer:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120718&content_id=35142618&notebook_id=35145564&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

It's complicated. But here's a primer on Wednesday's lottery:

For Compensation Round A, the 10 smallest-market teams and 10 lowest-revenue teams were entered into a lottery, with odds of winning based on last year's regular-season record, for six picks after the first round and before the second round of next year's Draft. Because of crossover in those two groups, 13 teams were eligible this year.

The Royals, Pirates, D-backs, Orioles, Reds and Marlins won those selections on Wednesday.

Then, the eligible teams that did not win a Round A pick were added back into the hopper for Round B, along with any other team that received revenue sharing. This year, only one other team qualified -- the Tigers.

The Round B winners were, in order, the Padres, Indians, Rockies, Athletics, Brewers and Tigers.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Colorado wins the lottery so they'll pick first.

Edit: Brewers get the last pick in the first phase, #37 overall.

32. Rockies

33. Orioles

34. Indians

35. Marlins

36. Royals

37. Brewers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Colorado wins the lottery so they'll pick first.

Edit: Brewers get the last pick in the first phase, #37 overall.

32. Rockies

33. Orioles

34. Indians

35. Marlins

36. Royals

37. Brewers

Fantastic. I'll take what is, essentially, a supplemental 1st round pick. Nice to have.

I was wondering where this was going to be posted. Yes! a 1st rd. selection this year not a 2nd!

I am thinking a top 5 pick will be very possible.

A lot depends on how many players teams sell off in the next 2 weeks. I'm thinking anywhere from 4 to 8 when all is said and done.

top 5 pick should be likely.

Briggs, the teams under us, Houston and Miami actually have talented players to play w/o really trading away much talent. Miami is done trading aside from Cishek. Houston can trade pitching I suppose but the players they may call up may actually be better than Harrel? and Norris. Miami has the core 4 going of Turner,Fernandez,Alvarez, and Eovaldi to go with Slowey/Sanabia as #5s. Those two teams are better than us with every callup they make. Houston has 5 top 50 prospects and at least 2 of them should see time here before the season ends.

The only teams I worry to compete with us is White Sox,Twins, Padres in terms of passing our 3rd worst in standings currently.

Anyway back to the pick. This is great, because I'd fully expect a kind of Kansas City move with drafting a College Senior to sign under slot early and then go b2b with 37/4X pick of High Upside HS that they can go over slot to sign. Hopefully then gaining 3 top 25 players overall.

Community Moderator

I love the Competitive Balance Lottery! A free pick after the 1st round that becomes an instant trade commodity? Yes please!

One of the biggest advantages of having 3 of the top 50 selections is that the Brewers will have one of the largest spending pools in next year's draft. It will allow them a lot more flexibility in determining what draft strategy to employ.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Here's the full rundown, Oakland and Cincinnati did not win a pick...

Competitive Balance Round A

Rockies

Orioles

Indians

Marlins

Royals

Brewers

Competitive Balance Round B

Padres

Diamondbacks

Cardinals

Rays

Pirates

Mariners

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Why the bleep are the Cardinals in there?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Here's the full rundown, Oakland and Cincinnati did not win a pick...

Competitive Balance Round A

Rockies

Orioles

Indians

Marlins

Royals

Brewers

Competitive Balance Round B

Padres

Diamondbacks

Cardinals

Rays

Pirates

Mariners

Let's see. Top ten pick next year likely. Competitive balance pick available to be traded. Let's get on the Diamondbacks phone flip our draft picks and they take Gallardo. We get the prospects we want. Or talk to Boston about Aramis Ramirez offering up the pick and Aramis for a cpl of their SP prospects and Middlebrooks.

This is great in that the pick can be traded and when it comes to attempting to move a large salary player like Aramis,Gallardo,Lohse, and Weeks, throwing in the draft pick to get a better return may be the over the top convince to do the deal.

Call up Tampa offer to flip the picks and give them Aoki for Taylor Guerrieri.

Melvin has a chance by us getting the 1st rd selection to use it to maybe make a trade otherwise wouldn't be able to do. Hopefully, he gets creative that way to get a star prospect sorely needed in our system.

So how is everyone going to feel when Doug throws the pick in to get a marginal prospect because he is ready to play in 2014?

top 40 pick won't get a Marginal Player. It's like the scenario I put with the Rays. Guerrieri was a 24th selection with our pick being a mid 30 selection. It's reasonable for a team to give up an up and coming prospect for a player that they control for 1yr+ by justifying that they also get a draft pick similar to where they found said prospect. Really it could turn in to, Guerrieri for Aoki+ so and so they use the draft pick on and Tampa could say they got the best of the deal because of the success that pick turns out for them.

Meanwhile, for the Brewers if they can nab a SP the talent of Guerrieri, I'd call that a very successful use of that draft pick.

Archived