Brewer Fanatic

Revamping the infield to play to strengthes of future Brewers starter pitchers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Interesting article at Disciples of Uecker talking about Peralta, as well as the future of the Brewer pitching staff.

http://disciplesofuecker.com/wily-peralta-is-turning-it-around/13248

The thing that is interesting is that the Brewers are on track to have a very ground ball oriented pitching staff in the coming years. Peralta, Hellweg, Jimmy Nelson and Jungmann are all ground ball pitchers (see the article for all the numbers).

Yet in 2013 we have one of the worst infield defenses in baseball (-25.4 UZR combined - ouch). Our staff has the third worse BABIP for ground balls in all of baseball. At .249, it's 20 points worse than average. On average, we have given up 23 more hits on ground balls than other teams. Pittsburgh has given up 55 fewer hits on ground balls than Milwaukee.

This makes me think (as does the author) that the Brewers need to consider revamping their infield, focusing on some good (or at least, better) gloves. It means getting rid of Weeks and A-Ram. And figuring out 1B. Segura is probably average at SS - and will hopefully improve as he plays there more often.

I worry that our pitchers are not going to be great - but they can be decent, if backed by a defense that plays to their strength. But if you have a bunch of clods and out-of-position guys out there every day, you'll basically give up any advantage the upcoming pitchers might have.

Of course, getting a new, good fielding 3B and 2B (and maybe 1B) isn't exactly a simple thing. But maybe we should consider it a better way of molding the team in the coming years. I don't think we have to go overboard and have a bunch of gold glove type guys - but with the staff we are going to have, it might be prudent to add some better gloves - even if it sacrifices some offense.

The only potential replacements in our minor league system are Hunter Morris (1B) and Scooter Gennett (2B). I don't think either is considered a wiz with the glove. But maybe at least one guy could stick, if he can hit okay and field average.

I think some trades would be in order to add some additional starting pitching prospects and bring in some young bats. The bright side is that you're not necessarily needing to acquire top 50 type prospects (not that we don't want them, it's just that they are very costly - if even available). You can look to get a 3B and a 2B who are more mid-tier type prospects - good glove guys with passable bats. Those types of guys are probably more readily available.

I'd consider trading just about anyone at this time, including Aoki, Gallardo, Lohse, A-Ram and bullpen arms.

I also think the Brewers should consider moving Braun to 1B (assuming they feel they have someone who can replace him). I'm just not sold on Morris, and it probably helps Braun long term stay healthier. As a former 3B, I think Ryan would make and excellent 1B.

I think the best move to consider in the future would be to find a really good defensive SS and move Segura to 2B. He'd likely be well above average defensively at 2B, which he isn't at SS. This plan would at least lock down the middle of the IF defensively.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I know that, which is why I said find one. Would have to come in a trade most likely. I don't really see the SS in the system being able to hit enough to warrant an everyday spot in the lineup. Segura can probably stay at SS for awhile, but I think if a good defensive SS who can hit well enough could be had in a trade I'd do it.

I think the best move to consider in the future would be to find a really good defensive SS and move Segura to 2B. He'd likely be well above average defensively at 2B, which he isn't at SS. This plan would at least lock down the middle of the IF defensively.

I wonder about this as well. Perhaps it's a matter of who's available at SS and 2B that drives the decision making. A slick fielding, decent hitting SS is going to cost a bit more than a similar player limited to 2B.

Lets focus on revamping our roster with good players before we start catering to pitchers who may never be a part of a regular season rotation.

fixed. but seriously, come on...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

You want a good defensive infield, and you are suggesting putting Braun at 1B?

It is simply a suggestion. From the snarky and condescending tone and content of your reply, it sounds as if you don't like the idea. Simply mocking someone's comment isn't really productive, and, frankly, not very fun for anyone. It hijacks threads and deters people from participating. My apologies if that was not your intent or I have misconstrued your reply.

As for Braun, his issues at 3B (errors) were often cited as poor footwork and an erratic arm. If that's the case, playing 1B would make those issues (mostly) negligible.

Perhaps I'm wrong about his problems. Maybe there was a lot more. Maybe he had limited range and poor reactions as well. It's been quite a few years, and it's hard to make judgements after so long.

But if not, putting him at 1B could help prolong his career as a hitter. He's a guy that gets lots of little injuries - muscle tweaks, etc. Maybe a less demanding defensive position would help him, especially as he gets a little older. That's assuming he can play the position decent.

Also, as Braun gets older, his defense in LF could become a liability. If he can play a decent 1B, and we can find a replacement for him in the OF, that certainly helps out.

Lets focus on revamping our roster with good players before we start catering to pitchers who may never be a part of a regular season rotation.

I have no idea what your post is getting at.

It is simply a suggestion. From the snarky and condescending tone and content of your reply, it sounds as if you don't like the idea. Simply mocking someone's comment isn't really productive, and, frankly, not very fun for anyone. It hijacks threads and deters people from participating. My apologies if that was not your intent or I have misconstrued your reply.

C'mon man...

It was a simple comment, it wasn't meant to stir up a paragraph in return.

Sometimes, this board is so ultra touchy, it's hard to reply for fear that someone is going to take something you say the wrong way. How can my comment possibly deter others from participating? Message boards are made for opinions, and someone who has an opinion that does not match yours should not always be considered mockery. Hijacking the thread? Seriously?

Braun was so bad defensively at 3B, it seems improbable that he can step in and man any infield position. Not saying it can't be done, but my first reaction was based on how poorly he played in the IF his first time around.

Wasn't being snarky or condescending, and there was no tone, it was a simple comment.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

junngmann, pena, nelson... all havent even played in the majors yet, let alone playoffs, so projecting the infield defense to play behind pitchers who are still in AA right now is sort of insane.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

C'mon man...

It was a simple comment, it wasn't meant to stir up a paragraph in return.

Sometimes, this board is so ultra touchy, it's hard to reply for fear that someone is going to take something you say the wrong way. How can my comment possibly deter others from participating? Message boards are made for opinions, and someone who has an opinion that does not match yours should not always be considered mockery. Hijacking the thread? Seriously?

Braun was so bad defensively at 3B, it seems improbable that he can step in and man any infield position. Not saying it can't be done, but my first reaction was based on how poorly he played in the IF his first time around.

Wasn't being snarky or condescending, and there was no tone, it was a simple comment.

Thank you for the reply. My apologies I mistook the comment.

I don't think anyone is offended when someone disagrees with them. In fact, I think those opinions are vital. When people engage in conversations it is what makes things really fun.

Tossing off a sentence or a few words ripping something - without any explanation - just doesn't seem like a great help to the conversation.

Again, sorry I misconstrued what you intended.

Thank you for the reply. My apologies I mistook the comment.

I don't think anyone is offended when someone disagrees with them. In fact, I think those opinions are vital. When people engage in conversations it is what makes things really fun.

Tossing off a sentence or a few words ripping something - without any explanation - just doesn't seem like a great help to the conversation.

Again, sorry I misconstrued what you intended.

Not a problem, all is well.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Whoever the pitchers are shouldn't matter. The infield defense has been pretty crappy for a few years now and needs to improve.

Agreed. Laughing it off because some of the pitchers mentioned may not end up being in the rotation isn't the right way to look at it. It needs to improve no matter what.

junngmann, pena, nelson... all havent even played in the majors yet, let alone playoffs, so projecting the infield defense to play behind pitchers who are still in AA right now is sort of insane.

Oh, I had no idea you were agreeing with me.

Archived